• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NDIS.sys causing serious latency problems

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
I know it's a networking thing, and everytime I open μtorrent it shoots latency up to well over 100,000 μs (sometimes 300k). I've looked around and supposedly restarting the Base Filtering Service is supposed to fix it (it does, but only after a couple of hundred tries).

Anybody know how to fix this shit?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
System Name Eldritch
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
You using nvidia's firewall or another like Mcaffe \ Norton ?. If so get rid of them even if it's not the problem anyways.

Although you might find your solution here
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/52935-network-usage-causes-high-dpc-latency-4.html

nVidia has a firewall? The only firewall I have is Windows firewall.

What NIC? Update driver.

You might want to limit connections for µTorrent.

I have a WMP600N Wireless-N PCI with dual-band or some crap. The connections on μTorrent are limited to 64. Would 32 help much?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
nVidia has a firewall? The only firewall I have is Windows firewall.

Yes, it was around with the nforce 4 mobo's and when i tried it was just a pain in the butt.

That link not help you ?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try LatencyMon to narrow down the problem.
Read this How to Use.

Quote from the How to Use page(it speaks of audio, however, it would apply to anything causing high latency):
High DPC or ISR routine execution times: how to proceed

If LatencyMon reports the DPC and ISR execution times to be too high, you should take a look at the responsible drivers. It may be that these drivers belong to a device that is non-critical for the operation of your computer. If for example tcpip.sys or ndis.sys is reported as the culprit, chances are the problems are caused by your wireless network adapter, if you have one. You could consider disabling the WiFi adapter and receive internet via an Ethernet cable. You can disable devices by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Device Manager, right-clicking a device and selecting disable. You should run LatencyMon again to check if the situation has improved, there might still be another device or driver causing audio latencies.

Note that if high latencies have been reported to be caused by drivers which are critical for the operation of your computer such as motherboard drivers, there may be nothing you can do to get your computer suitable for processing real time audio.

I use this^ and DPC to assist in troubleshooting latency problems. Plus, a little T&E.;)

Also try this; in the windows advance power management; set the wireless adapter setting to Maximum Performance and set the PCI Express Link State Power Management to off.

In Device Manager or your wireless devices configuration utility... turn off any Power management.

Make sure your audio, video, network device, and systems drivers are up to date.
:)

Last edited:
System Name Eldritch
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
Yes, it was around with the nforce 4 mobo's and when i tried it was just a pain in the butt.

That link not help you ?

Nah, some crap about nVidia powermizer and I'm on a PC so I have no such crap.

@viper:
I already have latency checkers and whatnot (that's how I know it's NDIS), and I already updated my drivers and power stuff.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
@viper:
I already have latency checkers and whatnot (that's how I know it's NDIS), and I already updated my drivers and power stuff.

Oh, ok, I did not know.

However, don't put the blame on NDIS.sys, as, it could be the innocent bystander waiting for the light to turn green to cross the road, so to say.

It probably is waiting for another driver to release the needed resources.

Quote from the LatencyMon site:
If for example tcpip.sys or ndis.sys is reported as the culprit, chances are the problems are caused by your wireless network adapter, if you have one.

Plus, a little T&E.
And, you will have to try a little Trial and Error troubleshooting.

One thing to do is connect directly (hard wire) and not through the wireless(disable it), if that is what you are using... then test... same for the sound card, usb devices, etc.

Also, if you have the option in your bios, you may want to check/set/adjust the pci latency timers to 64 or 128 or whatever; then test... not all bioses have this option and I don't know if the PCI Latency tool works with Windows 7.
After elimination of all possibilities, it still has the latency problem; then, you may have to wait for a fix from the device or system bios updates.

Goodluck :)

Last edited:

raboof1

Hi all,

I joined this group specifically to post a solution that worked for me.

First off, brief specs:
SAGER NP5973 laptop
Win7 32-bit with 4GB RAM (patched PAE kernel for 4GB memory access)
NVIDIA Quadro FX1600M
Intel 4965 AGN wireless adapter

I recently experienced a change in CPU behavior --> running at about 10-15% when IDLE. It turned out to be a high latency issue as detected by LatencyMon, which pointed to NDIS.SYS as the problem.

Long story short - I updated ALL hardware drivers, tried all Googled tricks and got NO result. The only thing that had any effect was to disable the AGN adapter --> then the CPU would drop back to "normal (0 to 1% at IDLE).

Solution: I remembered that I recently updated the NVIDIA drivers for my system. I was running Quadro drivers v195.62 and had upgraded to v311.35. I uninstalled the new driver and ran the Standard VGA adapter -> CPU went to normal (0 to 1% at IDLE). I re-installed the new NVIDIA driver (driver ONLY) and CPU went up to 15% at IDLE! I then re-installed the OLDER v195.62 NVIDIA driver and all went back to normal (0 to 1% at IDLE) ! I don't know why but in *my* case, although things pointed at the AGN drivers as being the problem, it was the combination with the new NVIDIA drivers that was truly at fault.

Some additional notes:
- I am running the latest Intel drivers (Wireless.v15.3.1)
- my system has a built-in Realtek audio device. I found the best version of the HDAC drivers is R2.42 --> the latest version (R2.70) would cause a hang on install.

Hope this helps someone cause it wasted my whole day :banghead:

Cheers!
:toast:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Gripe at Intel for the stupid Wireless issue causing an unnecessary load on the machine

Hi all,

I joined this group specifically to post a solution that worked for me.

First off, brief specs:
SAGER NP5973 laptop
Win7 32-bit with 4GB RAM (patched PAE kernel for 4GB memory access)
NVIDIA Quadro FX1600M
Intel 4965 AGN wireless adapter

I recently experienced a change in CPU behavior --> running at about 10-15% when IDLE. It turned out to be a high latency issue as detected by LatencyMon, which pointed to NDIS.SYS as the problem.

Long story short - I updated ALL hardware drivers, tried all Googled tricks and got NO result. The only thing that had any effect was to disable the AGN adapter --> then the CPU would drop back to "normal (0 to 1% at IDLE).

Solution: I remembered that I recently updated the NVIDIA drivers for my system. I was running Quadro drivers v195.62 and had upgraded to v311.35. I uninstalled the new driver and ran the Standard VGA adapter -> CPU went to normal (0 to 1% at IDLE). I re-installed the new NVIDIA driver (driver ONLY) and CPU went up to 15% at IDLE! I then re-installed the OLDER v195.62 NVIDIA driver and all went back to normal (0 to 1% at IDLE) ! I don't know why but in *my* case, although things pointed at the AGN drivers as being the problem, it was the combination with the new NVIDIA drivers that was truly at fault.

Some additional notes:
- I am running the latest Intel drivers (Wireless.v15.3.1)
- my system has a built-in Realtek audio device. I found the best version of the HDAC drivers is R2.42 --> the latest version (R2.70) would cause a hang on install.

Hope this helps someone cause it wasted my whole day :banghead:

Cheers!
:toast: