1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My x16 PCI-e Video Card is shown as x4!?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by CRASHakaDRNmk, Jul 1, 2008.

1. CRASHakaDRNmk New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

The title says everything! I have a x16 PCI-e GC, put in x16 PCI-e slot, and still it's shown as x4 PCI-e??? I've updated the BIOS, updated the drivers, but still nothing! IF anyone knows about this problem, PLEEASEEEE help!!!

My comp. specs:
    Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz 4MB 1333MHz
    ASUS P5K
    RAM 4x 1GB 667MHz
    GeForce 8600GT Super 512MB 128bit

2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to tpu,hope we can help :)

I mite be able to help if you know your way around the bios :).Try going into the bios and setting the pci-e speed to 201,or setting the north bridge voltage to 1.3/4v.It could be the 4 sticks of ram,you may need more voltage to the nb.Also try it with only 2 sticks of ram and let me know if its the same.

Usually this happens on the p5k (i have a p5k-premium) series when overclocking,but if your running stock,i'm sure we can figure it out.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. CRASHakaDRNmk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! :)

Well, to be honest, i'm noob, i don't know much about BIOS and don't know what many of the shortnames means but this is what i could figure out:

MY bios>

It has 5 categories: Main, Advanced, Power, Boot and Tools
    I checked Main and it has nothing about PCI-e, also BOOT, and Tools only have EZ-flash

Advanced have> Jumprer free config, USB config, CPU config, Chipset, Onboard devices config and PCIPnP (PCI Plug and Play which is enabled)
    -from this, only chipset has north bridge config and it's values are set like this:
    Memory remap feature (enabled); Initiate graphic adapter (it's PEG/PCI now, but you can change to PCI/PEG)?, PEG port control (auto), PEG port Force x1 (disabled)

POWER have>
    suspend mode (auto)
    Repost video on 3 resume (disabled)
    ACPI version (disabled)
    ACPI Apic support
    APM config
    Hardware monitor which have some VCOre voltage set at 1.304V, and under this there are 3.3 V Voltage set at 3.296V, 5V Voltage set at 5.064 V, 12V Voltage set at 11.816 V

this is all i could figure out from Bios that have something to do with what you told me, but i still don't know what to do! help!?! :)

4. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Make sure the video-card is installed in the first blue slot and not the second black one.

5. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you plugged the GPU into the lower slot of the P5K, well then theres your problem :). Top slot = 16x, bottom slot = 4x.

this applies for not only CF on P35 boards

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. CRASHakaDRNmk New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's in the top blue x16 @ x16 pcie slot

7. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Go into advanced in the bios and set ai overclocking(its at the top) to manual.Now go down the list to pci-e frequency,set it to 105.go further down the list to north bridge voltage,set it to 1.4.Reboot and see if that fixes it.

To you tpu guys,this is a well known error on the p5b/p5k series,there is lots about this in a p5b thread on xs forum.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. CRASHakaDRNmk New Member

Thanks Received:
    i don't have ai overclocking in advanced, only the things that i mentioned before! but i've installed the AI suite from asus and is this what you were talking about>?

[​IMG]

9. CRASHakaDRNmk New Member

Thanks Received:
    never mind before, i found ai overclock (you should just say jumper free config), i've set ai o. to manual, pci freq to 105 and north.b. to 1.4, but still nothing happend! should i set a higher values or?

10. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    You have the card in the black PCI-E slot which only operates at 4x, turn off your computer and then move the card from the black PCI-E slot to the blue one and your problem will be solved, also if you don't plan on overclocking anything you should revert the PCI-E freq and northbridge volts back to stock to not do any harm to your system.

11. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    its x16 wide, but the lanes to it are x4
    do this help :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    he's already said its in the blue 16x slot, not the black 4x slot.

raise the PCI-E freqeuncy a few more MHz to say, 110 or 115. that often fixes the problem. mess with northbridge voltages as well, i remember reading that they often fixed it (as in, too high or too low causes it. you need to test all settings... of course, the highest will require you to put a fan on your northbridge)

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. CRASHakaDRNmk New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've tried on 110, 115, 120, and nothing changed, on 130 when reboot it showed me boot device not found or something like that, than i returned to bios defaults. i think it could be the powering!? I have 450W (real 230V) power on my case! is that enough or do i need to add new one more powerful?

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    firstly, 450W and 230V have nothing to do with each other. the first is the PSU's wattage, the second is the power your wall sockets provide.

it IS possible its the PSU, its just that theres well known reports of being stuck at 1x on those boards.

Hell, just make sure its in the slot correctly, and theres no dust or dirt in the slot or on the pins of the card.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008