• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My pc freezes when watching Netflix

Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus b450F ROG Strix
Cooling 3 case fans plus deepcool maxx V2 cpu heatsink
Memory 16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3060 TI
Storage 3 SSD's, 1 Samsung 970 Evo NVME and 2 sata (Crucial 1 TB and ADATA 480 GB) and 2 sata hardrives
Display(s) 27 inch Asus 75hz gaming monitor
Case NZXT h500i black
Power Supply Corsair cx650m 650 watt psu
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Keyboard Inland RGB mechanical keyboard with blue optical switches.
Software windows 10 64 bit
Hey guys, so I have been having a strange issue with my PC. Whenever I watch Netflix for an extended period of time my whole system will freeze up and I will have to unplug it. This issue was also occurring when watching YouTube in full screen, but that hasn't happened to me since I installed the latest drivers for my graphics card and turned off my overclock on my CPU.

I also have cleaned out all my system files, cookies and web history since I read online that is recommended if Netflix is having issues, the issue did go away for a while after I did all of this but it came back a couple of days ago and now I am banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out.

If anyone might have any suggestions I should try please let me know.

Thank you.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Get a Temperature monitoring tool.

What browser are you running netflix through?

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG X670E GENE MATX
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 280MPH AIO
Memory G.Skill 48GB (2x24GB) F5-8000J4048F24GX2-TZ5RK Trident Z5 RGB 8000MHz DDR5
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition 24GB GDDR6
Storage Crucial T700 Gen5 2TB NVMe | Crucial P5 Plus Gen4 2TB NVMe | Crucial P5 Plus Gen4 1TB NVMe
Display(s) AOC U3277PWQU 32in 4K
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX TG
Audio Device(s) Onboard SPDIF --> Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic ATX 3.0 VERTEX-GX-1000
Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
Keyboard Razer Cynosa V2 Chroma
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
Might not be the issue but my HTPC doesn't play nice with Netflix when watching through Microsoft Edge as the video blanks in and out. Try Chrome if that's the case.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage 3 SSD's, 1 Samsung 970 Evo NVME and 2 sata (Crucial 1 TB and ADATA 480 GB) and 2 sata hardrives
Case NZXT h500i black
I should have added I use chrome exclusively when browsing the web. This issue is really bugging me. I mean I can game for hours on end and my system runs like a champ, for example I played Dark Souls 3 on and off all day Saturday with no issue run Netflix for an hour or so and bam, my system crashes.

Maybe I will try Edge when watching Netflix but I still would like to figure this out, do you think running my gpu overclocked will cause this issue?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
it doesn't hurt to do a clean install of the OS every once a year or two, with clean fresh all updated drivers. and yeah try multiple browsers like other have said.

Edge looks weird on netflix to me, its like it has no no motion smoothing or something, I always go back to Chrome even though Chrome is 720p instead of 1080p like Edge, for some reason it just looks better on Chrome. M$ lul

Just try multiple browsers first, Edge and Firefox.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Turn off hardware acceleration in thr browser and then try it.

The onlytime netflix was crashing was being ran in IE or unstable OC...

Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Case NZXT h500i black
Turn off hardware acceleration in thr browser and then try it.

The onlytime netflix was crashing was being ran in IE or unstable OC...

I am confused by your comment if you are referring to my issue. I have never used Edge to watch Netflix or any streaming content on this pc yet. And I turned off my overclock on my CPU but my system still randomly crashes when watching Netflix. If your not referring to me I apologize.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I am confused by your comment if you are referring to my issue. I have never used Edge to watch Netflix or any streaming content on this pc yet. And I turned off my overclock on my CPU but my system still randomly crashes when watching Netflix. If your not referring to me I apologize.

Under advanced settings in just about every web browser I've ever used ,there's an option for hardware acceleration ,which utilizes the power of your video card when rendering certain types of video players content, turn that either on or off whatever it isn't now ,put it to that, simply as a process of troubleshooting and illuminating simple possibilities that could be fixed quickly.

Another thing that helps when facing issues like this is try running Firefox and see if the issue persists because you never know it could be an extension you have installed an ad blocker etc.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
but that hasn't happened to me since I installed the latest drivers for my graphics card and turned off my overclock on my CPU.

That was likely it. When I was trying to get a stable overclock YouTube video playback would be one of the first things that would trigger a crash for some reason.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Under advanced settings in just about every web browser I've ever used ,there's an option for hardware acceleration ,which utilizes the power of your video card when rendering certain types of video players content, turn that either on or off whatever it isn't now ,put it to that, simply as a process of troubleshooting and illuminating simple possibilities that could be fixed quickly.

Another thing that helps when facing issues like this is try running Firefox and see if the issue persists because you never know it could be an extension you have installed an ad blocker etc.
That was likely it. When I was trying to get a stable overclock YouTube video playback would be one of the first things that would trigger a crash for some reason.

Hardware acceleration in web browsers is a relic from the days of Windows 98 and I believe even the days of Windows 95 C. Video playback would be very choppy with just a processor alone, so they thought tapping a GPUs advanced functions would make playback smooth. Today's processors are powerful enough to run video by itself and the fact is that hardware acceleration switch is generic and is never patched in the web browsers, it's a function that is overlooked. I guess things like security stability take precedence.

Turn it off as a toubleshooting function, other option is to go back to a driver you know was working.

Have Temperature monitoring software running too.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Case NZXT h500i black
Hardware acceleration in web browsers is a relic from the days of Windows 98 and I believe even the days of Windows 95 C. Video playback would be very choppy with just a processor alone, so they thought tapping a GPUs advanced functions would make playback smooth. Today's processors are powerful enough to run video by itself and the fact is that hardware acceleration switch is generic and is never patched in the web browsers, it's a function that is overlooked. I guess things like security stability take precedence.

Turn it off as a toubleshooting function, other option is to go back to a driver you know was working.

Have Temperature monitoring software running too.

I have disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome a couple of days ago and so far no crashing but we will see if it's fixed and my temps are fine while gaming or running Prime95. I have not had my pc crash once while playing games or running Prime95 or Aida64 although I typically only run stress test apps for an hour or so.

The issue is only now occurring with Netflix and it is very random, but it was happening with Youtube as well, but Youtube has not crashed my pc once since I updated my GPU drivers a few weeks back. I personally do not watch Netflix that much, it's mostly my girlfriend and she says sometimes it happens as soon as she starts one of her show's but she also told me sometimes she can watch it for hours on end before it crashes.

And one last thing I wanted to add. I did have a GTX 960 before I got my 970 and the problem was not occuring back then. This is the only change I have made to my PC since I built it about a year ago. I got the 970 last October. My girlfriend started complaining about the crashing about two months ago.

I will update if the issue persist and I appreciate the help so far guys. Thank you.

System Name KILLER
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x8GB Gskill 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980
Storage SSD Samsung 500GB
Display(s) 24" Asus 144hz
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Antec 1200 Watt Modular
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage 51342
What do you have for a power supply and what cables are you using for the video card.
Make sure your pushing enough voltage for the new card.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I have disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome a couple of days ago and so far no crashing but we will see if it's fixed and my temps are fine while gaming or running Prime95. I have not had my pc crash once while playing games or running Prime95 or Aida64 although I typically only run stress test apps for an hour or so.

The issue is only now occurring with Netflix and it is very random, but it was happening with Youtube as well, but Youtube has not crashed my pc once since I updated my GPU drivers a few weeks back. I personally do not watch Netflix that much, it's mostly my girlfriend and she says sometimes it happens as soon as she starts one of her show's but she also told me sometimes she can watch it for hours on end before it crashes.

And one last thing I wanted to add. I did have a GTX 960 before I got my 970 and the problem was not occuring back then. This is the only change I have made to my PC since I built it about a year ago. I got the 970 last October. My girlfriend started complaining about the crashing about two months ago.

I will update if the issue persist and I appreciate the help so far guys. Thank you.

How old is your psu?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I’ve had issues with Netflix and YouTube with a couple bad drivers. Sounds like that was your issue.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
In Nvidia control panel, set power management to "Prefer Maximum Performance". And if your CPU is overclocked, make sure to adjust LLC level so the CPU voltage is same in both idle and load.

System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
A reinstall of the OS or a driver issue. Try the program Driver Booster. Never has failed me after I tried with many pc's

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Hardware acceleration in web browsers is a relic from the days of Windows 98 and I believe even the days of Windows 95 C. Video playback would be very choppy with just a processor alone, so they thought tapping a GPUs advanced functions would make playback smooth. Today's processors are powerful enough to run video by itself and the fact is that hardware acceleration switch is generic and is never patched in the web browsers, it's a function that is overlooked.

I'm aware it's functionality is questionable at best. Regardless of that fact ,it can often be the source of playback issues just the same. One of things in life that perform no noticeable useful purpose, and would go unnoticed, if not for the problems caused by them.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Case NZXT h500i black
Hey guys, quick update Netflix hasn't froze up my system for almost a week now.

I will update if the issue comes back.

Thank you.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Case NZXT h500i black
Ok an update, Netflix froze my pc again. Man this is irritating. I really don't understand why Netflix is the only thing that messes up my pc.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Ok an update, Netflix froze my pc again. Man this is irritating. I really don't understand why Netflix is the only thing that messes up my pc.

How old is your power supply?

Are you trying to run Netflix in 4k?

Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Case NZXT h500i black
My power supply is a few years old and I'm not sure about what resolution, what ever it defaults to I don't change the settings since I rarely watch it, my girlfriend mainly watches it.

I can watch youtube in 4k without issue if that's helpful.

What I don't get is that I can run games all day long no issue but Netflix crashes my pc.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
My power supply is a few years old and I'm not sure about what resolution, what ever it defaults to I don't change the settings since I rarely watch it, my girlfriend mainly watches it.

I can watch youtube in 4k without issue if that's helpful.

What I don't get is that I can run games all day long no issue but Netflix crashes my pc.

If you have a shop or spare machine, try gpu in another system or try another psu.

Use openhardware monitor to check temps. Also another point being, you may need to add cooling to the VRMs of your mobo, check your cpu voltage too, enable load line calibration too. Blow out all dust inside.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Case NZXT h500i black
I have heatsinks on my vrm's added them when I built my pc there attached via thermal adhesive which I'm not sure how long they last.

I will get some compressed air and blow it out over the next couple of days.

Temps are fine when gaming and watching YouTube but I will check them when watching Netflix when I get a chance. I also lowered the resolution in Netflix to see if that will make a difference.

I wanted to ask why would my pc run perfectly fine with no crashing running any other task such as gaming, streaming other content other than Netflix and stress testing, but crashes when Netflix is ran? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Now years ago I had a pc with a dual boot of windows xp and seven that would crash when streaming any video content other than youtube in windows seven but I could watch any streaming video in xp.

I had this issue the whole time I had the pc and never figured it out.

This issue reminds me of that one.

System Name Coffee | Maximus
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K @ 5.2 GHz with AVX, 4.8 GHz cache clock | i7 9700KF @ 5.0 GHz/4.7 GHz cache
Motherboard ASUS Maximus X Formula | ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger (modded BIOS for Coffee Lake)+TPM2.0 module
Cooling Cooler Master ML240 Illusion | Cooler Master ML120L RGB
Memory 2*16 GB (32 GB) Kingston Fury Beast @3600 MHz CL17 | 4*8 GB (32 GB) HyperX Fury @3200 MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB Twin Edge | Galax RTX 2060 Super 8 GB
Storage Samsung PM981a 1TB NVMe+480GB SATA SSD+2 TB HDD | Crucial P5 1TB, Crucial P1 500GB+2.5TB HDDs
Display(s) LG OLED 55 G3, 4K 120 Hz, VRR, ALLM, GSync, FreeSync | Samsung 43AU9070 4K TV, VRR, ALLM
Case Corsair Crystal 460X RGB | Lianli Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE | Realtek ALC1150 (Supreme FX)
Power Supply ASUS ROG Strix 750G (80+ Gold) | Cooler Master MWE 650 V2 (80+ Bronze)
Mouse Cooler Master MM731 19000 DPI gaming mouse
Keyboard Cooler Master CK721 65% mechanical gaming keyboard (tactile)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 |Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 MT 4200,ST 547 CPU-Z MT 4871, ST 620 | R20 MT - 4158, ST - 534, CPU-Z MT 4798, ST 603
Since you are on Windows 10 (from your system specs), use the Netflix app from Windows store. I use it with the system as listed on my specs and it is good.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I have heatsinks on my vrm's added them when I built my pc there attached via thermal adhesive which I'm not sure how long they last.

I will get some compressed air and blow it out over the next couple of days.

Temps are fine when gaming and watching YouTube but I will check them when watching Netflix when I get a chance. I also lowered the resolution in Netflix to see if that will make a difference.

I wanted to ask why would my pc run perfectly fine with no crashing running any other task such as gaming, streaming other content other than Netflix and stress testing, but crashes when Netflix is ran? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Now years ago I had a pc with a dual boot of windows xp and seven that would crash when streaming any video content other than youtube in windows seven but I could watch any streaming video in xp.

I had this issue the whole time I had the pc and never figured it out.

This issue reminds me of that one.

Not sure, I had issue with netflix in internet explorer, discontinued using internet explorer, been fine since...

Could be using html5 or flash, or java, just goota verify it