• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My UPS has probably died

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It is true that APC's reliability took a hit after the Schneider take-over. But that was years ago and in my experience, they have recovered - at least their products have, not sure about their customer support. I've heard some real horror stories there - but then that applies to just about every company in ever industry.

In personal and SOHO scenarios (that is, 1500VA UPS or smaller) over the last 30 years or so I have personally used, been responsible for, or am just aware of UPS from APC, CyberPower, Belkin, and Tripp Lite as the 4 primary brands. And there have been a few other off-brands like Liebert, BXTerra, Opti-UPS, GeekSquad rebranded and Amazon's rebranded. And while they worked fine - when they worked, the APC UPS still consistently failed at a lower rate than all the others.

But for larger applications (3000VA and larger) Tripp-Lite, Eaton, and Liebert were consistently more reliable - but much more expensive too, and often don't have user replaceable batteries. :(

I know what the APC site says, and its quite amazing that they are wrong, but I have 100x in stock, and none of them have a fan.
Our photos are of the 1500 type, which does have a fan.
It is important to remember that APC currently sells at least a dozen 1500VA UPS models on Newegg in the United States alone. And they sell many more models in different countries. Some definitely do have fans, some don't. So when looking at the APC website, it is important to ensure you are looking at the exact model number.

That said, product specs found on websites are typically compiled and published by non-technical people hired by marketing weenies to maintain websites. It is not uncommon to see mistakes. So what I do is download the user manual pdf and/or datasheet pdf and verify.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Well, there is exactly one rackmount SMT1000 model (variants for different voltages and with or without the network cards are irrelevant) as far as I can tell.
They should really put their shit together. Eaton has much better website, and Cyberpower as well. Finding anything on APC's is a nightmare :banghead: