1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My first CableCARD card; buying with credit card; maybe gift card. Card.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by streetfighter 2, May 5, 2011.

1. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I've got a few extra nickels in my pocket and I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying one of these (rather nasty) CableCARDs so I can finally complete my HTPC:
    Ceton Infinitv4 Digital Cable Quad-tuner Card
    Pc Tv Wonder Digital Cable Tuner Ntsc

I'm still quite hesitant about the impending arse pain, which is sure to split my loins in twain :roll:. I have Verizon FIOS and I've done my compatibility research.

My questions are:
    Are there any choices other than the aforementioned two?
    Is anyone else running a similarly equipped HTPC? Do you use WMC or something else? Are you happy with it?
    Any idea on how to get it cheaper?
    Does god have feet? :D

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I used a Pinnacle (I'm pretty sure that was the brand) USB TV tuner. It cost about $40 bucks and was basically a USB stick with a coaxial input. Worked very well actually and when Win 7 came out it worked seamlessly with WMP. The bundled software that came with it was junk however.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. streetfighter 2

Thanks Received:
    I need a tuner with a CableCARD because Verizon FIOS offers like 15 unencrypted QAM channels. For the price you stated I sincerely doubt the Pinnacle card has a CableCARD slot.

I have easily 400 channels (probably 100 HD) with a CableCARD + Motorola box. I'm looking to get rid of the Motorola box and use my HTPC for everything. As such I need a CableCard compatible tuner for that.

Also, I have a couple tuners but none of them have CableCARD slots:
    1) Hauppauge HVR-950Q QAM/ATSC USB
    2) Pinnacle QAM/ATSC PCI Slot card [crashes a lot so I don't use it anymore]
    Those are fine and well when all I want are the 20 some channels I can get with rabbit ears (UHF); Sucks when I want to record the hockey game on versus :cry:.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  4. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Id go with the ceton one. Internal > external. I plan on getting one of those if I ever have the cash ha.

5. streetfighter 2

Thanks Received:
    I agree that internal is better than external, but I may upgrade my HTPC to a half-height case and then the $400 internal Ceton card won't fit :cry: :mad:

EDIT: It might fit, but I'd have to cut the bracket and do some squeezing (which is actually fine with me if it works :))