• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need advice on a computer case I bought "new" from Fry's, but arrived USED... frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So I purchased this PC case for $54 free shipping direct from Fry's website, Corsair SPEC 04 (its in my specs under my name to the left). It arrived, can tell it has been used, Ryzen 3 and Vega sticker on the front under the Corsair emblem at bottom, about 3 cat hairs inside, missing two screws for the back cover, missing dust filter at top, fingerprint smudges on the glass. I knew something was up when it did not arrive wrapped in plastic, only the styrofoam.

Well 1.) already decided I am never buying from Fry's ever again, this is blatant case of re-selling a used item as new wrongly. 2.) I have never bought anything from Fry's before this, I just needed a cheap case and Newegg no longer offers free shipping on their PC cases (most of them). Does anyone know if I request a return will I be refunded the full $54 and be granted a free return shipping label? That being said, it's mostly mint condition. Just a bit fumed at the moment.

I took some cleaning solution and paper towel and cleaned it all up, I have some spare screws and a spare dust filter, so that is not the issue really and after clean up it is all mint basically. Just very frustrated, I need a case that has 3x 3.5" bays and plenty of room inside at a cheap price, and this was basically my only option since most cases these days only have 2x 3.5 inch slots internal. So I am leaning towards keeping it, just wondering if anyone here has some advice for me.

System Name Smooth-Operator
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16@CL14 DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+
Storage 2x4TB WD HGST 7K6 7200RPM 256MB
Display(s) Samsung S24E370DL 24" IPS Freesync 75Hz
Case Fractal Design Focus G Window Blue
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe x1
Power Supply Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
Software Windows 10 x64 Enterprise/Ubuntu Budgie amd64
If product was labeled as "new" but arrived in condition which clearly looks like "used" then do not wait any second more and demand from them exchange to something you ordered (new unit) or price difference refund.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
The first thing you should have done is taken pictures of how it arrived. I went through this with Newegg and they asked for pictures. The fact that serial numbers were sharpied out made me a little nervous.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The first thing you should have done is taken pictures of how it arrived. I went through this with Newegg and they asked for pictures. The fact that serial numbers were sharpied out made me a little nervous.

nah, if they want to fight me on it I will just let it go, it's in damn near mint condition now that I cleaned it up some, and I intended to clean it up anyway cause of the residue thats left over from the factories. it's only $54 if it was something more expensive I assure you i would have done pics galore, etc.

I'm just frustrated more than anything. really can't believe these companies get away with this crap. this is why we can never allow monopolies full control, even only 3-4 competitors isn't enough to keep it clean though. so eh I don't know

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
nah, if they want to fight me on it I will just let it go, it's in damn near mint condition now that I cleaned it up some, and I intended to clean it up anyway cause of the residue thats left over from the factories. it's only $54 if it was something more expensive I assure you i would have done pics galore, etc.

I'm just frustrated more than anything. really can't believe these companies get away with this crap. this is why we can never allow monopolies full control, even only 3-4 competitors isn't enough to keep it clean though. so eh I don't know

Then return it.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
If product was labeled as "new" but arrived in condition which clearly looks like "used" then do not wait any second more and demand from them exchange to something you ordered (new unit) or price difference refund.

I intend to call them tomorrow, but I'm going to be straight up with them, it's only a $54 item, so I am not super upset, just disappointed the industry has come to this, happened to me once at Newegg and Amazon as well a long long time ago, but this is the first time it has happened to me in a good two years. Just annoying is all. I could tell the PC had only been used for less than a few days though, it was completely dust free outside of the cat hairs.

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
I've read many times about situations where people are receiving from popular, trusted stores used items which were clearly advertised as new, fortunately this never happened to me, ever. Personally in such situation i would just use my two weeks return law just because shop wasn't fair towards me.

Recently i had pretty big fight with one of biggest local computer hardware stores and literally today i've returned to them x470 taichi ultimate and 2700x and now i'm waiting for full refund to show up on my bank account.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Then return it.

I want to but I can't find a replacement case that meets my requirements for under $60. mainly glass panel, and 3x 3.5" drive bays.

I've read many times about situations where people are receiving from popular, trusted stores used items which were clearly advertised as new, fortunately this never happened to me, ever. Personally in such situation i would just use my two weeks return law just because shop wasn't fair towards me.

Recently i had pretty big fight with one of biggest local computer hardware stores and literally today i've returned to them x470 taichi ultimate and 2700x and now i'm waiting for full refund to show up on my bank account.

yep, this is one reason I decided to buy my PC parts on their launch days recently, I know no one will have a used 3 fan RX 5700 XT for example, cause it's not for sale yet, will be shipped to me later this week brand new and I don't have to worry about this nonsense.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Should of left it how it is and contacted them, but acting not bothered about it is pointless getting in touch with them.

I wounder how many times a month they pull this off ?, so yeah i would of kepted it how it arraved and and made a deal out of it and as you say it was minor things and nothing to bad and got a small discount.

Just letting it be is why they do it.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Should of left it how it is and contacted them, but acting not bothered about it is pointless getting in touch with them.

I wounder how many times a month they pull this off ?, so yeah i would of kepted it how it arraved and and made a deal out of it and as you say it was minor things and nothing to bad and got a small discount.

Just letting it be is why they do it.

It really wouldn't have mattered if I took pictures, also, I can still take pictures of the missing dust fan and back screws, but that could just my word against theirs, but the stickers of Vega are still on there and I have never owned a Vega in my life, so I will still take that picture now just for the heck of it, probably won't matter though, that's still just my word against theirs.

The only thing I can't take pictures of are the 2-3 cat hairs, other than that the case was mint condition, camera would not have caught the smudgy fingerprints on the glass, my camera isn't that good. Regardless, I will call tomorrow, just be honest with them and see if they can do anything for me. Maybe they can send me a free dust filter that will fit if nothing else, my spare one is a little oversized.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I want to but I can't find a replacement case that meets my requirements for under $60. mainly glass panel, and 3x 3.5" drive bays.

They don't have another one? Last one?

Chances are it is a third party seller like Amazon, Newegg, and Walmart do. No idea if Fry's do that but I wouldn't be surprise.

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
If you do not want to return case, which i kinda understand, i think you can expect from them partial refund or discount on future purchases. I've read/heard "fry's" trademark/name more than few times so i would assume they are pretty big company and if so then they definitely like to keep their public image ok so you can, companies like that pay a lot of attention to social media. Go to their facebook page, post publicly visible post with taken photo and their PR ppl will contact you with offer personalized for you, most likely return or partial/full refund or discount code.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
They don't have another one? Last one?

Chances are it is a third party seller like Amazon, Newegg, and Walmart do. No idea if Fry's do that but I wouldn't be surprise.

No it's not the last one, I will ask them about a replacement tomorrow. Good thinking, I'm tired, not sure why I didn't think of that.

If you do not want to return case, which i kinda understand, i think you can expect from them partial refund or discount on future purchases. I've read/heard "fry's" trademark/name more than few times so i would assume they are pretty big company and if so then they definitely like to keep their public image ok so you can, companies like that pay a lot of attention to social media. Go to their facebook page, post publicly visible post with taken photo and their PR ppl will contact you with offer personalized for you, most likely return or partial/full refund or discount code.

I will report back here with what they say, have a good night for now mates.

System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X370
Cooling Noctua D15
Memory G.Skill 3200 DDR4 2x8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 TI SC
Storage 500GB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe + 860 Evo 2TB SSD + 5x 2TB HDDs
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Case Phanteks P600S (white)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (white)
Sounds like a bit of an overreaction. You're assuming intent. Fry's is a huge operation. It's a possibility that something got mislabeled and you got a used product shipped by accident. Call and try to straighten it out, but one mistake != shady business that should never be dealt with again.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Sounds like a bit of an overreaction. You're assuming intent. Fry's is a huge operation. It's a possibility that something got mislabeled and you got a used product shipped by accident. Call and try to straighten it out, but one mistake != shady business that should never be dealt with again.

very possible, but I doubt it honestly. the case itself looks mint, your average joe wouldn't have noticed the tiny sticker of vega, or a few finger print smudges on the glass, or the missing dust cover on top (cause there is no parts list), I could easily see someone just re-boxing this up and being like yep it's fine.

again not a huge deal, and they might be awesome of the phone tomorrow and rush me out a replacement, which would be great, cause my Navi gpu arrives Friday.

System Name We call it 'x79', aka The x79 system
Processor E5 1680 v2
Motherboard Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Soft tube loop w/ Black Ice GTX 360 and EK Supremacy Evo
Memory 32gb (4x8gb) 2400mhz cl11 Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) Radeon VII, XFX with Samsung HBM dies
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 1tb
Display(s) old 27" Viewsonic 1080p, Asus 1080p, Viewsonic 4k
Case Thermaltake Core x9
Power Supply Corsair HX1200
Benchmark Scores Cinebench r15, w/ 1680v2 @ 4.6ghz and XMP enabled, 1648 1680v2 @ 4.7ghz RAM @ stock 1333mhz, 1696
Fry's is in a lot of trouble and it doesn't look like they'll be around much longer. There is a stock issue at my local Fry's in Renton and some locations like the Dallas store have a worse stock issue than the one in Renton.

If you went into a Fry's location last year and thought to yourself..... this store looks terrible. Trust me, it's worse than it was last year. The Renton store has almost no Corsair products to speak of and the only cases being stocked are Thermaltake. The only brand of motherboards they have is MSI. Rumor has it that Fry's is 9 months behind on payments to their suppliers and some of the suppliers won't provide inventory to them until they pay up. Fry's has also reduced hours and cut staff.

It won't hurt to call them up but I don't know how far you will get. Never hurts to try. Otherwise I would suggest opening a support ticket with Corsair and telling them of your situation. They might send you the missing parts free of charge. I have heard of Corsair making exceptions. The only downside to sending an email to Corsair is it sometimes takes them 5-7 days to write a reply. However once you have opened a support ticket, you can call them afterward, and they can use the support ticket as a point of reference.

Check out this video to see what's going on with Fry's. Keep in mind that this video was posted a few days ago.

Last edited:
Commercial war and china's tariffs anyone ? the less resilient players will sink, they are part of the collateral damages.

You don't need advice you already adviced yourself, like you said on $54. Case closed. Lol

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You don't need advice you already adviced yourself, like you said on $54. Case closed. Lol

No harm in giving them a ring either, but yeah I won't sweat it whatever they say, and like grammar_phreak said I can also open a case with Corsair, and link them to this thread as well as show them pictures of the sticker, etc.

Quite frankly, I don't want to return the case, but like a $10 partial refund would make me happy. I just want to be able to finalize my build Friday and well build it, especially since my health is declining fast in last week or so, just want to have some nostalgia of my old all AMD rig from when I was a teenager with AGP graphics cards. I don't know why, it's not logical but for some reason it just brings me comfort, because it was when my love for gaming was greatest... playing Civ III mad man marathon sessions in the summer during school break, begging my Dad if he buys me The Frozen Throne expansion I will never ask for another game again (I was in 8th grade lol), or installing Final Fantasy XI mmo for the first time and my buddies saying 2 gigabytes of storage, HOLY CRAP, lol... just memories like that... me and 3 of my buddies doing a LAN party with Sttarcraft 1 and Warcraft 3... man those were the days, no cell phones, no distractions, just having fun and free of mind and spirit in small town Indiana, the fresh smell of opening a magic the gathering card pack with my friends, and then later that same night playing on the original Magic Online client from 2002-2003.. Has nothing to do with AMD, but for some reason mentally, I guess since that was all I could afford back then and not Intel/Nvidia, this is my way of saying thanks to AMD... if that makes sense?

Ironically... I just finished the story of latest expansion of FFXIV mmo and I did a quest in magic the gathering arena last night... but it's not the same... people use to chat to each other back then, I made friends all over the world. Now no one ever chats, everyone is too busy these days. MTG Arena doesn't even have an option to chat... which is a real shame, cause I met some of the best people ever as a teenager that way. The world has changed, and hasn't changed... I'm just fond of the old days, those were the golden years of PC gaming, and AMD made it affordable to me.

Sorry for the tangent, just not feeling well tonight.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Well 1.) already decided I am never buying from Fry's ever again, this is blatant case of re-selling a used item as new wrongly.
Bestbuy was known for doing the same. Not sure though if their still doing it.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Bestbuy was known for doing the same. Not sure though if their still doing it.

I didn't know that, I rarely go into best buy since their prices are always a bit higher. My Dad and I went into one two weeks ago and I was impressed with how lively it felt. I got a Playstation Classic for $20 :)

I imagine all of them have done it at one point or another, and maybe it is policy to do so if the return seems mint and its within 5 days or something? if passes inspection, etc. maybe this one just slipped through the cracks cause it's such a large item to inspect someone got lazy. /shrug

again this is why I will be buying a Playstation 5 on launch day, all my my major hardware, a new TV eventually, etc. to make sure this never happens to me on my large purchases ^^

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Here if you buy anything online, you have a right to return it back without a reason in two week timeframe. Consumer rights do not shine everywhere.

Partial refund is a matter of deal in between, nothing regulates it or tells to do it. For large companies it is impossible as they cannot write it off anywhere as expenses just legal wise and will tell to sod off.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Fry's is in a lot of trouble and it doesn't look like they'll be around much longer. There is a stock issue at my local Fry's in Renton and some locations like the Dallas store have a worse stock issue than the one in Renton.

If you went into a Fry's location last year and thought to yourself..... this store looks terrible. Trust me, it's worse than it was last year. The Renton store has almost no Corsair products to speak of and the only cases being stocked are Thermaltake. The only brand of motherboards they have is MSI. Rumor has it that Fry's is 9 months behind on payments to their suppliers and some of the suppliers won't provide inventory to them until they pay up. Fry's has also reduced hours and cut staff.

It won't hurt to call them up but I don't know how far you will get. Never hurts to try. Otherwise I would suggest opening a support ticket with Corsair and telling them of your situation. They might send you the missing parts free of charge. I have heard of Corsair making exceptions. The only downside to sending an email to Corsair is it sometimes takes them 5-7 days to write a reply. However once you have opened a support ticket, you can call them afterward, and they can use the support ticket as a point of reference.

Check out this video to see what's going on with Fry's. Keep in mind that this video was posted a few days ago.

Yeah, they are going to go down like TigerDirect.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ

Well, I know this will sound harsh, but if you "just let it go", then you are a fool, for letting them, or any other company, get away with this crap, which by the way, is F R A U D U L E N T and is a F E L O N Y under US laws.....

Letting it go means that you are an enabler and are perpetuating this illegal nonsense as OK, which it clearly is not...and means that it will most likely continue to happen to other people without any consequences for Fry's....

FYI, this same crap happened to me a few years ago, and I took the following actions:

A) Took pictures and returned to the store demanding not only my full purchase price back, but also reimbursement for my time & mileage. RESULT: Full refund to my cc + $100 in cash.

B) Wrote a very strongly-worded letter to their corporate headquarters demanding answers as to how, when & who committed this crime. RESULT: Lame-assed apology letter + $100 Visa gift card + assurances that the people responsible would be held accountable. When I went back into the store 2 weeks later & asked to see the Manager, I was told he was fired for poor customer service...

C) Filed formal complaints with the BBB, FTC, my State's Attorney General and local Consumer protection agency.
RESULT: the company received a negative rating from BBB & CPA, warning letters from the FTC & AG's offices, with instructions to issue me another $100 as damages for my troubles.....

So in summary... homey don't play dat, not when it comes to my money anyways :eek: :peace: :laugh:

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
Congrats mate! I'm dealing with one store now. One of their people, specifically from cpu department, in december when i sent them cpu was doing anything possible to refuse me a replacement. After few weeks (sometime in january) finally i received my replacement and only because i publicly described my case on fb and few tech forums. Now, still unable to resolve my issues i have i decided to use my right stated by consumer law to do full return of my purchase with full refund and guess what? That guy still works there and this time he again tried to delay my return. After one properly written by me message he changed his mind but store itself now is doing to me problems with my full return which i have covered by law. Today i will sit for few hours and write an email to customer ombudsman(?) describing whole case.

Status
Not open for further replies.