1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My New Phenom x3

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by devguy, Aug 2, 2008.

1. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    I had an Athlon X2 4000+ clocked at 3.0Ghz in my machine. I did some benchmarks with it before I pulled it out. It used about 1.45 Vcore at 3.0Ghz and would get to ~50C under load under my Rosewill heatsink. However, when I tried to crossfire my 3850 with my new 3870, I got a minuscule 1000 point increase in 3dMark06 (not to mention a lot more heat in my case). After trying everything I could, I realized I must be CPU bound. Then, I just kept in my new 3870 (the 3850 is on Ebay) and ran these benchmarks.

[​IMG]

Originally, I was going to wait for the 45nm Phenoms before I upgraded, but I bought from this seller here on Ebay who has a ton of Phenom X3 8650 at $109 Buy It Now (I used live 25% cashback too). Unbeatable deal for anyone looking for a Phenom with an 11.5x multiplier!

I got it in the day before yesterday and did some testing. It was just slightly less powerful than the X2 at stock 2.3Ghz, which is what I expected (however, 3dMark06 shot up to ~10000 points thanks to the extra core being present). After fiddling with it for a while I brought it to ~2.97Ghz benchmark stable on STOCK VOLTAGE! Now, I have it running at 3.1Ghz with a 270mhz reference clock and the 11.5x multiplier at 1.39 Vcore prime stable and it never gets over 45C under my new Zalman 9700LED (jeez that thing was a pain to install). The processor definitely looks like it can handle more, but I'm limited to 270mhz reference clock. I tried adding .1V to the chipset and I got it benchmark stable at 275mhz, but I'm afraid about dumping too much voltage onto this chipset. Also, I can't seem to knock the northbridge multiplier any higher stably so I'm stuck with what is in the picture. That also means that I can't push the HTT any higher because one can't have the northbridge slower than the HTT (even though I know my HTT is capable of more).

I have some questions for Phenom overclocking pros. In AMD Overdrive, what is the difference between NB core and NB VID? Also, for stabilizing the reference clock higher, should I only add voltage to the chipset, or should I add some to the HTT (transmit) and HTR (receive)? Also, in my BIOS, when I look to change the voltage of the Memory controller, it has a '-' sign in front of the other voltages that doesn't appear on any other voltage menu. Perhaps it is a just a BIOS bug, but if it isn't, I don't want to be adding negative voltage (or more simply undervolting the memory controller).

I can say though that I'm very impressed with this processor. Yes, if I didn't already have a kickass AM2+ motherboard, I'd get a P45 + e7200. But for people with 790FX motherboards this processor I believe is the best bang for the buck. IMHO, the Phenom x4 is overpriced compared to the Q6600 and Q9300, but the Phenom X3 at this guys pricing (he also has the Phenom X3 8450 for $99, but only a 10.5x multiplier) is fantastic. Also, bear in mind that this is using a 64bit OS (a place where Phenom usually fails to overclock well in online reviews).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very nice :toast: looks like it clocks pretty good. And nice deal.. I wish I saw that when I got a 9500 for my HTPC!

3. Threeflow New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just a tip, download Prime95 version 25.6, as it is multi-core compatible meaning you don't need to run more than one instance of the program :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Kudos on the X3. I also own an 8650, but i bought mine in May for $169.00:shadedshu. My MoBo had a 95w limitation and this fit the bill. I have had it up to 3.01ghz, but instability forced me to lower to a rock solid 2.75ghz. I am running a 780G board with Vista64 and I believe that is what's limiting me. It was good enough for 12k in 3d06. Oh well, it's only being used in my HTPC for HD content and f@h. Once again, congrats and have fun with it!

5. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the comments ya'll. Buck, I assume that the 12K in 3d06 is with the 8800gts in your specs? If it was with the HD 3200 on your 780g and I got less than you with the 3870, something is wrong with my pc, lol. :ohwell: