1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mystery of F-22 illnesses grows

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by FordGT90Concept, May 10, 2012.

1. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that's F-22 Raptor, the fifth generation air superiority fighter...

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/09/mystery-of-f-22-illnesses-grows/?hpt=hp_t2

WTF!?!

Last edited: May 10, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    When not on masks how is air supplied to the cockpit? This makes me wonder if some part is leaching something into the air that's blocking oxygen absorption, and that isn't related directly to the masks. Or some coincidental secondary cause.

3. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Yea they set a hard top for them of 22,000 feet, until they find out what's happening. May not help though. Could be fumes or something, getting into the cockpit. Billions of dollars, for a plane that kills it's pilot.. Money well spent...:mad:

4. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    That's wierd. I reckon there's a design fault causing a chemical or fuel leak somewhere. It's very slight and therefore hard to trace.

5. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    Thats to bad, my uncle was a design engineer for that plane. Have to call and ask what he thinks

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I'll bet he has a good idea of the cause, but will be gagged by national security restrictions from revealing it.

DRDNA and D007 say thanks.
  7. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Its a flaw in the o2 system designed by Honeywell, they have yet to pin down exactly what not working right tho as the problem cannot be duplicated and seems to happen randomly.
    Could be worse like the F-35 with its countless problems and failures.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    tax payers def want this as a priority in this fantastic economy

KieX, AsRock and qubit say thanks.
  9. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Soo cutting. :laugh:

10. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if it has something to do with the skin of the aircraft.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Just what we need; a kamikaze stealth fighter...?

Thankfully this hasn't, to my knowledge, cost lives yet. I understand the desire to keep multiple suppliers unaware of other systems, for presumably the sake of security. On the other hand having no idea why something is failing and no cross communication means that internal developers need to figure out a problem, without the help of better qualified technical experts outside the project.

It is my hope that the hypoxia issue is solved soon. This project stands to be a substantial boondogle if it isn't.

Seems kind of ironic that some of the components were probably manufactured in China. Yes, I had to go there.

12. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    Has the US Air force retired its F-15s yet?
    I realize the F-22 can fly circles around an F-15, but if they're having problems...

13. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Nope, the iconic F-15 is still in service. Though i think it very small numbers and is widely replaced by the F-18 Hornet and Super Hornet, depending on the loadout needs for the mission.
    Though it's interesting to observe dates of these aircrafts. They are all mostly made back in the 80's and 90's. Looks like the design was so good that they didn't feel like it to change them. Or they simply cost so much they can't really make new designs as quickly as they used to.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Its seemingly not in the air system as engineers who were testing the thing sitting in the cockpit also got sick...while not being attached to that system.

F-15 = 1978 for its public release, and first flight in the early 70s.
    F-18 = was 83 for its release, and first flight in the late 70's. Super Hornet was 90's, and the growler version was late 200x.

15. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Supposedly, the one that crashed was caused by hypoxia, pilot died:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/19/air-force-evidence-points-f-pilots-death/

They found counterfeit parts in the Chinook supply chain. I'm sure the supply chain for the Raptor is so tight, there's no chance any counterfeit parts could get in.

It takes decades to put a new design into commission during peace time. Like right now, they're still working on new software upgrades to handle more missile types.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    If it ain't broken don't fix it I would say.
    All of them will be replaced once, it's a long and expensive process...the same way the Eurofighter is replacing a lot of aircrafts in many countries here in Europe and it will probably have the same lifetime as the aircrafts now in use.

17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Eurofighter........fail.

18. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Nope, the F-15 is still the air superiority/interceptor of the Air Force, deployed in large numbers. The USAF doesn't use F-18s at all, they are deployed by the USN and USMC.

19. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, great post really explained it all, and it's funny to say that in this thread :rolleyes:

Anyhow they had this issue in the past already, with the F/A-18. The OBOGS (Onboard Oxygen Generating System) system is on F/A-18 as well. Exhaust air was being sucked back into the engine which of course contains CO. The F/A-18 suffered from this problem when pilots were stacked behind the jet blast deflector or other aircrafts awaiting their turn to taxi to the catapults. I think they implemented changes in ground procedures or changes to the F/A-18 which stopped the problem. If I remember correctly there were around 60 or more cases of this.

However in the F-22's case I remember reading that there were similar reports when they started them up in the hangar and caused exhaust air to be sucked back into the engines bleed air intake, but I don't know if this is the case here.
    The problem with CO is that it does not dissipate from your bloodstream very quickly and it doesn't take a lot to lower the oxygen level. So after a longer exposure to even a low % can accumulate a high concentration of CO in your system.

robn says thanks.
  20. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    As was said.. the USAF doesnt use 18's. 15's 16's 22's and 35's r the primary air to air (and future) of the USAF

Also read in the air force times that pilots are beginning to refuse to fly the 22's, and taking out large life insurance policies until the problem is solved.
    http://rt.com/usa/news/force-air-f-22-wilson-731/

21. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    If we're strict, yes, USAF doesn't use them. F-18 (or sometimes referred as F/A-18) are usually deployed from aircraft carriers for air-2-air engagement and tactical bombing. These go under the US NAVY "flag".

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Which if you understand the organization of the US Military is a completely different branch and chain of command.

Also the 18 is not a true air to air fighter. The F/A designator alone shows that its a multirole aircraft. Currently the 15/16/22 are the main true air to air fighters in the entire us military component.

23. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    It's obviously due to the secret alien technology they've incorporated into the plane....

24. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    F/A-18 can engage into air-to-air combat if needed. Unlike F-117 or B-2 which are strictly ground bombers and would go down rather easily if cought by a fighter since they can't engage into air-to-air combate and they are also a bit slow and clumsy. Then again, F-22 sort of fills the gap between multirole fighters and bombers while still having stealth capability. And it looks damn cool a well.

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Oxygen problems far more likely in F-22 than other fighter jets

Crunching for Team TPU