• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My White CL4P-TP build log (WIP)

System Name Thermaltake
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D @ 4.60 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix @ 3600 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 319 Merc 6800 XT
Storage Kingston 256GB SSD | Kingston 240GB NVMe | Samsung 1TB NVMe | Samsung F3 1TB HDD | Barracuda 2TB HDD
Display(s) 34" ultrawide LG 34GL750B 144hz 1ms | 55" LG UR91 4k@60Hz
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400
Audio Device(s) ALC 1220 120dB SNR HD Audio
Power Supply Thermaltake GF1 850 W - 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO Lightspeed
Keyboard Asus TUF Gaming K3
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Hi guys! After a loooong time, I've kicked my PC gaming into next gear and I decided to upgrade.
NEW: Motherboard
, CPU, RAM, NVME SSD, cable management, some style and a new monitor!
I've also re-arranged my gaming room and made myself a bookshelf with component boxes.

I have written about my PC years ago when I painted it white. I made a separate discussion about that here.
I have decided to provide a vast ammount of numbers for the build in a blog sort of way. What's been done and what's going to be done. I'll also be including benchmark results. That's the reason I've opened up a new thread, the discussion has "switched" orientation.

Some visual representation:
IMG_20180815_172255.jpg

FPS layout
IMG_20180815_171850.jpg

Racing layout
IMG_20180815_172635.jpg

Night mode
IMG_20180815_173046.jpg

Close-up Clappy trappy
IMG_20180815_171930.jpg

Insides
IMG_20180815_172126.jpg

IMG_20180815_172104.jpg

@IceScreamer suggested to paint the Radeon sign black and I delivered, thanks! You sir, are a genious!
IMG_20180815_212554.jpg

The "book" shelf :D
IMG_20180815_171711.jpg

The idea is that this is a several year old build and she's my "baby". So, this is gonna get quite long: component-by-component analizing shit to explain the way I made her work. And in-advance: Any extra tinkering help is appreciated. I know much but not that much.

USED FOR CASUAL GAMING AND MULTIMEDIA WITH THE FUTURE IN MIND

Display:
I'm using a 29" ultrawide from LG. It has 75 Hz freesync and I use it to the fullest extent. That means all my games are limited to 75 Hz + freesync if supported. If not I limit my FPS in-game to 75. The native resolution of the monitor is 2560x1080 which is 33% more in pixel-count than 1920x1080. It feels buttery smooth to me and I think it uses the platform pretty well. This you need to know, to understand the performance standards I want here.

CPU:
Recently wanting to upgrade the CPU has left me no choice but to switch platforms. I was using an FX-8350 running at 4.8 GHz with a boost of 5.1 GHz which was great and the AC Freezer Extreme was cooling it well enough. I gave the CPU, MOBO and RAM to my brother of 10 :D

Picking the CPU I wanted something that will last me for 4-5 years, so after seeing many reviews and reccomendations, I figured that the Ryzen 7 1700 would be a great enough choice for me. After seeing that the cooler boxed with the CPU is adequate for my needs (Thanks Kyle), I was also in for a 40-50 € save. Now I run the CPU at 3.6 GHz on all cores, with a 0.054 V undervolt. The reason for this is that during stress testing and recording using CPU, the CPU crashes with lower voltages.

Motherboard:
I was planning on buying a B350 chipset motherboard, because it enabled the overclocking features I thought I needed, but I found this X370 board that was tested and returned, so I said what the hell, if it doesn't work I can still return it and get refund. So far so good, the board in question is a Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K3. It has loads of USB 3.0 and 3.1 ports, the Gen 2 ones, a bucket-load of SATA ports, and NVME port, not to mention all the FAN headers and so forts. Basically enough for a casual gamer with some multimedia work. The only thing that's missing and is keeping me from having the CPU FAN's light on, is that it's missing an RGB header. Bummer, eh? But that's okay!

RAM:
As far as the RAM goes, I was using Crucial Ballistix Elite before and I've decided to go with them again, since they failed to fail me, hehe. I went for an 8 GB stick of DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400 MHz CL16. They look nice with the color of the motherboard. I'm buying another stick pretty soon, so keep that in mind. I've also "overclocked" the RAM to 2666 MHz and I'm planning on configuring the timings with RyzenRAM, I'll be needing some help with that!

GPU:
The GPU is an old R9 290X, reference cooler, 4 GB, I've played with the BIOS a bit etc. and well, it squeezes out the most it can with this cooler. I'd very much like to buy an aftermarket one, but not for 100 €. So if anyone is selling an aftermarket cooler for this card, I'd be happy to buy it, for a reasonable price of course. It's able to push most of my games at 75 FPS locked with Freesync at native 2560x1080 and almost every option turned up, except different AA, I see you wankers in BF1 better without it :D There is still some overclocking headroom without increasing voltages(huge power consumption), but the cooler won't let me. I've changed the thermal paste to AC MX-2 and it's keeping the card about 5° C cooler now. The memory timings have also been tightened.

Storage space:
The drive configuration of the system is pretty simple and smart, to give me the ability not to lose performance much when multitasking and have general better organisation. I'm using a Kingston SSDNow V300 120 GB SSD as the system drive. It contains only the Windows 10 installation and some core programs. Those include MS Office, Adobe Suite, benchmarking tools etc. I still have over 40 GB left on that drive and I don't see myself ever using it up.

Next is a 500 GB WD Caviar Black HDD where I store files I legally download on the internet and my source videos. Downloading files are stored on a separate drive so performance is not impacted on say game loading times. Game installation files are also stored on this drive, so I have faster game installation, because files are read from one drive and written on another. I'm using a separate drive for all my installed games.

Here we come to the 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD game/rendered video disk. This is a drive where I install my legally downloaded games, and also Origin, Steam and Uplay libraries. When rendering videos this disk is also used for the finished rendering of a video. Here I'm also using the benefits of having two disks (performance).

I'm probably going to get a new 2 TB drive since they're awfully cheap these days, maybe even 4 TB, and use the 1 TB instead of the 500 GB.

Last but not least, here we come to the new 240 GB Kingston SUV500M8 NVMe SSD, which for some reason now has a not-working version of GTA:SA installed, but it's otherwise empty. I still haven't figured out what I'll be using it for, but I was going for gameplay recording.

PSU:
The power supply is a 530 W 80 Plus certified, with good reviews and I think the PC shouldn't really use more than 350-400 W of power, which is keeping things in the good zone of the efficiency curve so no planned upgrades here.

Case cooling:
I'm upgrading the 5 case fans I have to a red LED with higher CFM and lower noise ones, maybe also add another one. I just love fans and they're basically inaudible so.

There you go! This should get you a basic idea of what this PC is all about! Now that I've written this long post I need another coffee. Be ready to be getting some numbers!
I'm sorry if I missed something, be sure to correct my wrongness.

Last edited:
Processor Intel core i5 4590s
Motherboard Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
Cooling Evercool EC115A 915SP Cpu cooler,Coolermaster [200mm (front and top)+140mm rear]
Memory Corsair 16GB(4x4) ddr3 CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9(Ver8.16)(XMP)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Storage Western Digital WDC WD2001FAS 2TB Black, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
Display(s) LG Flatron L177WSB
Case Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer
Audio Device(s) Creative A550 Speakers 5.1 channel
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex 2 Gold 650W SF-650F14EG
Mouse PLNK M-740 Optical Mouse
Keyboard ibuypower GKB100 Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Sp1 64 bit
i am genuinely interested in your build as I'm also trying to build a pc around the 1700 and a gtx 1070...but why are storage components are listed in capacity as no-name items?

System Name Thermaltake
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D @ 4.60 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix @ 3600 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 319 Merc 6800 XT
Storage Kingston 256GB SSD | Kingston 240GB NVMe | Samsung 1TB NVMe | Samsung F3 1TB HDD | Barracuda 2TB HDD
Display(s) 34" ultrawide LG 34GL750B 144hz 1ms | 55" LG UR91 4k@60Hz
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400
Audio Device(s) ALC 1220 120dB SNR HD Audio
Power Supply Thermaltake GF1 850 W - 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO Lightspeed
Keyboard Asus TUF Gaming K3
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
i am genuinely interested in your build as I'm also trying to build a pc around the 1700 and a gtx 1070...but why are storage components are listed in capacity as no-name items?
I have added the exact storage components name in the original post.

Here I am adding some benchmark results:
CPU-Z.png

UnigineHeaven.PNG
CinebenchCPU.png

This is roughly what a 10 minute stress test looks like. ALL COMPONENTS UNDER FULL LOAD. Temperatures stabilize after a bit over 5 minutes. Don't mind the high GPU temperature, it's because of the reference cooler and I can't help it. As you can see, the stock CPU cooler is more than enough for keeping this baby OC'ed from 3.0 → 3.6 GHz base clock on all cores. The NVMe SSD is also getting pretty hot, but that's because it's sitting right next to the very hot GPU.
StabilityTest10.png

I would like to tighten the memory timing of the machine using RyzenRAMCalculator by 1usmus. I have failed here, I actually got worse performance, so back to previous settings it is :D

UPDATE: The memory has been overclocked to 2800 MHz using timings of 15-15-15-30-45 T1. Cinebench score went from 1596 to 1600! :D

CinebenchCPU+RAM2800.png

Last edited: