• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

my audiophile system.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
I centered my sectional couch more separated the speakers even more and I put some insulation on the wall behind the main speakers ports softening out the sound even more, I was getting more base and sound bouncing than needed in the room from the wall.
It made a huge difference (It's just an old audiophile trick now they have fancy sound blocking tiles and all that but this works great and was free.
IMG-2168.JPG

IMG-2167.JPG

IMG-2176.JPG

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Lose the 5000f's...swap the sub to corner and turn the gain down on it as needed.

Boom. Stereo soundstage.
Actually I changed the position's of the speakers now I am getting some really cool sound I will be putting the RP5000F's where they should be soon as I get new wire and connectors, But for now ,RIGHT now I do get Dolby surround sound that actually sounds AMAZING!
It was really just the position of the front speakers in reference to the front side speakers. I had them backwards making the sound come out all messed up no longer!
And once I get them where they should be or closer to that "Area" it will only get better.
IMG-2178.JPG

Oh and another thing I noticed with these speakers, They are (If it is even possible) sounding better each day. How can this be?
I mean I know about the breaking and all that but this is really weird.

Last edited:

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
You are breaking them in, and they are loosening up, that's why they sound better.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
You are breaking them in, and they are loosening up, that's why they sound better.
It sure is nice to hear.
I also noticed something that is very odd , Now keep in mind all I did was eliminate the bare wire hookup and went with banana clips and I soldered all connections and ran 16 gauge wire to the rear speakers not 14 and now My DBX soundfield 3x2 RS plus sound absolutely AMAZING even the Sony's sound better. Soldering the wire really helped out a ton. I can not tell you how important that little thing is. that and the size and quality of the wire I still have cheep wire 100 foot roll was 12 bucks soon as I can afford good wire I bet it will blow my mind even more!

A true Audiophile setup is one that you can NOT stop listening to. IMHO. And I can NOT stop listening to mine NOW This Denon AVR-3802 really SHINES BIG, BOLD AND BRIGHT NOW!

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
that and the size and quality of the wire I still have cheep wire 100 foot roll was 12 bucks soon as I can afford good wire I bet it will blow my mind even more!
Bet it wont.. ;)

I'm still unclear how these are wired...your system. Are your speakers hooked up to FL/C/FR/LS/RS/LR/RR or just A/B and stereo? I see earlier you mentioned stereo and '7 channel stereo'... but now mention sides etc.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Bet it wont.. ;)

I'm still unclear how these are wired...your system. Are your speakers hooked up to FL/C/FR/LS/RS/LR/RR or just A/B and stereo? I see earlier you mentioned stereo and '7 channel stereo'... but now mention sides etc.
Yeah I'm just joking on that.
It is better now that the right size (NOTE the word SIZE) wire is driving them. That is the most important thing. I was using the crap I had from my bedroom setup.

My setup is hooked up exactly the way you would hook up any normal Dolby surround sound, All that is confusing you is the very placement of the speakers and as I have stated before my area is well NOT a theater it is a Ranch HOME this means crappy hillbilly layout. with a stupid gas fireplace as the main focal point and NOT an entertainment system.

SO I am getting surround sound just Not the way it is truly meant to be but I can hear it and it sounds okay. TBH I am going to need a Amp to drive the Dolby or NEO6 it's not "Loud" enough not at all like 7 channel with this going it much "louder".

Last edited:
Just joking, yet you doubled down on the point...lol. Anyway, size may not have been the issue... read the article and do the math. Fill in the knowledge gaps. :)

Yeah, your placement is what it is due to the room, but with rear sounds coming from the front... ick! I'd rather run stereo, personally.

I have a fireplace too. My speakers flank the fireplace (needs to be wider, honestly) with the audio components off to the left, subwoofer in the right corner. I dont have a rear wall so I mounted two shelves high and behind the sitting area and used bookshelf speakers for my surrounds. The center channel is currently above the monitor helping to bring the soundstage up to the monitor (though it stretches it quite a bit since my towers are on the floor). This summer I am ditching the front towers and going to flush wall mounts next to the tv and a larger sub since I am losing some bass (not base, mind you) in going to smaller wall mounts. This will be a proper front sound stage.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Size may not have been the issue... read the article and do the math.

Yeah, your placement is what it is due to the room, but with rear sounds coming from the front... ick! I'd rather run stereo, personally.

I have a fireplace too. My speakers flank the fireplace (needs to be wider, honestly) with the audio components off to the left, subwoofer in the right corner. I dont have a rear wall so I mounted two shelves high and behind the sitting area and used bookshelf speakers for my surrounds. The center channel is currently above the monitor helping to bring the soundstage up to the monitor (though it stretches it quite a bit since my towers are on the floor). This summer I am ditching the front towers and going to flush wall mounts next to the tv and a larger sub since I am losing some bass (not base, mind you) in going to smaller wall mounts. This will be a proper front sound stage.
All I know for the hooking up of the speakers is what the denon says. I hooked them to channel "B" not sure but that I was to believe would be the R/L "side channel".
The "Front" are Front L/R.
So you would have sound Surrounding you the Front Channel is Front L/R , Front SR/SL. Right?
I do not want to hook up front R/L speakers and Rear R/L speakers that would be stupid right?
In other words I do not want to have my rear speakers in the front with the front left and right Speakers now do I?

OMG I think I just confused myself and gave myself a headache.

Last edited:
All I know for the hooking up of the speakers is what the denon says. I hooked them to channel "B" not sure but that I was to believe would be the R/L "side channel" Te "Front" are Front L/R.
So you would have sound Surrounding you the Front Channel is Front L/R , Front SR/SL. Right?
I do not want to hook up front R/L speakers and Rear R/L speakers that would be stupid right?
See... this is why you are confusing (at least me)... now we are back to A/B and L/R which is NOT how you connect "any dolby surround sound".What you just described in the previous post is simple STEREO, not surround.

Surround sound has unique sound/data for each channel in the case of 5.1+. Front L/R, Center, and Rear L/R (+ sub channel) for 5.1 surround. You're just pushing L/R through four speakers up front (for whatever reason).

If you want true surround, when your room can handle it, you'll have to connect the speakers where they are supposed to go... which for surround purposes are not "B" speakers. Speakers on "B" are intended to use in other rooms (not the 'A" room) for example, not a stereo sound wall. B is not the "side channel"...yikes.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
See... this is why you are confusing (at least me)... now we are back to A/B and L/R which is NOT how you connect "any dolby surround sound".

What you just described in the previous post is simple STEREO. Surround sound has unique sound/data for each channel... Front L/R, Center, and Rear L/R for 5.1 surround. You're just pushing L/R through four speakers up front (for whatever reason).
OH for the LOVE of GOD! If you hook it up the way that they tell you then it's WRONG?! WTF! I am confused. There are like ONLY 2 Speaker configurations that are given for setting up this SYSTEM! I have seen the MANUEL!
Unless I am missing a shit ton of information and have been given BS for the 30 years then yeah send me and exact diagram of the way that they should be hooked up for a room like mine.
I am ONLY going by the Manuel.
This is an older system Not some new Atmos thing I'm lucky it has Dolby.

AND NO I'M NOT GOING TO GET RID OF ANY SPEAKERS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Who's manuel? Manual. :)

See my edits in previous post...

If the receiver is surround sound, each channel has its own speaker outputs, bud. A/B is stereo L and R. Not side, not surround, nada. Stereo.

Edit: I've mentioned MULTIPLE times in your thread here to simply run stereo L and R until you get room to add surround speakers and connect them in the proper location on your receiver.

Last edited:
System Name Firebird
Processor Intel i7 2600K @5.0'ish 24/7 stock core Voltage {5.2 w/102 bCLK}
Motherboard Intel Extreme DZ68BC SkullTrail Z68 Cougerpoint, Excellent MCH !
Cooling Scythe NINJA PLUS Rev.B[skt478] Modded to 1155 Scythe SH12 fan
Memory Samsung 32nm 16Gb 4x4 (@19xxmhz} low profile[ better than 2133 banwidth]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aurosus 1080Ti
Storage Intel 512 SSD,Samsung 9701Tb, Toshiba 3Tbx2,Hitachi 320,1TBx2,'Cuda 400 7200.10, WD1TBUSB,to SATA
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440 27" WQHD, Samsung 226W, Vizio M60C3 4K 60",Vizio XVT3D554SV
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Intel 10ch[9+1] HD Audio X540> Pioneer VSX39TX[copper chasis,Rosewood sides 5x6LCD remote
Power Supply Seasonic X750 @ 24/7
Mouse Logictech G300s
Keyboard Saitek Cyborg v7
Software Windows 7 ROG E3 X64 by Neuropass/tweakscene
Benchmark Scores 4642@665/1600 220/GAT F1 4544 220/667strap 2.5/3/2/6 Bliss 650/1500 6490 Q6700 Bliss 690/1500
the Dolby or NEO6 it's not "Loud" enough not at all like 7 channel with this going it much "louder"
umm That's because {7Channel Stereo} is sending pretty much the same signal to ALL the speaker's but as a simulated stereo, where as the "Dolbys" are NOT supposed to be the same volume, that's what makes the ambiance and illusion of multi Channel sound.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
umm That's because {7Channel Stereo} is sending pretty much the same signal to ALL the speaker's but as a simulated stereo, where as the "Dolbys" are NOT supposed to be the same volume, that's what makes the ambiance and illusion of multi Channel sound.
Well one thing is for sure it sounds great Dolby or not Surround or not it still sounds great. I would think that they would offer you speaker connections to hook up speakers to NOT to leave them open. Also NOT a very good Idea to leave an Open channel on any amp. IMHO. I've watch my systems fry because of that!

