• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My chromebook 11 is lagging/slow when charging.Will Throttlestop help?

chloedanser

Hi.I just downloaded Throttlestop to my chromebook 11.Im a beginner in the programs,hardware,troubleshooting,advanced computer knowledge.I was originally searching for an answer as to why my laptop suddenly began lagging and slowed down when i have it plugged in&charging.When not charging its much faster but quick to overheat and battery use seems to have increased quicker(when not charging).Eventually i ended up @Throttlestop and downloaded it.I have no clue how to use the program or if itll help troubleshoot,ie;cool down CPU,etc..I do play games for hours daily.Thank you for any info.:)

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
ThrottleStop is a program for Windows. Does it run on your Chromebook?

I work at a school and we have many Chromebooks. The go-to solution is factory resetting it for odd issues like this. Please see this support article from Google to factory reset it: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183084?hl=en

Pay close attention to the section on backing up any local data to either Google Drive or an external storage device like a flash drive. The factory reset will wipe all local data.

Hope this helps.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
When used on battery power alone, it runs in power saving mode and therefore generally cooler as it won't run at full speed.
When plugged in to mains power it attempts to run at full speed and throttles due to temperatures being too high, in my opinion.
Does your Chromebook have cooling fans built in, are the vents blocked with dust etc?
Handy hint, do not place laptops etc directly on tablecloths or allow to rest on bedding etc when used in bed, necessary vents can and will be blocked.
If you are not comfortable opening the case yourself, bring it to a reputable computer shop and ask them to clean the internals and reapply thermal paste / cooling pads if needed to the internals.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
You have a chromebook, You do not know what OS it runs, You play games for a few hours a day.....

I recommend going on a basic entry level computing course before you end up possibly breaking something. You sound like you could use some of that knowledge

I don't think our friend ever checked back in this thread. I think studying up for a basic understanding would help most people lol. Besides, the only games you can really play on a chromebook are browser games anyway. I do think a factory reset would help. That is the go to fix for odd behavior in the district I work at.

NonstickAtom

Sorry for the necro post people. I do know the general rules to necro posting. But as I do not want to start a new thread only piggy back I will post here in hopes of some ideas. I am using a CX223NA-BCLN4 (BABYMEGA) Asus Chromebook with an Intel ApolloLake I am using, is using an Intel ApolloLake. I believe the proccessor is in line with the Intel IceLake microproccesor.

So the problem is the same as the one Chloedanser has. However I did what was suggested before I even started looking up issues. After my powerwash I put my chromebook in developer mode so I could install crouton. With crouton installed I am able to stop all chrome process.

I have crouton installed on chroot. When I run the xfce I execute:

Code:
ps ax -o sess,pgrp,pid,cmd | awk '$4 ~ /\/chrome$/ { print $3 }' | xargs $nodo kill

Which kills all of the ChromeOS nonsense. I then plug in my computer. It works fine as long as I don't go back to utilizing the main OS. The power saving function seems to stop. So the Chromebook speeds up. I believe the issue not to be with the hardware but with the OS itself. This trick allows me to play smooth Minecraft as well. Max FPS set at 160, Fancy graphics, clouds, render distance 14, mip map levels on 3. This is excellent for a Chromebook of course. But when you switch back to the OS it runs fine for a minimum of 1 min. A little slow. But you can visibly see it slowing down. The animations on chrome tab previews are late. The mouse get's very laggy. And click responses freeze it. At that point it's to late to recover from it by unplugging your laptop charger because the CPU usage is so high. To specify some more this doesn't only occur with crouton open in the background. It happens even when Crouton isn't installed or even active. Just plug it in and watch the throttle happen. If I had the tools at the moment I would flash a custom UEFI bios and then install raw Linux or Windows to see what happens when I plug it in.

I'm around for whoever replies. I'm not a one time poster.