• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My UPS is charging my 75AH Car battery

In a car you dont have a fixed variabel, but a constant switching and dynamic one, pretty much dictated by the engine's current RPM and / or current load onto the battery/alternator. It's just not a ideal situation. I live with a battery usually lasts 3 to 5 years, depending on brand and / or usage. After that replace it with a 75 euro costing one incl. installation and good to go.

Edit: So glad i have a UPS in the first place. Power outtage of exactly a second. It jumped in and prevented from losing my work! TV and all other equipment flew out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 185158

In a car you dont have a fixed variabel, but a constant switching and dynamic one, pretty much dictated by the engine's current RPM and / or current load onto the battery/alternator. It's just not a ideal situation. I live with a battery usually lasts 3 to 5 years, depending on brand and / or usage. After that replace it with a 75 euro costing one incl. installation and good to go.

Edit: So glad i have a UPS in the first place. Power outtage of exactly a second. It jumped in and prevented from losing my work! TV and all other equipment flew out.

I did want to give my 2 cents here. May hurt feelings.
But you know what???
One of the dumbest things you could do is charge a car battery inside the home. Dont be offended, just Dont do that please.
Automotive batteries are dangerous period.

The altenator charges the battery and runs all system components period. The battery is to simply start the vehicle and nothing more. Should always be at a full charge.

Battery has un told amount of battery life. Not a single person here can predict if a battery is going bad in 1 year or 10, so bragging that your battery lasted 5 years means nothing.

The rpm of the altenator means nothing above usually 1200 rpm. The altenator may create more voltage but the output regulator controls that current so revving your engine really fast during a jump start is pointless.

But yea, charge the car battery not inside the home. Please. People can be seriously injured.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I did want to give my 2 cents here. May hurt feelings.
But you know what???
One of the dumbest things you could do is charge a car battery inside the home. Dont be offended, just Dont do that please.
Automotive batteries are dangerous period.

The altenator charges the battery and runs all system components period. The battery is to simply start the vehicle and nothing more. Should always be at a full charge.

Battery has un told amount of battery life. Not a single person here can predict if a battery is going bad in 1 year or 10, so bragging that your battery lasted 5 years means nothing.

The rpm of the altenator means nothing above usually 1200 rpm. The altenator may create more voltage but the output regulator controls that current so revving your engine really fast during a jump start is pointless.

But yea, charge the car battery not inside the home. Please. People can be seriously injured.
I agree ,car batteries and I would say tyres are a danger no one realises, they blow up bad.

Guys i am very aware that charging car batterys releases gasses, thats why i set it in a place where 2 windows where open.

I cant pull a powercord from 20 meters through the car like that. It was a quick and dirty sollution.

D

Deleted member 185158

Guys i am very aware that charging car batterys releases gasses, thats why i set it in a place where 2 windows where open.

I cant pull a powercord from 20 meters through the car like that. It was a quick and dirty sollution.

It's the explosion part you'd be worried most about. Might be rare to you, but I've seen it happen on a 10amp charger.
Seen my old boss get it in the eyes. You wanna know how hard it is to help a guy screaming and running in circles is?? Well, you don't want to find out trust me.

But you did what you had to do, but if possible, find some one to just jump start the car. Once the car is running, the alternator will charge the battery, just let it idle for an hour and you'll be good to go.