• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NAS + Cloud?

System Name ASUS ROG Zephrus M15
Processor AMD Rhyzen 7 4800HS
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) Geforce RTX 2060
Storage 1TB
So I will be getting a NAS soon and was curious if cloud services would be a good/safe option for an offsite backup? Since we all know NAS/Raid is not a secure backup, as far as making sure you dont lose everything.

• Plain old Crashplan for ~$50/year will back up anything and seems to be popular with a lot of people
  • Google Drive on a business account--$10/mo normally, but can be found for quite a bit less

In this day an age I just have a lot of issues with companies wanting to keep my data. I dont really trust them with it ..

Thoughts?

We gave up our NAS (after 6 years) for a simpler "pair of drives" in my man box.

Set it up and RAID 1, but one of the drives would occasionally go on vacation. So broke the array and just mirror the drive with a backup utility twice a day. At the end of the day, it also backs up to a drive in a docking station. Two drives alternate ... one comes back and another leaves each day.

I agree with your concerns, all my data is proprietary and copyrighted. It also includes "sensitive client data" ... I dont want that in any 3rd party's hands.

Memory 16GB
Storage 1TB
We gave up our NAS (after 6 years) for a simpler "pair of drives" in my man box.

Set it up and RAID 1, but one of the drives would occasionally go on vacation. So broke the array and just mirror the drive with a backup utility twice a day. At the end of the day, it also backs up to a drive in a docking station. Two drives alternate ... one comes back and another leaves each day.

I agree with your concerns, all my data is proprietary and copyrighted. It also includes "sensitive client data" ... I dont want that in any 3rd party's hands.

Why did you give up the NAS option? Too many failures or what? I’ve debated just having a couple extra drives in a docking station that rotate backing up like every other day/week or so. However, the appeal of being able to lose one drive and not lose data is great to me. Plus the NAS would replace a big pc Lenovo Xeon server I have now. It takes up a lot of room under my desk too and the NAS I could stick in a closet or on my desk and it would look kinda cool too.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Depends on how much data. I have about 8 Tb and a on line back up just isn't practical. I just use a cold back up from my NAS. What NAS you getting?

Memory 16GB
Storage 1TB
Depends on how much data. I have about 8 Tb and a on line back up just isn't practical. I just use a cold back up from my NAS. What NAS you getting?

I’m deciding between synology DS918+ and the DS1618+