• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My First Build

Strangerz

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and my first PC build. I have been doing a lot of reading over the past month and (surprisingly) just found TechPowerUp.com which, IMO, trumps every other review site i have visited. The in-depth reviews and community on these forums is outstanding.

Some History: Even tho this is my first build I do know a fair amount about computers but that knowledge would be more based on OS/Software troubleshooting, identifying faulty hardware, and networking. I know that there is a ton to learn about hardware and I have probably only scratched the surface in this past month.

On with the build!

So I want to build a powerful computer that will also have potential for upgrade a few years down the road. With this rig I plan to run virtual machines with VMware and also virtual networks with GNS3 as I am a network engineer. GNS3 is a software that allows you to run the actual switch/router IOS which can tend to be taxing on the system depending on the size of the network.

I would also be using this rig to game and get my hands into Maya, 3Ds Max, and Zbrush which are animation/graphic design programs. Currently my TV entertainment center sucks but when i do start upgrading those devices i would like to be able to incorporate my computer into the entertainment center environment (which can just be done through the home network but i thought i should mention it in case someone had something to add). Speaking of the entertainment center; I would most likely be playing with video and audio files... we could just say i try to get my hands into everything. :D

Equipment I am looking at:
(All comments and recommendations welcome, good or bad)
Also another reason i have picked some of these parts is because they have overclocking potential which i would like to play with down the road.

Processor: Since I want a high end rig with potential for upgrade later I chose the new 2011 socket and the 3930k processor.

Video Card: EVGA GTX 580 Classified video card. I chose this because it is a gaming card that (as the reviews & autodesk say) also works well with maya and 3Ds Max. There was an issue running in maya but a driver update fixed that so from my understanding everything runs fine on 580. The reason i chose the Classified is due to the 3Gb GDDR5 memory; from my research it seemed that maya and 3Ds Max function better with the extra GDDR5 but this is something I am still wondering about.

Motherboard: Currently looking at the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe and the Gigabyte GB-X79-UD5 for features and because of reviews. I am leaning toward the Gigabyte mobo but the recent issues scare me. Also, I am wondering if some may say this board is unstable due to the fact that when it is not overclocked it draws more power that when it is overclocked. Something just seems odd but again i am learning. Also, does anyone have information on the bluetooth/wireless module on the P9X79 deluxe, I cant find this information and i wanted to know what type of antenna plug it had and whether i would be able to swap with a different antenna.

Memory & PSU - waiting to pick other components first.

So i am looking for any comments and recommendations. Also if anyone knows about Maya/3Ds Max; should i be matching up other components (motherboard, memory) for compatibility with these programs? I couldnt find anything on this so i am just wondering.

Thank you for taking a look!

Last edited:
System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
I'll not recommend you any parts because i'm not from US, others users will help you with that. What i can say you is that with Intel habit of changing sockets every 5 minutes, the potential for upgrade is something you shouldn't count on. My 775 board went from a Pentium D 920 to a C2D8400 and a C2Q9550, i don't think my current motherboard will have that flexibility.

Strangerz

Hmmmm kind of feel like everyone is silently telling me not to pursue this build...

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Sometimes it takes a little time to get some responses.... a little more active thread title often helps:

My First Build (Advice/Opinions)

My First 3930K Build

Etc.....

If your thread doesn't start moving along, put a little more info in the title and ask a moderator to change it for you.

The more you put in the more you get out of a post so look over what you've provided for info and see if you can change anything to provide something more.

There's a lot of people willing to help. I build AMD stuff currently and it looks like you are going Intel so I will defer to those who know way more than I do.

Oh, and welcome to TPU :toast:

System Name Mud and Stick
Processor My old squishy brain
Motherboard Arms and fingers
Cooling H20
Memory Not much even if its working
Video Card(s) Imagination
Case Lumpy excuse for a body
Power Supply Red Bull and Hate
Lets see some pics

Strangerz

I will definitely be posting pics once i finish planning it and start getting parts.

Does anyone know of any issues that the 3930k is experiencing? I just read an article about the 3930k chips "now come with working VT-d functionality." Apparently there was an issue with the virtualization capabilities of the original chips.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
The first batch had a bug. I think the C2s are the bug-free ones.

Play3r

System Name SexMachine
Processor Intel i5 750 @ 4Ghz 1.29v
Motherboard Asus P7P55D Deluxe
Cooling Prolimatech Mega Shadow
Memory Corsair CM3X2G1600C9DHX 4GBs @ 800Mhz @ 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) VTx3d 6950 Modded +200 900mhz/1375mhz
Storage 120GB Corsiar Force 3, 2 1TBs, 6 1.5TBs, 3 2TBs
Display(s) BenQ XL2410T & Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM + Dell U2410
Case Lian Li PC-A70FB Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence ST
Power Supply CORSAIR 750W TX-750W POWER SUPPLY
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores Benchmark ALL THE THINGS
do you need this pc now or can you wait a while? I would suggest possibly waiting for Ivy Bridge. Or if you need it now just got for Sandy Bridge either a 2500k or higher if you want HT.

Aswell if you are keen for nVidia. there new gpus are rumoured to be coming out within 2 months. possibly worth the wait for that too.

As for Motherboard. If the 'features' on one are what you are looknig for then buy that. if you are going to be overclocking then buy a mid to high end. but if your not going to be then a mid-range will do you fine.

Strangerz

The first batch had a bug. I think the C2s are the bug-free ones.

Ya, thats what i read. Wonder if there are any similar issues that havent been fixed yet.

do you need this pc now or can you wait a while? I would suggest possibly waiting for Ivy Bridge. Or if you need it now just got for Sandy Bridge either a 2500k or higher if you want HT.

Aswell if you are keen for nVidia. there new gpus are rumoured to be coming out within 2 months. possibly worth the wait for that too.

Ya, ive been contemplating waiting but im leaning more towards the 'E' series due to the increased number of cores and the quad channel memory but Ivy Bridge E doesn't look like it will be released until Q4. The 3D programs i plan to run benefit from these two factors. I dont believe gaming PCs would benefit nearly as much from the increased cores/threads but Maya thrives on addition cores as well as other development programs.

As for the graphics card.... ya its killing me that the new ones come out soon but my concern again is with the development programs and whether the new GTX 680 will be supported.... this is something im currently researching.

Strangerz

What should i be looking for in memory? Just speed?

I want to get 32Gb in 8Gb sticks.

Also, i would like to play with overclocking in the future so i would like memory that has good overclocking capabilities but i really dont know what else im supposed to be looking for.