• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NASA Announces Results of Epic Space-Time Experiment

System Name TheBruise
Processor i7-960
Motherboard Gigabyte x58A -Ud5
Cooling Vantage ALC push pull/2x180mm fans/1x120mm silverstone
Memory 12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) 2 Sapphire Vapor-X 5870's in Xfire
Storage Ocz Vertex 3 Max Iops (OS) 300GB Velociraptor, 750 GB WD Black
Display(s) Asus 23" VS238H-P
Case Silverstone Ft01-BW Fortress
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX-850
Software W7pro SP1
NASA gave us Tang, they're alright in my book just for that..

T

twilyth

I recently read about a paper that says that there is no time dimension to space time since time doesn't actually exist - a belief I've held since . . . well, forever really.

They say that space is indeed 4D, it's just not the 4D's that Einstein gave us. Not sure that really makes much of a difference though. It was a pretty dense article and I can't say I ever got the point they were trying to make.

Anyway, I sort of get the idea of space being curved on some higher dimensional level. The thing I have a problem with is frame-dragging (what they proved is happening here). If someone could explain that to me in a non-mathematical but not overly simplified way, I'd be grateful. :) :) :)

W

wahdangun

I don't think anyone is suggesting that NASA is not good, and exploration is good for humanity. However, the discussion was about removing money from one part of the federal budget to another. Explicitly, taking money out of the Defense budget and adding it to NASA's budget.

And what exactly did the moon landing give us aside for a hollow victory against the Soviet Union. The only reason we were able to go to the moon and make those great leaps into space during the 60's was because NASA's budget at the time was around %4 of the federal budget, currently NASA's budget is around %.6 so we would have to increase NASA's budget by over %600 to get back to where we were in the 60's.

what are you crazy. Moon landing is the most important thing that america can achieve it make you america a head start to the race to exploit rare material on the moon, if you don't take that advantage it will be super dumb, you will be left out in the dust by china, europe, and even india. They all have started the RnD to go to the moon, hell even china increasing their budget to speed up their development.

btw if you want to increasing the nasa budget there are simple way, GET YOUR ASS OUT FROM IRAQ AND LIBIYA, if you want to make better world then nuke all that stupid pirate in somalia.

And one more thing there is cheaper way to do space exploration in the 70's, just search project orion if you want to know about it.

W

wahdangun

I recently read about a paper that says that there is no time dimension to space time since time doesn't actually exist - a belief I've held since . . . well, forever really.

They say that space is indeed 4D, it's just not the 4D's that Einstein gave us. Not sure that really makes much of a difference though. It was a pretty dense article and I can't say I ever got the point they were trying to make.

Anyway, I sort of get the idea of space being curved on some higher dimensional level. The thing I have a problem with is frame-dragging (what they proved is happening here). If someone could explain that to me in a non-mathematical but not overly simplified way, I'd be grateful. :) :) :)

yes time is the 4th dimension, just like our movement in 3d space that are relative to each other.
example:
when a bird walking around you then that bird travel in 2d, but when the bird fly to evade you then it was travel in 3d space. Same as time, imagine you want to in to the future, so you go to the blackhole, because the mass is so immense it create gravity that so powerfull it can bend space and time, and make the time slower in that place, so when you got out from it you are basically travel in time to the future, because let say, 1minute in blackhole equall 100 years out site, so when you 10 minute in there then you go out, to the earth the time have passed for 1000 years. So the conclusion is you basically have travel to future 1000 years relative to earth time

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
yes time is the 4th dimension, just like our movement in 3d space that are relative to each other.
example:
when a bird walking around you then that bird travel in 2d, but when the bird fly to evade you then it was travel in 3d space. Same as time, imagine you want to in to the future, so you go to the blackhole, because the mass is so immense it create gravity that so powerfull it can bend space and time, and make the time slower in that place, so when you got out from it you are basically travel in time to the future, because let say, 1minute in blackhole equall 100 years out site, so when you 10 minute in there then you go out, to the earth the time have passed for 1000 years. So the conclusion is you basically have travel to future 1000 years relative to earth time

The gravity that a black hole has is so immense that the person you mentioned would be crushed long before interring the black hole, from our perspective, that is.

There's an episode of Stargate SG1 that talks about this (S2-Ep16): it's obviously fictional but the "time differences" within the show explain what i mean.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
The gravity that a black hole has is so immense that the person you mentioned would be crushed long before interring the black hole, from our perspective, that is.

There's an episode of Stargate SG1 that talks about this (S2-Ep16): it's obviously fictional but the "time differences" within the show explain what i mean.

it depends on the size of the black hole. a large enough one could suck you
in whole, though most would stretch you out like a piece of spaghetti.

stargate was one of the more accurate shows in regards to the actual science
it portrayed, and probably why i loved it so much :) just re-watched the entire
series these past few weeks

but yeah, it depends on the perspective of the viewer of course, but a large
enough hole could theoretically suck in a whole person.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
it depends on the size of the black hole. a large enough one could suck you
in whole, though most would stretch you out like a piece of spaghetti.

stargate was one of the more accurate shows in regards to the actual science
it portrayed
, and probably why i loved it so much :) just re-watched the entire
series these past few weeks

but yeah, it depends on the perspective of the viewer of course, but a large
enough hole could theoretically suck in a whole person.