System Name Firebird
Processor Intel i7 2600K @5.0'ish 24/7 stock core Voltage {5.2 w/102 bCLK}
Motherboard Intel Extreme DZ68BC SkullTrail Z68 Cougerpoint, Excellent MCH !
Cooling Scythe NINJA PLUS Rev.B[skt478] Modded to 1155 Scythe SH12 fan
Memory Samsung 32nm 16Gb 4x4 (@19xxmhz} low profile[ better than 2133 banwidth]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aurosus 1080Ti
Storage Intel 512 SSD,Samsung 9701Tb, Toshiba 3Tbx2,Hitachi 320,1TBx2,'Cuda 400 7200.10, WD1TBUSB,to SATA
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440 27" WQHD, Samsung 226W, Vizio M60C3 4K 60",Vizio XVT3D554SV
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Intel 10ch[9+1] HD Audio X540> Pioneer VSX39TX[copper chasis,Rosewood sides 5x6LCD remote
Power Supply Seasonic X750 @ 24/7
Mouse Logictech G300s
Keyboard Saitek Cyborg v7
Software Windows 7 ROG E3 X64 by Neuropass/tweakscene
Benchmark Scores 4642@665/1600 220/GAT F1 4544 220/667strap 2.5/3/2/6 Bliss 650/1500 6490 Q6700 Bliss 690/1500
Yea @trickson It seems you don't understand the How a Surround sound system works. My $2,500 Pioneer receiver{s} are "Surround" capable, but I only use Stereo 99% of the time.
If the speaker's are Not connected to the Output, they just are Not active perse

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Yea @trickson It seems you don't understand the How a Surround sound system works. My $2,500 Pioneer receiver{s} are "Surround" capable, but I only use Stereo 99% of the time.
If the speaker's are Not connected to the Output, they just are Not active perse
Okay Yeah I just learned some thing and I thank you all. SO yes NOW I have them hooked up the way they should be the thing that confused me was this label one says SURR-Back one says SURR-B I have them hooked up right now and am going to just get rid of the Sony's I was using in the back.
Okay so it's Thanks to you all hooked up the way it SHOULD BE!

For the LOVE OF GOD I was running in 7 channel mode not in Surround! I'M a huge Dipshiztz!

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
7 channel stereo is fun, and puts out good sound, but movies and tv should definitely be in Dolby or DTS. Unless you enjoy craploads of bass and minimal channel separation in everything media related.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
7 channel stereo is fun, and puts out good sound, but movies and tv should definitely be in Dolby or DTS. Unless you enjoy craploads of bass and minimal channel separation in everything media related.
Well one thing is for SURE thanks to guys here I have it hooked up correctly now. Man It sounds even better if that is possible!
Seriously THANK YOU ALL!

So I have just one more question now that "B" Channel is off what is it used for? I have 2 speakers that can be hooked to it but where should they be located if hooked up? Or is it just best to leave channel "B" off?

Well one thing is for SURE thanks to guys here I have it hooked up correctly now. Man It sounds even better if that is possible!
Seriously THANK YOU ALL!
Just to be sure...lol...

...NOW how is each speaker connected to the receiver? What sound (stereo? 5.1+?) are you expecting to get out of that physical connection?

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Just to be sure...lol...

...NOW how is each speaker connected to the receiver? What sound (stereo? 5.1+?) are you expecting to get out of that physical connection?
Hooked up just like you all said to hook it up the SUR-B is no longer going to be used. It's the channel you guys said is "B" and used for another room or multi zone. No longer the small RP5000's are hooked up on SURR - A The DBX Speakers are on SURR Back.

IMG-2179.JPG

IMG-2180.JPG

IMG-2181.JPG

....and the sound mode you are expecting out of that config is......?

So to make sure I understand you have....

6000f - Speaker A, L/R
5000f - Speaker B, L/R

What else is connected and to what on the receiver?

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
....and the sound mode you are expecting out of that config is......?

So to make sure I understand you have....

6000f - Speaker A, L/R
5000f - Speaker B, L/R

What else is connected and to what on the receiver?
NO not any more. The RF5000F are on the SURR. Back Channel.

Moving the speakers is the only thing to do now and I can if I put one on a stand on the other side of my couch. But not just yet.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
WOW Okay so lots more tuning of my Audio system and I have it perfectly setup for what I like 7.1 Channel stereo.
I moved my 12" Subwoofer to the back of my sectional couch got my front speakers separated and toed in a lot better now for all listening possessions.

I have to say that putting the sub behind the sofa is AMAZING!
If you can do it try it, You will not regret it.
More bass, More feeling it for sure.
Try it out see for yourself. I am sticking with it.

I have it perfectly setup for what I like 7.1 Channel stereo.
This again, lol...Soooooooooooo, are you running 7.1 surround or stereo? Stereo is, by definition, two distinct channels of audio (you can have more speakers, but just saying). When you say 7.1 that explicitly means 7 distinct channels plus the subwoofer. Which is it?

Every person's room is different. So just generically stating to stuff a sub behind a sofa is "amazing" just may not be an improvement for others. If I did that, I would lose bass response as currently mine sits in a corner...and the couch doesn't have a wall behind it. Each room has its own acoustic properties and each person has their own preference on how they want their equipment to sound.