• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My system problem!

Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-Premium/Black Pearl
Cooling Luna Block, 240mm rad
Memory Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Saphire 5850 1GB
Storage 60GB SSD + 2x500GB/1TB/2TB
Display(s) Samsung 226BW and 50" Panasonic S2
Case Silverstone TJ-09
Audio Device(s) X-fi Prelude
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy Dxx 850watt
Software Windows7 32Bit
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1M 14.333
humm maybe I should make a topic but I was just wondering.. my OS seems to always be unstable.. like I had Vista on my raid-0.. 1st time I intsalled it I had WMP and IE crashing on me all the time.. even when I would go to open a partion/drive it would close on me.. well than I reinstalled vista.. it worked alot better but aboout a week ago I kept getting windows explorer constantly reseting/crashing so I reformated and put vista on 1 drive (no raid) also that happedn just as I took my system out of my case because I was finally getting around to painting/moding the case.. now on this "freash" install to 1 drive crap is crashing again ie everything in my toolbar (razor software cam software elc) has just vanished and ie crashes alot especially when I hit the x to close it restarts.. what do you think the problem could be.. could it be my motherboqard you think? tigger had a friend who had a gigabyte ds3 that was problomatic.

Any sugestions will be greatly apreciated :) hopefully we can get this problem sorted because its been like this for TOOO long!

ps: dont say ditch Vista!

Edit: also I am running my overclock lighter and my memory timmings are super relaxed now.

Last edited:

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
ditch vista
i had to :p

could be hdd, or oc
checked both?

von kain

System Name intel-hate
Processor Amd phenom 2 955 @ 3800
Motherboard msi 790fx-gd70
Cooling coolermaster
Memory 4096 @1600 corsair
Video Card(s) sapphire 5770 @950-1350
Storage 1 seagate 80gb sata2 1 160gb seagate sata
Display(s) 20inch wide lg
Power Supply chieftech 750w
Software windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores nah
pt is right ditch vista
:roll:
make a testmem usually to crash any procc means that either loose data or can save data
ditch intel
it might be hdd but i would doubt the hdd is usually resistant to any fault

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
ditch vista. sorry, had to say to it lol. sounds like theres some sort of instability thats os connected, i'm sure your orthos and stuff dont generate errors right? its probably not the mobo cause the mobo would affect the whole thing in general, not just specific stuff like ie. probably not hdd cause it'd generate all across instead of just specifics, and so i'd say vista is still a bad os :roll:

Case Silverstone TJ-09
Software Windows7 32Bit
Im pretty sure I had my ocz mwemory when I had vista/raid.. yes I did, though this current memory does not work the best in my mobo... I'll have to put the ocz sticks back in and run mem-test but not tonigh.. though I did have this problem when I 1st installed vista and only had my OCZ gold ram..

enough people on theses fourms (and elsewhere) use Vista flawlessly for the most part and I want to be dx10 ready + I like Vista's looks and that plays a part in my day to day computing :p.

this ram passes Orthos but not memory test in this mobo.. though this mobo does have problems with micron memory but I had my ocz's in before and I still had this "problem" till I reinstalled Vista than it went away.. till that windows explorer constant re-crashing problem..

g damm lol I cant even install BioShock cause I will lose another activation.. till I get this POFS sorted out.. truely a strange problem this is.. and to buy another mobo... is not cheap or what I want to do atm because Im waiting on nexted gen cpu's and 780i boards..

I thikn its my mobo though as Tigger has said before since he has a friend who has issues with a ds3 board... it worked fine with xp this time last year.. alot of upgrades since.

Case Silverstone TJ-09
Software Windows7 32Bit
specifics, and so i'd say vista is still a bad os :roll:

^^ but so many people use Vista without any real hitches, sucks to be me lol and Im all stuffed up/ itch inside my sinus :S

Xp wants me to have a floppy drive for raid too.. I refuse to buy a useless/pos floppy drive :laugh:

maybe I'll just try my luck reinstalling again.. I have no clue really why I got that explorer.exe constant recrashing problem.. Vista was working fine that install.. up until last week.. so it worked fine for a few months... it worked flawlessly.

I'll just try and wait for the new 780i boards to come out.. I cant be bothered to put MORE $$ into my rig for one atm.

Thanks to everyone for the help.. if anyone else has any imput speak! ty.

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
^^ but so many people use Vista without any real hitches, sucks to be me lol and Im all stuffed up/ itch inside my sinus :S

Xp wants me to have a floppy drive for raid too.. I refuse to buy a useless/pos floppy drive :laugh:

Vista has no real hitches here.

Case Silverstone TJ-09
Software Windows7 32Bit
yeah man was just editing my post than I clicked system spec and fuged it up lol

My sinus!~

I donno the problem sucks and it sucks bad! 1st build and its been a pain in the ass from day one :O I always get the most wierdest problems, even when I was 1st building this rig... truly unapealing:shadedshu

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
yeah man was just editing my post than I clicked system spec and fuged it up lol

My sinus!~

I donno the problem sucks and it sucks bad! 1st build and its been a pain in the ass from day one :O I always get the most wierdest problems, even when I was 1st building this rig... truly unapealing:shadedshu

Well how has orthors and prime go at stock settings? How about mem test? Also, you brought up the mobo...interesting thought there, perhaps the hdds? How's the SMART status of the drives?

Case Silverstone TJ-09
Software Windows7 32Bit
^^ I'll DL & run smart now easy enough before bed :) I use(d) Orthos for testing my overclock and everything runs fine with it mem and cpu wise.. but my mobo does not like this ram much so in bios it tells me this :p with f6 bios it said Ram Fail! With the latest f12 bios that is seposed to fix the problem with the ds3 board and micron memory it tells me my system voltages are "wrong" or something along those lines though they are all at the right voltages.. I will have to put the ocz sticks back in but my 1st install with Vista I had them and I still had this problem.. wierd eh and before that I had XP and that worked fine with my 1 drive that I had at the time.. lol I'll download SMART while I go wandering around the house with my stuffed up nose. :p

B

bassmasta

don't ditch vista. i have EXACTLY the same problem, and xp is even worse than vista. it's definetly a hardware problem that we both seem to have in common. i have had memtest for 20 hours and orthos for 5, tell me how yours goes. also, my problems appeared after i installed stalker and did a registry clean/ disk defrag. maybe you do these things often? maybe it's a vista update arguing with something in bios's.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
1./ Try the safedisk remover utility (or whatever that nasty CD-protection stuff is called)

2./ Set ALL timings to normal/default (CPU and memory)

3./ Swap RAM sticks across slots

4./ Replace your IDE cables (I know this sounds crazy, but it fixed a similar prob for me a year ago)

5./ Check your USB/USB hub. Remove/disable

In my entire PC history, I've had 2 unfathomable problems, one on an MSI and one on an ASUS board. In the end I replaced the boards and the problems disappeared. One was a USB problem (dodgy southbridge?), the other was never found out.

B

bassmasta

check you event manager for errors about audit stuff, windows security stuff, and irq allocations.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
Vista still has driver issues, sounds like your one who is still affected.

Your best bet would be running xp for a while or at least turning off aero etc.

For bioshock - pirate it. You already purchased it so you are legal, just use the pirated version which has been stripped of the activation.

Case Silverstone TJ-09
Software Windows7 32Bit
ok finnally I got vista working a bit better for now... took me 3 hours to get raid working.. my raid driver wasent working.. I dl'd the new one yadda yadda.. and it still didnt work.. but finnally with xraid driver it worked.. so long story shorter Im more sstable at the momment to try the things you all have mentioned for me to. :)

thanks will be given out soon.

Case Silverstone TJ-09
Software Windows7 32Bit
1./ Try the safedisk remover utility (or whatever that nasty CD-protection stuff is called)

2./ Set ALL timings to normal/default (CPU and memory)

3./ Swap RAM sticks across slots

4./ Replace your IDE cables (I know this sounds crazy, but it fixed a similar prob for me a year ago)

5./ Check your USB/USB hub. Remove/disable

In my entire PC history, I've had 2 unfathomable problems, one on an MSI and one on an ASUS board. In the end I replaced the boards and the problems disappeared. One was a USB problem (dodgy southbridge?), the other was never found out.

could you link me to #1? I found SafediscAnalyser but I dont really know what to do with it.

Edit: heres the link to where I found it pretty cool software in there.. its all alphabetically ordered. http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=20399

Edit 2: just noticed you saying that you had dodgy boards before.. yeagh so far so good this install.. Vista says winrar was not installed corectly.. that the only thing that poped up so far.. I'll have to reinstall it I guess.

will post back if anything pops up for now Im happy its atleast working fairly smoothly so far, but yes I am going to upgrade my mobo.. even though thats not something I realy want to spend $$ on yet.

Last edited:

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
So you still haven't verified your OCZ memory using memtest yet dude? If you're still using the same memory that doesn't pass memtest, that's probably not helping with your instability. I've seen plenty of people use D9 based memory with 680i's, and with newer revisions and bios udpates I don't think it's such a problem any more, if anything I think it's your RAM and not your MB. I could be wrong though, haven't really seen a specific detail as to why the MB is bad from you, but Im sure you would have a pretty good idea of that.

I remember a thead you started 2-3 weeks ago, and we were trying to get you to memtest and verify. I thought back then you said you were gonna stick your OCZ's in and memtest them, and do one stick at a time. Let us know how that goes you procrastinator! :D

I ran Vista fine, but sound driver support and trying to use VOip was an extreme headache, plus it uses more resources, and really after using it for 6 months I wasnt THAT impressed with the OS when I could just go back to XP and have better performance and make XP perform, look and function how I want it to. But I was in your shoes Chewy, I made Vista work good for a while and it did a good job, it was stable for the most part, games ran good, and so on. Vista just doesn't do it for me, and I'm not all that impressed with DX10 atm, I think it needs to mature or just dissapear when the next version is released with further improvements.

But do keep us posted, and do that memtest, if you're still failing, don't expect to be stable if it's causing corruptions, and it doesn't get better, trust me I know...but soon enough you'll be stable and enjoying your Vista, till you decide that the only real reason for it is DX10, and that hasn't really proven it's worth all the hype. Vista is a modern day Win ME in my opinion, but some may argue or disagree. That is my feelings from my experience with it.

:toast:

Case Silverstone TJ-09
Software Windows7 32Bit
well I updated my mobo to the latest bios thats seposed to have cleared up the micron problem though I dont thin fully with my sticks.. yeah I'll justs put in the ocz's not much difference with my clocks and them atm. I justs gotta get around to it soon lol.. it just took me forever just to get raid drivers to stick.. it would show up when installing vista but than woould disapier unabling me form loadiung vista.. that was with a graid driver.. than I found a xraid driver and it worked :/ :p after installing vista like 5 times.. the graid driver worked before.. things that make you go humm eh :p.

yeah thanks for reminding me i'll run memtest with my ocz's in than if it still fails its more likey purely my mobo at fault. :toast:

Edit: another thing that might of cause the raid driver to mess up was that I had my usb stick in my top usb port.. I moved it to the bottom finally for safe measure :p LOL NOOB!

Last edited: