• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NAS Backups

Do you backup your NAS and how?

• No

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Yes, to external HDD

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Yes, other

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
System Name IONE
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B550-A Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Memory 128GB (4x32GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-25600 (3200), CMK128GX4M4E3200C16
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3080 12GB
Storage Samsung 980 1TB NVMe (system), WD Black 1TB NVMe (temp), 16x Seagate IronWolf 10TB (RAID6 storage)
Display(s) Dell UP3017
Case Lian-Li PC-777B
Audio Device(s) Blue Sadie headphones
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech M510
Keyboard Keychron Q8, brass plate, Kailh Box Summer switches and PBT Cherry keycaps
Software Xubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores N/A
Good thing people stopped doing hardware RAID a decade ago, with software RAID in Linux I can move all the disks to a different computer all together if required.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
If one of the drives fails and you have to rebuild, be prepared for an extremely long wait and the possibility that the rebuild fails thus losing all of your data.
I recently built a NAS and was initially looking at some form of RAID, everything I found said that RAID is a bad idea for larger drives. especially if you don't have backups!

I've rebuilt arrays with 6TB disks before, it really doesn't take that long, and a rebuild failing doesn't result in all the data on the array being lost. The array just goes back to a degraded state.

I always see people making statement like that that have never actually done it.

There are better methods of having reliable parity, other than raid

At the end of the day, parity is parity. ZFS or unRAID is not any better than a dedicated hardware RAID controller. A drive failure still results in a rebuild pretty much the same as with a RAID5/6.

Filesystems like ZFS or unRAID work better for larger disks. They will, generally, use less disks and allow you to keep your backups on the spare disks you have left over.

This statement literally makes no sense. ZFS's parity is either 1 disk or 2 disk, just like RAID5/6. It uses the same number of drives and gives the same amount of storage space.

Good thing people stopped doing hardware RAID a decade ago, with software RAID in Linux I can move all the disks to a different computer all together if required.

I can do that with my hardware RAID. Hell, I can even move it from a Windows computer to a Linux computer if I wanted...

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758

And how often do you scrub that array?

I've rebuilt arrays with 6TB disks before, it really doesn't take that long, and a rebuild failing doesn't result in all the data on the array being lost. The array just goes back to a degraded state.

I always see people making statement like that that have never actually done it.

At the end of the day, parity is parity. ZFS or unRAID is not any better than a dedicated hardware RAID controller. A drive failure still results in a rebuild pretty much the same as with a RAID5/6.

This statement literally makes no sense. ZFS's parity is either 1 disk or 2 disk, just like RAID5/6. It uses the same number of drives and gives the same amount of storage space.

I can do that with my hardware RAID. Hell, I can even move it from a Windows computer to a Linux computer if I wanted...

I am by no means an expert, but literally everything I have read says to stay the hell away from raid when working with large disks and that RAID is not a backup solution. I guess it not being backup isn't important for data that isn't critical, but if it is, by having your disks in RAID rather than as a backup, you might be lulling yourself into a false sense of security regarding the redundancy of that data.

Here's some info on Raid 6 rebuild times: https://serverfault.com/questions/967930/raid-5-6-rebuild-time-calculation

Whilst it's pretty reliable, the rebuild times, when looking at arrays over 50Tb, are pretty insane. If you don't mind putting your array out of commission while it rebuilds, I guess it's a fine solution. I just read about lots of people moving away from all forms of RAID.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I am by no means an expert, but literally everything I have read says to stay the hell away from raid when working with large disks and that RAID is not a backup solution. I guess it not being backup isn't important for data that isn't critical, but if it is, by having your disks in RAID rather than as a backup, you might be lulling yourself into a false sense of security regarding the redundancy of that data.

If anything you read didn't tell you to keep backups for anything on the RAID, because RAID isn't a backup, then they were full of crap. But nothing I've read from any reputable source says to avoid RAID.

Here's some info on Raid 6 rebuild times: https://serverfault.com/questions/967930/raid-5-6-rebuild-time-calculation

Whilst it's pretty reliable, the rebuild times, when looking at arrays over 50Tb, are pretty insane. If you don't mind putting your array out of commission while it rebuilds, I guess it's a fine solution. I just read about lots of people moving away from all forms of RAID.

Random forum posts aren't reliable sources. Yes, I recognize the irony in saying this.

The rebuild times with ZFS or unRAID parity is just as bad as a hardware RAID. I've used them all, there really isn't a huge difference between RAID5/6 and ZFS parity, ZFS is just a software form of it. And note that ZFS is not redundant, like RAID5/6, just by default. You have to specifically enable parity(it's actually called Z-RAID) before the storage pool will become redundant.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "if you don't mind putting your array out of commission while it rebuilds". The array is completely usable during a rebuild, or a OCE or ORLM. And most NAS devices still use RAID, it's the industry standard for redundancy.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
If anything you read didn't tell you to keep backups for anything on the RAID, because RAID isn't a backup, then they were full of crap. But nothing I've read from any reputable source says to avoid RAID.

Random forum posts aren't reliable sources. Yes, I recognize the irony in saying this.

The rebuild times with ZFS or unRAID parity is just as bad as a hardware RAID. I've used them all, there really isn't a huge difference between RAID5/6 and ZFS parity, ZFS is just a software form of it. And note that ZFS is not redundant, like RAID5/6, just by default. You have to specifically enable parity(it's actually called Z-RAID) before the storage pool will become redundant.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "if you don't mind putting your array out of commission while it rebuilds". The array is completely usable during a rebuild, or a OCE or ORLM. And most NAS devices still use RAID, it's the industry standard for redundancy.

When the disk is rebuilding there is meant to be a huge amount of overhead slowing all access to your system or putting it out of commission for the duration of the rebuild.
Here's a (non-forum) article about the death of raid 6 in enterprises https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-6-stops-working-in-2019/

System Name IONE
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B550-A Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Memory 128GB (4x32GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-25600 (3200), CMK128GX4M4E3200C16
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3080 12GB
Storage Samsung 980 1TB NVMe (system), WD Black 1TB NVMe (temp), 16x Seagate IronWolf 10TB (RAID6 storage)
Display(s) Dell UP3017
Case Lian-Li PC-777B
Audio Device(s) Blue Sadie headphones
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech M510
Keyboard Keychron Q8, brass plate, Kailh Box Summer switches and PBT Cherry keycaps
Software Xubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores N/A
And how often do you scrub that array?
Slightly more often then my previous arrays which was 0 times in 10 years.

Out of curiosity to see how long a scrub would take I did one the other day, it took 14h. If I'm bored enough I might do it again in 2020.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
When the disk is rebuilding there is meant to be a huge amount of overhead slowing all access to your system or putting it out of commission for the duration of the rebuild.
Here's a (non-forum) article about the death of raid 6 in enterprises https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-6-stops-working-in-2019/

The person writing that article doesn't seem to understand how RAID works or has never used one...

And URE doesn't stop the rebuild. In fact, modern controllers(and a lot of not so modern controllers) have options specifically to address errors on rebuild. All of mine by default just continue to rebuild. The URE will cause whatever data the read error happened on to be corrupt, but the entire array is not lost. And that's why you have backups. Any corrupt data can be restored from the backup.

As for huge overhead while rebuilding, yes there is. And yes the array is slower, but still usable and definitely not out of commission during the rebuild.

Processor Ryzen 5900X OC 5150Mhz
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling Custom EKWB for CPU, VRM's & GPU with 2x 480mm Rads
Memory Gskill TridentZ 3600 Mhz C17
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB x 2 Raid0
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG272CQR 27 1440p x2
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) onboard 7.1 HD Audio
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1300w PSU
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores R20 : 9329 Timespy: 21455
I let my NAS back itself up with a mirrored Raid.

If it is still within the NAS that's not a backup, that's a redundancy. :D:p

My backup system for my main data

NAS Drive for on site storage & back up of PC documents
- Google Drive for Backup1
- AWS for Backup2

90 day data retention on all files.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
If it is still within the NAS that's not a backup, that's a redundancy. :D:p

True, but considering at home, all I'm worried about is hard drive failure, it works as "backup" for me :). I don't backup my main PC, as all I use it for is gaming, photo editing, browsing, nothing critical. The critical data (taxes, a very few docs) on my server is all double backed on the cloud. The photos are my main concern for "data retention", and the worst that could happen to me there is a drive failure. hence, redundancy equals one more level of backup for me :)

Processor Ryzen 5900X OC 5150Mhz
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling Custom EKWB for CPU, VRM's & GPU with 2x 480mm Rads
Memory Gskill TridentZ 3600 Mhz C17
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB x 2 Raid0
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG272CQR 27 1440p x2
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) onboard 7.1 HD Audio
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1300w PSU
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores R20 : 9329 Timespy: 21455
True, but considering at home, all I'm worried about is hard drive failure, it works as "backup" for me :). I don't backup my main PC, as all I use it for is gaming, photo editing, browsing, nothing critical. The critical data (taxes, a very few docs) on my server is all double backed on the cloud. The photos are my main concern for "data retention", and the worst that could happen to me there is a drive failure. hence, redundancy equals one more level of backup for me :)

House could burn down.... that's worse than drive failure, but I get what your saying bro ;-)