• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My virus is back again :@

System Name Ma Biatch
Processor i7 860
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3A
Cooling Noctua
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G-Skill
Video Card(s) GTX 470
Storage WD5000aaks raid0
Display(s) Sony Bravia 37" 1080p
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
oh btw anyone can google and just quote the first thing they come across, have a look see:

Although a virus CAN write to (and corrupt) a PC's CMOS memory, it can NOT "hide" there. The CMOS memory used for system information (and backed up by battery power) is not "addressable," and requires Input/Output ("I/O") instructions to be usable. Data stored there are not loaded from there and executed, so virus code written to CMOS memory would still need to infect an executable program in order to load and execute whatever it wrote. A virus could use CMOS memory to store part of its code, and some tamper with the CMOS Setup's values. However, executable code stored there must first be first moved to DOS memory in order to be executed

http://www.softheap.com/internet/cmos-viruses_23.html

No, a virus cannot reside in the CMOS. A virus can corrupt the data stored in the CMOS, and there are many programs which can verify if this data has been altered from a stored copy. Yes, one can use a program to replace the CMOS data with the original data.

http://expertanswercenter.techtarget.com/eac/knowledgebaseAnswer/0,295199,sid63_gci980540,00.html

and theres more HERE

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Hey...a few weeks ago I got a virus which stopped my PC from booting and causing blue screen errors. It got stored on CMOS so I wiped it...although it was still left on my two hard drives - even though I wiped them both and I fear it may be on the OS discs as well (Vista and XP):cry::cry:.

My question today is, where can a virus spread to? Can it spread to CDs or even RAM? (Im only 14 so please excuse my lack of virus knowledge).

FAXA

Reset your CMOS again, then download, install and run NOD32.....that should get the b*stard :)

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
lets not let things spiral .... anymore than they already have