1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My thoughts on GPU and CPU development

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nordic, May 6, 2013.

1. Nordic

Nordic

Thanks Received:
    Nvidea is supposedly coming out with the 700 series soon and not for cheap. Amd might surprise us with a 8000 series in response. Neither of these are much of a leap from the 600/7000 series's. At the moment I don't care. I am happy with my 7970. I am actually happy about how slow nvidea and amd are being because it might keep my 7xxx cards value up a bit longer. At 1080p games really don't need more gpu power.

Intel seems to be keeping about the same performance level but lowering watts used. I have a 4.5ghz 2500k which is pretty fast respectively. I don't know why but I feel I want a good 30-50% more cpu performance. Its not like today's software is really using the cpu either. Yet I want to upgrade.

I have seen similar theme discussions in haswell and nexgen threads. Most people seam to want more gpu power but are happy with their cpu's. I am not entirely sure why I am making this thread but I know I want to see more of that theme.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Hardware where its at can stay at this point, what needs to happen is software development taking advantage of the hardware out there. Once that begins to happen, I am sure we will begin to see big jumps in hardware performance as the generations go on.

3. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    And believe it or not, the new console cycle will help drive games that better utilize features found in current video cards and use more than 512MBs of RAM for animation, A.I., physics and basic polygon models, among other things.

It's ridiculous how, besides some PC exclusive games, the vast majority of software released on multiple platforms these days are constrained by the hard limits imposed by the current crop of consoles, as developers usually only add a few DX11 effects and higher res. textures when porting games to PC, leaving the core of their engines intact.

Pretty soon we may find ourselves in a new era of gaming, that will take full advantage of our current hardware and beyond.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Im not even talking just games. Im talking software in general.

5. Nordic

Nordic

Thanks Received:
    My post was made with the short sited view of the next 3 years and current software. A lot could change.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but what better representation of software that pushes your hardware to the limit than bleeding edge games :rockout: :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. jagjitnatt

Thanks Received:
    Software developers have gone lazy since the days of powerful processors, and bigger hard drives, SSDs will only make things worse in the software industry.

Developers today create unoptimized software that performs 5-10x slower than an optimized version of the same software.

Remember when uTorrent came out, it was 150 KB, compared to 20MB+ for Azure, 5MB+ for BitComet, and similarly for BitTorrent, BitTornado etc.

The same software uTorrent today is 1MB in size without any siginificant change in usability or features.

Browsers are a similar story. Mozilla was fast till 3.xx, now all of these are slow and bloated and take up 100s of MBs of RAM even with light usage.

The blame goes to RAD tools and languages that require a framework. Very few people code in C and C++ these days.

Software is going downhill, the world need some good developers.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I have a 7970 too, and am very satisfied having found an OC version (1000 core) for $330. I was basically shopping for a card to get me by until Maxwell, and was at first looking at the 660 Ti, but this was so cheap I went for it.

Funny thing is, despite Nvidia's claim of Maxwell being projected to be so much more powerful than current GPUs, with the stellar driver support AMD has given lately, I'm actually more interested now in what they will offer to compete with Maxwell.

I'll worry about that when the time comes though. For now this card is performing plenty well for a single 1080p display, and AMD's driver support has been better than the game developer's patch support, even on big titles, like Bioshock Infinite for example.

9. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    bleeding edge folding/crunching @ 100% full usage.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Nordic

Nordic

Thanks Received:
    Maxwell may be a dud but I doubt it. I don't remember reading anything about what amd will be putting out around that time. With the 700 series looking to be really expensive, nvidea might put a high premium on maxwell. All speculation at this point though.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    The development of new APUs is not going to hurt the value of your 7970. APUs will take a very long time to reach the potential of a standalone GPU such as a 7970. You really have nothing to worry about. APUs are meant for cost efficient budget friendly consumers who want descent graphics but don't want to pay the price tag for a pricey standalone GPU (as of right now).

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Ive a point , how far off do you think it is before gpus have an x86-64 core inbuilt or possibly an arm to aid compute;).

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Nordic

Nordic

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like you were responding to me in the OP. I did not mention apu's. I was saying I am happy that the amd 8000 series and nvidea 700 series being slow to come and not a big jump is a good thing because it keeps my 7000 series cards value up.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Slow? Lol... You can expect them to be here by the end of the year. As of a matter of fact, it seems as normal as its always been in terms of next gen arrivals. Your 7970 will still be a strong contender, however, it will drop in value based on two factors: arrival of next gen cards and ARRIVAL OF NEXT GEN GAMES. The next gen games will be coming as the consoles usher them in. As far as the cards, I mean you could guess at least a 20% increase from 7900 to 8900. That's a significant jump.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I was going to say that. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Not far at all givem today's news, you beat me in detail but my minds eyes been watchin btarunner :) :p.

Crunching for Team TPU