• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My first attempt to overclock a cpu

lamerikx

Hello everybody,

i am new @ the overclock scene, never had the possibility to let mijn cpu run harder then stock settings.
currently i have my first pc that has the possibility to overclock the cpu. ( ryzen 3600 )
My previous pc's had a non k intel i5 wich was not possible to overclock.
And my last amd pc was a athlon 2200+ about 15 years ago so im realy a complete newb at this.

My question is can i run my pc with this overclock for a longer period with no damage to the cpu or mobo?
i'd like to get your input/knowledge about my first try to overclock a cpu if its good yes or no.

My system specs are:
Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4441Mhz @ 1.30V Max
Asus TUF B450-Plus motherboard
Corsair 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
Scyte Mugen 5 PCGH with custom fans ( 1500 Rpm max instead 800 Rpm max original )

Cine bench 20 run stable with 3993 points and single core 515 points (cinebench does not show the correct current cpu speed at the picture)
Prime95 torture test for 30 minutes stable and does not exceed 76 celsius
test2-1.pngtest2-2.png

makeiteasy

If I were you I would check these system data with HwInfo, it reads Ryzen data better. But it seems that your CPU does not stay in 4.4GHz/1.3v all the time, it idles normally and 1.3v isn't above the safe voltage to Zen2 afaik, so I would say yeah, I dont think that will be any damage to your CPU. But I might be wrong though, need other people to confirm.

How did you do the OC?

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
4.4Ghz at 1.3volts for a 3600 is very good result to me. Pushing beyond 4GHz is a already a bonus for Ryzen cpus. Their are pretty much max out of the gate and highly binned.

It would not damage your mobo but the cpu it would wear down. My Ryzen 1700 wear down after a year overclock to 3.8Ghz at 1.3V fixed voltage, if it is based on that yes your cpu would certainly wear down with time especially for a 7nm process. By then I think it already might be a good time to upgrade by then. My 1700 requires is no longer stable at 1.3V by then forcing me to lower to 3.7Ghz. AMD cpu have already build "automatic" cpu clock mechanism so the wear would not be fast, manual overclock bypasses that.