That's what i'm assuming though i could be wrong.

Recently, i watched an episode of "How the Universe Works" and it was talking about moons. What this episode has in common with black holes is that it was mentioning that Jupiter once had more then 200 moons but some were too close to the planet they were literally crushed by it's gravity.

The same show mentioned NASA sent a "probe" (???) literally into Jupiter: it went roughly 64 Kms inside Jupiter before it was crushed by it's gravity. Jupiter's gravity is so immense it's felt all the way to Saturn.

System Name Battle Station
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix x570-I
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 240
Memory Crucial DDR4-3200 32 GB
Video Card(s) 1 x Gigabyte RTX 4090
Storage Adata 1Tb NVME
Display(s) Samsung G9 Odyssey
Case Hyte Y60
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX + Ultrasone Pro 900 + JBL SLR 308 speakers and SLR 310 subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair SFX 750W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard The rabbit hole of custom mechanical keyboards
Software Window 10 Ultimate x64
i entirely disagree. the pie below shows spending:
http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?...=p3&chl=2010 NASA budget|2010 Military budget

we need to STOP trying to police the world, and find ourselves a way to space. our planet will NOT last forever, and every generation we sit here brings us closer to extinction.

the most important thing the human race could EVER do for itself, is come together well enough to make our way into space.

"Focus on space, the Untied States of Space...because I am not stopping at the moon. Write this down M.A.R.S, Mars bitches. That's where we are going. Red Rock, yay yay!" :laugh:

Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
That's what i'm assuming though i could be wrong.

Recently, i watched an episode of "How the Universe Works" and it was talking about moons. What this episode has in common with black holes is that it was mentioning that Jupiter once had more then 200 moons but some were too close to the planet they were literally crushed by it's gravity.

The same show mentioned NASA sent a "probe" (???) literally into Jupiter: it went roughly 64 Kms inside Jupiter before it was crushed by it's gravity. Jupiter's gravity is so immense it's felt all the way to Saturn.

well obviously there was plenty of impossible/unknown things, it's a sci-fi show. but they
really put effort into properly explaining theories (as simple as possible albeit) , and
adding real science to their plots. that's so rare nowadays with "syfy" crahp.

now nasa is trying to figure out how to withstand the gravity, so they can maybe find
out what all is down there. i love watching the docs where they build the probes and stuff, super interesting.

"Focus on space, the Untied States of Space...because I am not stopping at the moon. Write this down M.A.R.S, Mars bitches. That's where we are going. Red Rock, yay yay!" :laugh:

what is that from?

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
Because the cost of exploring space is prohibitive and until we find a way to make some money off of it there will be no incentive to explore. For the most part I think the only way we can continue exploring into space is by removing it from being a government sponsored undertaking and push the cost into the private sector. Surely if there is money to made in a galaxy far far away, it will be done.
So the only motivation to do anything in life is money? I disagree.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
well obviously there was plenty of impossible/unknown things, it's a sci-fi show. but they
really put effort into properly explaining theories (as simple as possible albeit) , and
adding real science to their plots. that's so rare nowadays with "syfy" crahp.

now nasa is trying to figure out how to withstand the gravity, so they can maybe find
out what all is down there.
i love watching the docs where they build the probes and stuff, super interesting.

what is that from?

That same show i mentioned (How the Universe Works) said Jupiter is a gas planet and so is Saturn. That small detail wasn't mentioned when i learned the planets while @ school.

That same show i mentioned (How the Universe Works) said Jupiter is a gas planet and so is Saturn. That small detail wasn't mentioned when i learned the planets while @ school.

i know, the gas part was there but not the understanding that that potentially (likely)
is all the planet is made from.

i mean seriously, that size and immense force - made from gas.

the universe is simply awe-inspiring :)

Processor C2D E8400@3.9GHz (488x8, 1.4v :( )
Motherboard Abit IP35-E
Cooling Thermaltake Sonic Tower+120mm fan
Memory 2GB kingmax ddr1066@976MHz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Radeon X1800GTO @700/1400MHz with Accelero S1+Glacialtech fancard
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 793s... just you laugh...
Case some Aplus case
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC888
Power Supply Chieftec 450W
Software Win7 x64
There are so many things that NASA is indirectly responsible for that I cant even name them all. Hell, I challenge you to find something that NASA ISN'T indirectly responsible for in today's society. The moon landing fiasco furthered human knowledge/technology more than any project in history.

i haven't gone thru the rest of the thread after reading this post so i may be a lil off topic, but:

if there wasn't NASA, you wouldn't have VELCRO bitchez!

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
NASA gave us Tang, they're alright in my book just for that..
if there wasn't NASA, you wouldn't have VELCRO bitchez!
Straight from NASA:

"Tang, Teflon, and Velcro, are not spinoffs of the Space Program. General Foods developed Tang in 1957, and it has been on supermarket shelves since 1959. In 1962, when astronaut John Glenn performed eating experiments in orbit, Tang was selected for the menu, launching the powdered drink’s heightened public awareness. NASA also raised the celebrity status of Teflon, a material invented for DuPont in 1938, when the Agency applied it to heat shields, space suits, and cargo hold liners. Velcro was used during the Apollo missions to anchor equipment for astronauts’ convenience in zero gravity situations. Although it is a Swiss invention from the 1940s, it has since been associated with the Space Program."

Source: NASA Spinoff FAQ

W

wahdangun

actually if we can invent antigravity device then it won't matter at all, we can even go back in time through wormhole with that device

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
actually if we can invent antigravity device then it won't matter at all, we can even go back in time through wormhole with that device

Don't think so, dude: if you were in a chamber with so-called anti-gravity, you would be OK for as long as the chamber functioned as it should but the chamber itself would be crushed and, therefore, so would you.

EDIT

Oooops: double post.

Last edited:
W

wahdangun

Don't think so, dude: if you were in a chamber with so-called anti-gravity, you would be OK for as long as the chamber functioned as it should but the chamber itself would be crushed and, therefore, so would you.

EDIT

Oooops: double post.

don't think so dude lol.

its because if we can generate it past the chamber then it won't matter at all, tough it will difficult to propel the vehicle inside antigravity

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
The defense budget is extremely high, but with that budget there is a lot of money being made. Contracts to design and build the weapons which we use to make war, the United States Defense budget creates jobs and helps maintain an entire industry, more so than the exploration of space does.

Protip: if you stopped spending money on guns, you could develop other industries.
( For example, thousands of jobs in hospitals if you spend the money on health care, thousands of engineering jobs if you spent more on space, 1000s of teaching jobs if you developed schools etc)

What you said is what a politician would say, technically correct. But doest''t mean it's the be all and end all.

Or hell! go nuts, and invest the money into developing a society were people are not required to work ( I.E working their whole life to have a home) but choose to work so they can have nice things.

I.E Tax the hell out of tvs etc Make housing, education and food(not chocolate and other crap) cheap as hell, maybe even free.

But why would any government ever do that eh? Better to have a work force you can rely on isn't it? he he

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I see that this thread quickly went from science to politics.
We expected that in this new section, HOWEVER, keep the discussion civil and if you are going to make sweeping political statements on the status of funding of various scientific endeavors ... post sources and try to base your posts on something at least marginally verifyable.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, just getting you all to learn how to take responsibility for your posts.
Thanks guys. Carry on.

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775
Memory 4GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) ASUS HD4850 TOP
Storage Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Dual 1280x1024
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Antec NeoPower 550
++++++

how could science and exploring space NOT be considered the most important thing humans could ever do.

i just don't get it.

I agree entirely. Unfortunately, TPU is not the American government. (W1zzard, you want to run for president?) I think we need to focus on humanity as a species and work together to really explore and better ourselves. We have so much potential that is wasted bickering with and sometimes killing each other that could be used to make incredibly fast progress in fields like space travel, astrophysical research, etc.

The intelligent people of the world just need to band together, form a organization or such, and we could accomplish so much. With the Internet, I think that could very well be possible.

W

wahdangun

if just america didn't scrap project orion in the 70's we will already go to mars right now

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775
Memory 4GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) ASUS HD4850 TOP
Storage Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Dual 1280x1024
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Antec NeoPower 550
if just america didn't scrap project orion in the 70's we will already go to mars right now

Who knows if Project Orion would work, though, and if it did, it probably would be rather inefficient for long-term propulsion.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
I don't think this thread is supposed to be about the American economy and what/where we should be, according to everyone with an opinion.. We should get back on topic.

I think the study seems very thorough and I take Einsteins word over any forum members any day..lol.. No matter how big of a nerd u think you are, your no Einstein. So when people on a forum try to counter predict a geniuses theories, I can't help but chuckle.
Building/overclocking and programming pc's are nothing compared to physics and quantum physics.
Einstein is still kickin ass, even from the grave.. nice.. :)

Last edited:
System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
I don't think this thread is supposed to be about the American economy and what/where we should be, according to everyone with an opinion.. We should get back on topic.

I think the study seems very thorough and I take Einsteins word over any forum members any day..lol.. No matter how big of a nerd u think you are, your no Einstein. So when people on a forum try to counter predict a geniuses theories, I can't help but chuckle.
Building/overclocking and programming pc's are nothing compared to physics and quantum physics.
Einstein is still kickin ass, even from the grave.. nice.. :)

i hear what your saying, but just because this community is dedicated to computer technologies doesn't mean there aren't any of us with respectable knowledge in other areas, including physics.

OT: This is all very intriguing, but um....so basically this entire project was to further prove something that everyone or almost everyone, had accepted? I guess to me, this isn't exactly huge. If it was some phenominal discovery that proved or supported the idea of something that had long been thought far-fetched, then it'd be epic. Though i could see how it could be considered epic bc of the tech they invented lol