• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My pc restarts while playing games

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Sorry, but I am not wrong. You can see by the link if my sig if I know a little about electronics, hardware, and how system cooling should work.

It is, and always has been the case's responsibility to provide adequate cooling for the components inside. And it the designer's or builder's (or user's) responsibility to design, select and/or configure said case properly.

If you have to run with the side panel open to achieve proper cooling, that's the wrong case, or it is configured wrong! If you believe otherwise, then sorry, but that is simply wrong too.

I don't doubt you have configured your case for the best cooling. But I am saying if you have done that, and it still does not properly cool the components you put in there, then that is simply the wrong case for the job! So then the question becomes, who picked that case?

Last edited:
System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Take the side panel off and point a desk fan into your case. See if the resulting drop in cpu temps helps with the crashes. If not, you know that heat isnt the issue. Rather the psu is the most likely culprit. Try to borrow your brothers psu to test in your rig. If your able to test with his psu successfully you know for certain your psu needs to be replaced. If not its time to start testing your cpu, gpu and mb.
GL!

matosi

It restarted after 5 minutes on occt power test gpu was around 85 and cores were around 95 during it.
while stress testing the gpu consider giving the machine some cpu work, eg 7-zip integrated benchmark

and as said by others test, fail and repeat

the truth is out there :p

System Name none
Processor AMD R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650 GAMING PLUS Wifi
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32GB Kingston 5600MT/s @6200MT/s CL32-36-36-28-68 tweaked sub-timings
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1
Display(s) Samsung U28E590
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Corsair
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Who cares!
Sorry, but I am not wrong. You can see by the link if my sig if I know a little about electronics, hardware, and how system cooling should work.

It is, and always has been the case's responsibility to provide adequate cooling for the components inside. And it the designer's or builder's (or user's) responsibility to design, select and/or configure said case properly.

If you have to run with the side panel open to achieve proper cooling, that's the wrong case, or it is configured wrong! If you believe otherwise, then sorry, but that is simply wrong too.

I don't doubt you have configured your case for the best cooling. But I am saying if you have done that, and it still does not properly cool the components you put in there, then that is simply the wrong case for the job! So then the question becomes, who picked that case
Show me 100 different engineers and I'll show you 100 ways of doing things. Everyone has their own opinion on things. I know that a pc with an RTX 3090, RX 6900 XT or any card with a high power consumption will generate higher amounts of heat. Thermal dynamics, right? I have 5 different systems that I use for my YouTube channel. Each has its own purpose. 2 are open bench systems. Both have an RTX 3090 and a RX 6900 XT. In my other 3 systems I have a RTX 2060 and another RTX 3090 and RX 6900 XT. 3 cases are 1 Corsair 4000D, and 2 Fractal Design Meshify 2. The larger cards are in the FD Meshify 2 cases. Both systems operate cooler with the side panel off. Period.

See the thing is, with all due respect, you keep saying how my pc setups are wrong and questioning what I am pointing out as true. You have no clue what my setup looks like, fan types, graphics card models and cooler designs both for CPU and GPU's, and my ambien conditions in the room where I do my videos. So you are assuming a lot here. I was not even going to respond to your last comment as I see you like to be right a lot based on your previous interactions with other folks. You are right and everyone else therefore must be wrong LOL. I say this with a smile in my face because I deal with difficult people often, as I own a small home renovation business.

Your opinion is valued and I appreciate your thoughts on this. However I will continue to believe what I have seen and tested to work best. And if someone is experiencing difficulties, I will also suggest they try what I have done. It works. But you have a good rest of your day, and remember, opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one :)

I would suspect the PSU first. When troubleshooting possible hardware issues, you always start at the wall. Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you delivering good, clean stable power to the electronics? Obviously, it is plugged in and turned on. But the only way to determine if your PSU is delivering good, clean, stable power is to swap in a known good PSU and see if the problems persist, or go away. Since EVERYTHING inside the case depends on good power, you must start here.

Doesn't matter. It is a myth (and often a risky one too) that TIM (thermal interface materials) needs to be replaced because it is X number of years old. Folks really should just leave TIM alone. AS LONG AS the cured bond between the processor and the heatsink is not broken, there is no reason to replace it. Even if it is 10 years old and dried out, the solids left behind are still occupying the microscopic pits and valleys in the mating surfaces, preventing insulating air from getting in. In other words, the TIM is still doing its job. If you truly "need" the few degrees a fresh application of new TIM "might" provide to prevent crossing over thermal protection thresholds, you have other, more urgent heat issues to deal with first, like case cooling.

I note there is not a single TIM maker, motherboard maker, CPU or GPU maker, or cooler maker that recommends or even suggests replacing the TIM after X number of years.

The problem is, it is too easy to have a mishap that damages the processor, causes excess TIM to get on where it should not be, causes the heatsink to be improperly remounted, etc. All for something not needed. Best to leave it alone so that cured bond does not get broken.

That's fine, Contrary to what many want us to believe, OEM/stock coolers of today are more than capable of providing adequate cooling for the processors they came with AS LONG AS the case is providing a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case. So make sure the case is clean of heat trapping dust and your fans are spinning properly.

I note HWiNFO does show some extremely hot temps, but they are so high (127°C), most likely they are false readings. You might see what another monitor, like Speccy, says.
Not true. Noctua recommends "upto" 5 years usage on a CPU for their NT-H2 thermal pastes. If they recommend up 5 years, what does that mean to anyone? What can anyone draw out of that statement? Logically, I think, it means you should replace it after 5 years. But again, I know you will say I am wrong LOL

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    928.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Arvellon

Take the side panel off and point a desk fan into your case. See if the resulting drop in cpu temps helps with the crashes. If not, you know that heat isnt the issue. Rather the psu is the most likely culprit. Try to borrow your brothers psu to test in your rig. If your able to test with his psu successfully you know for certain your psu needs to be replaced. If not its time to start testing your cpu, gpu and mb.
GL!
Sadly we don't have any backup PSU we can test since my brother is using a laptop and it started to get worse after the cleaning pc started rebooting even with league so there is that as well.

Hello. Have you tried running everything with your computer side panel off? This to allow your computer hardware to breath a bit better and allow for hot air to dissipate into the air quicker. Your cpu and gpu should run a bit cooler. If the symptoms stop then your problem is most likely due to overheating. Try reapplying your thermal paste for cpu and gpu.
Sadly taking side panel off didn't help reapplying thermal paste did make temperatures drop for cpu and gpu but it still reboots.

System Name none
Processor AMD R7 7800X3D
Storage Samsung PM9A1
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) none
Mouse Corsair
Software Windows 11
Sadly we don't have any backup PSU we can test since my brother is using a laptop and it started to get worse after the cleaning pc started rebooting even with league so there is that as well.

Sadly taking side panel off didn't help reapplying thermal paste did make temperatures drop for cpu and gpu but it still reboots.
Okei. Have you tried memtestpro to test memory reliability? Also, a Prime95 small ffts? 1 hour should do. This just to rule out memory or cpu weaknesses.

Arvellon

Okei. Have you tried memtestpro to test memory reliability? Also, a Prime95 small ffts? 1 hour should do. This just to rule out memory or cpu weaknesses.
I couldn't download prime95 anywhere so I couldn't test that.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
SFC

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
System Name none
Processor AMD R7 7800X3D
Storage Samsung PM9A1
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) none
Mouse Corsair
Software Windows 11
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Show me 100 different engineers and I'll show you 100 ways of doing things. Everyone has their own opinion on things.
It is NOT about opinion. It is about fact. A computer case has two primary responsibilities. (1) To house and protect from physical abuse (kicks and bumps) the components inside. And (2), to provide sufficient cooling for those components inside.

If you have to remove the side panel to keep the components inside properly cooled, that case is NOT doing its designated job. That is just a fact - not opinion. It could mean that it is the not correct case for the job, or the case's cooling is configured wrong. Either way, the case is not properly cooling the components. And selecting the right case for the job, and configuring case cooling properly is the user's (or builder's) responsibility. Again, not opinion, just a fact.

If you buy a brand new Ford F150 pickup truck, then hook up a 15,000 pound trailer to it, and the truck overheats, then YOU bought the wrong truck for the job. You should have bought a bigger truck or got a lighter trailer.

Why do cases have air filters if you have to remove the side panel?

As far as Noctua recommending "up to" 5 years usage - LOL, nice try!

You are right -I will say that is not the same thing as Noctua recommending changing it every 5 years. And that's because they don't recommend it. Why? Because you don't have to! Had you dug just a little bit deeper, you would have seen here where it says, my bold underline added,

NT-H2 unique formula is highly stable over time...it can be used on the CPU for 5 years or more.

So no, that does not mean you "should" replace it every 5 years, as you "concluded". :rolleyes: It means what it says - it will easily "remain stable" at least that long. So if I were to "conclude" anything by that, it would be that the chemical composition of the thermal compound will not break down for "5 years or more". And, as I noted repeatedly above, as long as the cured bond is not broken, thus preventing air (or in particular, oxygen) from getting inside, there's really no reason for the chemical composition to break down - thus allowing the TIM to remain effective for years to come.

Ask around with the old-timers here and elsewhere. No doubts many have seen computers (and other electronics) that have not been touched for 10 years (or even longer), still chugging along just fine. Not just with the same original application of TIM, but with the same OEM HSF assembly and, astonishingly (to me anyway) even the same, cheap PSU!

Once again, I am not denying (and never have) that a fresh application of TIM may provide a few degrees of improved cooling. I am simply saying if you are that close to critical thresholds that a few degrees matters, you have bigger cooling issues to deal with first.

System Name none
Processor AMD R7 7800X3D
Storage Samsung PM9A1
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) none
Mouse Corsair
Software Windows 11
It is NOT about opinion. It is about fact. A computer case has two primary responsibilities. (1) To house and protect from physical abuse (kicks and bumps) the components inside. And (2), to provide sufficient cooling for those components inside.

If you have to remove the side panel to keep the components inside properly cooled, that case is NOT doing its designated job. That is just a fact - not opinion. It could mean that it is the not correct case for the job, or the case's cooling is configured wrong. Either way, the case is not properly cooling the components. And selecting the right case for the job, and configuring case cooling properly is the user's (or builder's) responsibility. Again, not opinion, just a fact.

If you buy a brand new Ford F150 pickup truck, then hook up a 15,000 pound trailer to it, and the truck overheats, then YOU bought the wrong truck for the job. You should have bought a bigger truck or got a lighter trailer.

Why do cases have air filters if you have to remove the side panel?

As far as Noctua recommending "up to" 5 years usage - LOL, nice try!

You are right -I will say that is not the same thing as Noctua recommending changing it every 5 years. And that's because they don't recommend it. Why? Because you don't have to! Had you dug just a little bit deeper, you would have seen here where it says, my bold underline added,

So no, that does not mean you "should" replace it every 5 years, as you "concluded". :rolleyes: It means what it says - it will easily "remain stable" at least that long. So if I were to "conclude" anything by that, it would be that the chemical composition of the thermal compound will not break down for "5 years or more". And, as I noted repeatedly above, as long as the cured bond is not broken, thus preventing air (or in particular, oxygen) from getting inside, there's really no reason for the chemical composition to break down - thus allowing the TIM to remain effective for years to come.

Ask around with the old-timers here and elsewhere. No doubts many have seen computers (and other electronics) that have not been touched for 10 years (or even longer), still chugging along just fine. Not just with the same original application of TIM, but with the same OEM HSF assembly and, astonishingly (to me anyway) even the same, cheap PSU!

Once again, I am not denying (and never have) that a fresh application of TIM may provide a few degrees of improved cooling. I am simply saying if you are that close to critical thresholds that a few degrees matters, you have bigger cooling issues to deal with first.

It didn't find anything.

I attached the results text it crashed after 15 minutes or so.
So it crashed after 15 minutes of you running prime95 small fft's, correct? I would try this: Reset the BIOS. Do not enable XMP. Run everything stock. See if the system is stable. Start there. If the issue goes away, then perhaps some voltage setting got out of wack. Enable XMP and see if system continues to work without issue.

If the issue continues. Reset your RAM physically, your graphics card, and check that all PSU connections to the motherboard are set correctly. I'd unplug and plug them back in just to reset all.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Set chipset voltages a little higher than factory default in bios. May need to go to a shop to swap parts for testing... All parts can cause a restart, its a matter of isolating it.

Arvellon

So it crashed after 15 minutes of you running prime95 small fft's, correct? I would try this: Reset the BIOS. Do not enable XMP. Run everything stock. See if the system is stable. Start there. If the issue goes away, then perhaps some voltage setting got out of wack. Enable XMP and see if system continues to work without issue.

If the issue continues. Reset your RAM physically, your graphics card, and check that all PSU connections to the motherboard are set correctly. I'd unplug and plug them back in just to reset all.
We already did all of that including unplugging and plugging them back and it didn't help.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
May need to go to a shop to swap parts for testing...
^^^This^^^. If a second, known good PSU didn't resolve this, and you are sure all connections are tight and secure, I might try running with just one stick of RAM at a time.