• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NASA reveals it will make a 'major' alien-hunting announcement on Thursday

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Very few details have been revealed about the briefing this week, which will take place via teleconference on at 1:00pm ET (6:00pm GMT).

However, Nasa says the news will focus on work done by its Kepler planet hunting telescope which has been working with Googles AI system to find potentially-habitable worlds.
The Kepler mission has spotted thousands of exoplanets since 2014, with 21 Earth-sized planets now known to orbit within the habitable zones of their stars.
The briefing is likely to reveals the telescope's latest catalogue, which is set to be Nasa's best look yet at possible alien planets.

1513036239434.png

The teleconference on December 14, and will be live-streamed on Nasa's website.

How many exoplanets has Kepler discovered?
Kepler mission:
K2 mission:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Lemme see, they're gonna say that there really are aliens on Mars and that they're green and little? :laugh:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
After watching Life movie, I believe they are grey murderous squids.

Yeah and those scientists had major protocol issues that made the premise glaringly weak. "Oh look, I'm fondling a small reactive life form - how cute, oh god it's killing me!"

Hehe :) That's our fault. We tend to forget about protocols when we get too excited. Finding squids on mars sure would be an exciting thing :)

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Yeah and those scientists had major protocol issues that made the premise glaringly weak. "Oh look, I'm fondling a small reactive life form - how cute, oh god it's killing me!"
That reminded me of a really really ancient film called 'The Blob', this red goey alien emerges from an asteroid and proceeds to digest everyone it touches lol.
I wonder if the news will be telling people not to panic :p

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
We're spotting all these planets and no way of reaching them :(
Why so negative? There's always a way, we just need to figure it out, that's all :p

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
and in the "" :) News Elsewhere :)""
Huge object passing Earth 'could be alien spacecraft from another part of galaxy', say scientists

A huge object passing by Earth could be an alien spacecraft, scientists have said.
The bizarre cigar-shaped entity was previously thought to be an interstellar asteroid which had come from another part of the galaxy.
But evidence has been mounting which has led experts to suggest it could actually be a sign of intelligent life.
The object is hundreds of metres in length but only one tenth as wide which is highly unusual for a typical space rock, scientists have said

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/tech...ntists/ar-BBGCPom?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
Wait. They are going alien hunting? Did they build special space guns or are they using standard hunting rifles?

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Huge object passing Earth 'could be alien spacecraft from another part of galaxy', say scientists

A huge object passing by Earth could be an alien spacecraft, scientists have said.
The bizarre cigar-shaped entity was previously thought to be an interstellar asteroid which had come from another part of the galaxy.
But evidence has been mounting which has led experts to suggest it could actually be a sign of intelligent life.
The object is hundreds of metres in length but only one tenth as wide which is highly unusual for a typical space rock, scientists have said

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/tech...ntists/ar-BBGCPom?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout
Couple that with: https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/spacex-has-a-momentous-launch-this-week/
and it becomes clear it was the Vulkans.

To be fair, the law of probabilities are in favor of life abounding in the Universe, our galaxy and even our 100ly radius neighborhood of stars. I would not be at all surprised by such an announcement.

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
To be fair, the law of probabilities are in favor of life abounding in the Universe, our galaxy and even our 100ly radius neighborhood of stars. I would not be at all surprised but such an announcement.
Depends on the definition of "life" and "abound". The universe is mostly empty/filled with dark matter, so it doesn't abound in anything we know as "matter" anyway.
It also depends on life giving a rat's ass about probabilities ;)

Depends on the definition of "life" and "abound". The universe is mostly empty/filled with dark matter, so it doesn't abound in anything we know as "matter" anyway.
Dark energy/matter isn't actually dark. It is simply unobservable by us, ATM.
Back on topic, the chemistry of life on just this planet alone is very diverse. Science has postulated that life can also be based on metals and silicates.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Dark energy/matter isn't actually dark. It is simply unobservable by us, ATM.
Back on topic, the chemistry of life on just this planet alone is very diverse. Science has postulated that life can also be based on metals and silicates.
I wasn't implying it was dark, I was implying whatever might live in there probably doesn't fit into our definition of life. Plus it may not matter (pun), because the possibility of dark matter actually being impossible to interact with using forces other than gravity has never been ruled out.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Researchers have found a new type of microbe that can survive on air alone - and say it could change the way we hunt for alien life.
The microbe can scavenge hydrogen, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide from the air to stay alive in extreme conditions.
It is the first time the behaviour has been seen

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature25014

I wasn't implying it was dark, I was implying whatever might live in there probably doesn't fit into our definition of life. Plus it may not matter (pun), because the possibility of dark matter actually being impossible to interact with using forces other than gravity has never been ruled out.
Sorry, that wasn't meant to offend. Nice pun. :laugh:
Researchers have found a new type of microbe that can survive on air alone - and say it could change the way we hunt for alien life.
The microbe can scavenge hydrogen, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide from the air to stay alive in extreme conditions.
It is the first time the behaviour has been seen

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature25014
Exactly. Life abounds in the most extreme areas of our world. To say that we will never find life outside our planet is silly. Likewise, to say that we are the first and/or only intelligent life would be arrogant and ignorant beyond all logic and reason. I personally don't think we're the first and certainly not alone.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Sorry, that wasn't meant to offend. Nice pun. :laugh:

I wasn't offended. It just looked like I wasn't clear enough and I thought I gave a second shot, that's all ;)

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
NASA's Kepler space telescope has discovered an eighth planet in a distant star system called Kepler 90 - the first time a faraway star has been found to have the same number of planets orbiting it as our own sun.
Although the solar system, Kepler 90, is not new, the eighth planet, Kepler 90i, was found using AI software in a groundbreaking project between Google and NASA.
The discovery of a system identical to our own raises hopes of finding alien life.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...-discover-eighth-planet-circling-distant-star

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
NASA's Kepler space telescope has discovered an eighth planet in a distant star system called Kepler 90 - the first time a faraway star has been found to have the same number of planets orbiting it as our own sun.
Although the solar system, Kepler 90, is not new, the eighth planet, Kepler 90i, was found using AI software in a groundbreaking project between Google and NASA.
The discovery of a system identical to our own raises hopes of finding alien life.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...-discover-eighth-planet-circling-distant-star

That was the first thing that popped into my head. I've read through a couple of books about SSP (Secret Space Program) and it's been made clear in both books that humans already possess the crafts and technology for these kind of "cigar" shaped ships.

I don't know if I believe everything in these books, but some of it certainly seems plausible. They're an interesting read if anyone finds this stuff about the idea of space already being explored by man or government hiding knowledge about aliens.
Insiders Reveal Secret Space Programs & Extraterrestrial Alliances
The US Navy's Secret Space Program and Nordic Extraterrestrial Alliance

Last edited: