• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My cpu constantly gets edp other red

Joseph Ada

Hello! I have i5 1035g1 cpu with an MX330 graphics card. I have been using throttlestop for almost a year and I had no problem since 2 days ago. My cpu doesnt even use 15 Watts that I set for PL1. Max it goes is 13 Watts and this makes gaming unbearable. I tried fixing this 2 days ago but I couldnt do it. Than yesterday I opened my laptop and everything was fine. Today I opened my laptop and my cpu is getting throttled again for no reason. My prochot is set to 99 degrees and my cpu doesnt even see 70 degrees so I assume that it is not thermal throttling. I looked at the log files and it just says edp. I deleted throttlestop and installed again, deleted ThrottleStop.ini and started again. And I cant find a solution. I have no idea why it gets throttled, why it was fine yesterday, why it is broken know. Can somebody please help?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Post screenshots of all relevant Throttlestop tabs.

Joseph Ada

Here you go

Attachments

• 2022-01-15.txt
    994.9 KB · Views: 70
  • ana ekran.PNG
    ana ekran.PNG
    30.8 KB · Views: 81
  • TPL.PNG
    TPL.PNG
    18.4 KB · Views: 79
  • FIVR.PNG
    FIVR.PNG
    52.2 KB · Views: 78
  • options.PNG
    options.PNG
    38.5 KB · Views: 82
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Your FIVR window shows as locked, if it was unlocked previously it's possible an update has removed the ability to undervolt.
Rolling back to an earlier Bios for the Motherboard might regain functionality.
@unclewebb

Joseph Ada

That can work but the part that I dont understand is that it was broken 2 days ago, it worked yesterday and now it doesnt work again. And I have no idea why.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@Joseph Ada - Some EDP throttling problems can start to happen randomly. Multiple things can trigger this type of throttling. Here are a couple of things to try.

Open the TPL window, check the Short Power PL2 box and set the Turbo Time Limit to the default value which is usually 28 seconds. Clear both Clamp boxes. Check the Speed Shift box.

Setting "Power Limit 4" to 0 is one way to tell the CPU to ignore this limit. You can also try setting "Power Limit 4" to the maximum value which is usually 1023. This limit is one of the things that can cause EDP throttling.

After you make the above changes, hold the Shift key down on the keyboard. While the Shift key is held down, select the Restart option in the Windows start menu. This will fully reboot your computer.

After your computer starts up, run ThrottleStop, open Limit Reasons and check to see if you still have constant EDP throttling. If you do, try doing a Sleep - Resume cycle. Some computers have bugs where the BIOS will set the CPU up slightly differently after a full restart compared to how the CPU is setup after a Sleep - Resume cycle. If you get lucky, maybe one or the other can be used to solve this problem.

Do you know if there were any recent BIOS or Windows updates? The ThrottleStop FIVR window reports the Microcode version that the CPU is using. Your screenshot shows version 0xA6.

If you have any screenshots from a month ago, you could try comparing the microcode version that the CPU was using then to the microcode version that the CPU is using now. I try to keep an eye on this number because it lets me know if there were any Windows Updates or a BIOS update that might have changed how the CPU works. Not all updates are for the better. I use Sledgehammer to try to prevent unnecessary Windows updates from being installed.

Another thing that controls EDP throttling is IccMax. Your FIVR screenshot shows that IccMax is set to 54.00. This should not be causing constant EDP throttling. I usually recommend changing IccMax to the maximum, 255.75. Unfortunately your computer has locked CPU voltage control so IccMax adjustment is also locked.

There are other hidden settings like a maximum CPU voltage setting that ThrottleStop does not have access to. Some manufacturers set overly restrictive current limits so the CPU throttles and is prevented from reaching its full 15W TDP power rating. Some EDP throttling problems cannot be solved.

Joseph Ada

@unclewebb Yesterday the problem got solved again and I was able to play but today I opened my computer and it was getting throttled again. I would understand if it was getting throttled always but it happens so randomly. I tried everything you said and it is still getting throttled.

Last edited:

unclewebb

getting throttled again
Have you tried switching back and forth between plugged in and battery power when EDP throttling is in progress? There could be a sensor somewhere that is failing. This sensor could be in the battery pack or in the power adapter or somewhere on the motherboard. There might be some dust build up on the motherboard that is causing a sensor to short out.

How is your battery? Can you run on battery power for an hour without any problems? Try using BatteryBar or a similar program to see what your battery wear level is. The free Basic version works well.

Other users with similar random EDP throttling problems have not had much luck coming up with a solution.

Joseph Ada

-----
Have you tried switching back and forth between plugged in and battery power when EDP throttling is in progress?
Well, when the computer is plugged in it shows AC in throttlestop and gets throttled. Then I turn to battery power and throttling stops instantly and shows DC in throttlestop. I plugged it back in and turned back to throttling.

unclewebb

Are you using the original power adapter? Try using a different OEM power adapter. It is likely that a hidden power limit is being changed when running on AC power. This does not happen all of the time so it is either a bug or a defective sensor. Is the battery fully charged? Some power limits change based on that.

I do not have any documentation from Intel that shows all of the various things that can trigger EDP throttling. Without that info, there is no way I can solve this problem.

Last edited:

Joseph Ada

@unclewebb I guess I solved it. I opened ts bench when it was not plugged in and it was using 15 Watts then I plugged in and it stood 15 Watts. Closed ts bench and everything was fine.