• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My experience with Mayhems and their support.

JHK2018

Hello All

I’m not one for posting however after dealing with Mayhems I thought I would post about my experience with them. I’m a long-time reader of this forum but normally I’m the type who just sits and reads and nothing more. I own several liquid cooled custom systems that I’ve built from the ground up and have been using Mayhems products for a while.

Any way to get to the nuts and bolts of everything I had an issue with colour changing coolant from Mayhems (Pastel Yellow) on one of my systems, were as the other two systems I run using the same coolant never changed colour! how ever all 3 used different parts. I approached Mayhems support and was greeted with the usual tech support how ever they quickly jumped in asking various questions reference what hardware I was using how I cleaned the system etc. I promptly responded and about a day later I got a response back from Mick at Mayhems relating to the rad I was using and how I had cleaned it. I told him I was using hardware labs and that id just cleaned it with water and nothing more. Mick came back with the usual “clean with a blitz kit and it should be oky however hardware labs radiator have been quite dirty in the past” and that the blitz kit would or should solve the issue. He then offered to replace all my fluids and they would give me a full blitz kit free of change and at no extra cost, they would cover everything. I was quite sceptical about this and gave over my address and shipping details but also pointed out that I’d seen posts about these issues in the past and herd his support wasn’t that good. This is where things changed!!!! Mick then turned around and invited me down to Mayhems in Darlington and to bring my PC down, he said he would show me why and how the issues are happening and why the blitz kit would fix it. He explained it would take a good few hours to solve the issue, but he had all of Saturday and if I came down he would work with me and teach me about it all. Now I must admit I have been doing water cooling for a long time and did the usual thinking to my self he’s not going to teach me anything I do not know already; however, I accepted his offer and we arranged to meet the next Saturday at 09:00 Hrs in the morning.

I arrived at 09:30 and was greeted by Mick and smile, he lifted my PC out the car and took it into Mayhems. Mick then took the time to show me around Mayhems and offered me a coffee. Then explained to me about the issues of not cleaning a system properly (it did feel at one point as though I was being taught to suck eggs ,but in a very pleasant nice way) however I stuck with it. Mick then proceeded to strip down my system (it was hard tubing with PETG) and pulled out the radiator, then he quickly flushed the rad out with water and then took me over to a microscope. He showed me inside the rad and how dirty it was (you could see flux residue inside). He then took a scraping out of the rad and put it though some kind of very expensive looking analyser which produced results showing the amount of flux that was left and some other contaminates in the radiator (I am going to admit some of this was above my head but Mick tried to explain the best he could what it all meant). He then took some of my used fluid and tested it in another analyser and showed me a comparison of new fluid to mine and you could see that the fluids were doing its job, lifting all the contaminates up out of the system and suspending it, this is what was causing the colour change. This all took about 45 minutes of my time how ever it was very interesting to see the depths and equipment Mick has at Mayhems.

Mick then pulled out a much stronger version of the blitz kit and acid cleaned the radiator and then PH neutralised it. He noticed that all my tubing had streaks in it from the residue. Mick then nipped off into his back room and came out with brand new PETG tubing and started to replace it all in the system saying, “don’t worry this wont cost you a penny”. After about 2 hours of cleaning and tidying and lots of coffee and chatting (have to say Mick is passionate about water cooling, the hobby and the people) he had completely rebuilt my system and even improved it’s layout and tidied all my cables up for me. Then Mick refilled with new coolant and gave me a couple of extra gifts which was a surprise. He then test ran the system and made sure everything was perfect then asking if I was happy. Not only was I happy I was astounded the lengths Mick had gone to fix my issues.

Now this is two months on down the line and my system has been mining some coins and not once has it colour changed or gone funny. I even had a couple emails from Mick asking if everything was running fine. Now I’m posting this because I seen in the past Mick of Mayhems has had some bad press and upset some forum users but after speaking with him, he admitted he is terrible at online support but does mean well and is trying to improve but his words are “he’s so passionate he gets caught up in it sometimes and needs to learn to back down”. I have seen a totally different side to Mayhems and I must admit they have now got a customer for life. Mick’s dedication to what he does is beyond what I’ve seen in the past from some companies. At no point has Mick asked me to post about my experience and when I asked if I could post his response was “It’s up to you, don’t let me influence you in any way!”.

If any of you ever get the chance to meet Mick or Mayhems I would advise you to take up the offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Thanks for posting your experience, sounds like Mick really went above and beyond to help you out :)

I also had problems with red pastel mayhems fluid going grotty, I used boiling water and shook the living $hi7 out of the XSPC radiator, I got a lot of crap out and repeated that until it was only clean water. I figured that would have been enough, but perhaps not. If I remember right that coolant lasted about a week before it started turning brown. I just finished a new build and had 2x brand new ekwb 240mm radiators, it specifically said on the box that no cleaning was required, so I thought 'cool!' and just put it together. I had a nice vivid green coolant which only lasted a couple of days. :( I was going to just avoid colored coolants, but perhaps I'll give a blitz kit a try.

You say youve had the new coolant (still pastel?) in the system for 2 months, was the system doing any mining or distributed comping stuff during that time? Just wondering how well pastel or colored coolant would last in a a properly prepped system at full load temps.

JHK2018

Hello Infrared the system has been mining 24/7 since i brought it back (running Mayhems Pastel Yellow). Mick did say under heavy load it may tinge again and should be swapped out regular. He also said if using a heavy load system it is best to stick to Blue, White or Clear coolants. He actually advised me to run XT1 Nuke as it was a better performer but i liked the Yellow Pastel colour.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Pics please

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
GO TEAM! WOO HOO! No lip stick? No offense but it might help if you did ever visit the forum and post.