• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need advice on laptop HDD

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3.00/6M/1333
Motherboard AsRock G31M-GS R2.0
Cooling CoolerMaster Vortex 752 - Black
Memory 4 Go (2x2) Kingston ValueRam DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Asus EN8600GT/HTDP/512M
Storage WD 3200AAKS
Display(s) 32" Irico E320GV-FHD
Case Aerocool Qx-2000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker 2 - 465w
Mouse Logitech Wave MK550 combo (M510)
Keyboard Logitech Wave MK550 combo (K350)
Software Win_7_Pro-French
Benchmark Scores Windows index : 6.5 / 6.5 / 5.6 / 6.3 / 5.9
OK, hope that you find what's needed!:)

Sign up for Newegg promos & you'll always get great deals, recently there was a 1TB Seagate SSHD for notebooks at a killer price of $49.99 w/free shipping. Had I needed one, would had jumped all over it, but all of my notebooks, except an IBM T42 ThinkPad, runs SSD's, in both the stock & optical drive bay via a $10 adapter. If I need an optical drive, have a couple of USB to SATA (optical drive type) cable, works perfectly when needed. Speaking of Newegg, I cannot possibly begin to total the amount of cash that's been saved over the last 7 years, yet would bet that it'll make a huge down payment on a new truck.:D

https://www.newegg.com/

So if you really want to expand your storage, that's an added option, just find the proper size for your notebook, most of mine takes the 12.5mm, another with a slot load takes a slimmer model.

Good Luck with your project, I feel confident you'll find a suitable HDD to meet your needs.:)

Cat
Im Canadian so we mostly never have your deals and Exchange raté is killing it.

System Name ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer
Processor Intel Core i7-4790K (Delidded) with Rockit 88 100% Copper IHS
Motherboard ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB (8GB x4) GSkill TridentX DDR3 2400 (XMP Mode #1) Timings: 10-12-12-31
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 (8GB GDDR5)
Storage 512GB Samsung 970 PRO (NVMe), 2TB WD Gold WD2005FBYZ-01YCBB1 SATA-3 Data drive
Display(s) LG 27UL500-W 27-Inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Monitor with Radeon Freesync Technology and HDR10, White
Case Fractal Design Define R5 (Black, no Window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard Optical (TOSLINK) from MB to VIZIO soundbar
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 650
Mouse Logitech M215
Keyboard Logitech K330
Software Windows 10 Pro Secured by Emsisoft Internet Security & Malwarebytes Premium Version 3
Benchmark Scores http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/2157372
OK then, I have a couple of friends in the region, they sometimes get better deals from Canada Computers than I do on Newegg in the US. Those living close to the border where there's a Newegg warehouse, has the best of both worlds, I know one who lives in Canada, yet works in the US, and picks up his Newegg orders on the job.:)

I tried to purchase a couple of items from their online store, don't ship to the US. Maybe it has to do with that Exchange Rate you mentioned, they'd lose by doing business with US consumers. They do have some great deals, there's times when I've paid the exchange rate to other countries (in the EU & Australia) in order to get hard to find OEM components, as well as a few accessories that US online sites doesn't have.

I have little doubt that you can find a quality HDD, if you already haven't, that'll meet your needs & budget.:)

Cat