• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need advice for a photo printer 200$ to a thousand. Buy local preferably.

System Name Asrock 2012
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
Motherboard ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3
Cooling Corsair H70 for CPU
Memory 64GB DDR3 1333mhz 16GBx4
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080 with stock fan
Storage 1TB GIGABYTE SSD NVME PCIE 2.0 + Samsung SSD Evo 850 250GB with Ubuntu + Samsung SSD 860 500GB win7
Display(s) LG HDR 31.5"
Case Big Black Tower
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply CORSAIR RM850X
Mouse wired chinese gaming mouse
Keyboard Microsoft ergonomic keyboard
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores +
I'm looking for a printer that can produce vivid realistic photo impressions from the screen to paper closely matching quality as possible.
mostly designs will be cliparts svg and raster designs on paper done in gimp krita and photoshop.

System Name X99-A
Processor 5930k
Motherboard X99-A
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory 32gigs
Video Card(s) 1050 Ti
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G
Software Wind 10 64bit
if so, then I would avoid ink , only laser/powder printer. it might help and narrow your choice.
from screen to paper not only depends on printer.

Processor i9-13900K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A chromax.Black
Memory 2 x 32GB (G Skill Ripjaws)
Video Card(s) NVidia Titan RTX
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Case Cooler master
Audio Device(s) on-board
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Wooting Two
Eee, no, laser printers are worse for photos, they have much smaller resolution and use less colors (typically 3 colors only)

Until jumping to far couple of questions you need to answer yourself:
1. What maximum size of paper you will be printing on?
2. How many pictures you will print? Speed of print and ink cost may become important.
3. Do you need water resistant pictures? In past most inks would smudge on contact with moisture, don't know if that changed.
4. Do you need long lasting ink, i.e., archiving quality so you can look at the picture 20 years from now and it still looks good?
5. Are you ok with printer only, or you want machine with scanner as well
6. Do you want network printer (Wi-Fi or whatever so you can print from multiple computers without having printer plugged to one that would have to be on for printing)

I would check something like Canon PIXMA PRO-100/PRO-10 or similar from other brands.

Laser printers are easier IMO, because you don't have to worry about ink drying out. Otherwise, everything Tom.699 says is quite accurate.

If you're doing SVG cliparts, I think Laser printers are more than sufficient. Laser printers are much better than they used to be. But if you want "photo quality", you need to go ink unfortunately.

I would check something like Canon PIXMA PRO-100/PRO-10 or similar from other brands.

Something like that is an 8-tone cartridge. Which means it will run out of ink sooner (8 different packs each are individually smaller than the 4-tones you typically get with a laser printer). Laser printers are also dithered and aren't as smooth. But for most figures and cartoons, I think laser printers are more than sufficient. It costs more to run that kind of ink. And ink also runs dry if you fail to use it within a certain time frame.

My personal preference is to have a laser printer at my home, and then to use a commercial printer whenever I need something photo quality. Laser is faster, cheaper (in the long run) and easier. Leave ink to the high-volume printers who actually will use all that ink before it dries out IMO.

----------

If you're doing a one-off project, use something like lulu.com (https://www.lulu.com/products), or find a local printer (virtually every city has a local graphics artist / printer available) to do your job. Maybe do small runs on a lower-quality, but cheaper, laser printer at your own leisure. But you really can't beat the quality of commercial printers.

I know my local drug store does photo-prints. https://www.cvs.com/photo/prints

Last edited:
Processor i9-13900K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A chromax.Black
Memory 2 x 32GB (G Skill Ripjaws)
Video Card(s) NVidia Titan RTX
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Case Cooler master
Audio Device(s) on-board
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Wooting Two
Sorry Houdini, you were right, my bad, I guess concentrated too much on "vivid realistic photo impressions" forgetting about "cliparts svg".

Miguel, if you not planning printing photos just graphics than I agree that laser is better and indeed easier to maintain (no need to worry if you don't print anything for few weeks), faster, and cheaper in long run.

System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
I would go with either Canon or Epson Pro.
Make sure you buy the calibrating software too, I think Color Monki or Sypdr (spelled?) can do both your monitor and printer.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
If you want something on the high end of inkjet - Canon Pro-10. I remember hearing good things about it when it comes to printing photos in both color and b&w.

As for laser, we had a Canon combo at my uni and it was decent. But that thing was huuuge and I wouldn't use it at home. Cartridges were around $80 per tone (C,M,Y) + $80 for black, lasted about 2000 pages+ of mixed use.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
When it comes to photos, ink jet wins. Google it. Ink jet wins. Lasers are great for text and casual photos. But the OP stipulated, "vivid realistic photo impressions". Not doing that with laser.

Plus I note the following stipulation (my bold underline added),
From the screen to paper closely matching quality as possible.
That clearly means you need a professional quality monitor that can be properly calibrated too. You cannot calibrate the printer until you calibrate your monitor. To get realistic printouts, what you see on the monitor MUST first match what you see in the viewfinder.
Sorry Houdini, you were right
No Tom. You were right. If you want professional quality photo printouts - as the OP apparently does, ease of use is not really a factor. And drying out is really a moot point too, unless you go for several weeks without printing. Printing a test page once a week will take care of that. Yes, ink does have a shelf life, but it is typically over a year once the cartridge is removed from the sealed wrapper. So that is not normally a problem either unless you rarely ever print. And if you don't print color documents every day, just don't stock up on years worth of ink. Buy new ink just before you are about to run out.

Houdini is right when it comes to the paper though. For your final print out, use top quality photo paper.

And I am not going to get drawn into yet another debate about genuine inks and 3rd party inks. I am going to say this and that's it - IMO, if you shop carefully, 3rd party inks work great for B&W text and casual every day photos suitable for most users and print jobs. But for "consistent" color accuracy, professional "realistic" quality photos, time after time, that can only be assured with genuine inks.

System Name BorgX79
Processor i7-3930k 6/12cores@4.4GHz
Motherboard Sabertoothx79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire R480 8GB
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Rosewill RK-1000
Software Win7x64
The best photo printers imho are dye sublimation.

IDK if they still sell them, but I have a small sony 4x6 printer that I love.

System Name Asrock 2012
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
Motherboard ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3
Cooling Corsair H70 for CPU
Memory 64GB DDR3 1333mhz 16GBx4
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080 with stock fan
Storage 1TB GIGABYTE SSD NVME PCIE 2.0 + Samsung SSD Evo 850 250GB with Ubuntu + Samsung SSD 860 500GB win7
Display(s) LG HDR 31.5"
Case Big Black Tower
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply CORSAIR RM850X
Mouse wired chinese gaming mouse
Keyboard Microsoft ergonomic keyboard
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores +
I need to print about 100 color graphics a day
speed not an issue,
it doesn't have to have a scanner
it doesn't have to be water resistant or long lasting
size of paper preferred 12x12 but if letter sized used is still ok.

I have a hp laser jet prints good color output but I need more resolution.

is the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 better than the canon pixma recommended? just saying cause it costs a thousand about doble the price. what model of epson pro are also recommended here? should I just buy the pixma? and does the pixma prints in cardstock paper?

also I read the pixmapro100 is not a production printer but does that mean it can or can't print 100 printouts daily for years.

Last edited: