1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need general help with an Xbox 360 with Kinect

Discussion in 'Games' started by twilyth, Aug 3, 2011.

1. twilyth Guest

I know I'm being a lazy ponce starting a thread like this and I could probably figure this out on my own - eventually. But if the mods don't mind, I'd like to use this thread to field general questions about this system - setting it up, getting online, tweeking it, etc.

My first question is why can't I use the HDMI output? But first, here is the setup.

Xbox, Kinect sensor, controller, 20gig on board, 500gig external hard drive

I tried to set it up using HDMI going to my receiver and then to the HDTV but I got nothing. So I yanked it out and used the composite connector - which is designed to block the HDMI port. They even say in one of the manuals that you can't use both at the same time.

Am I stuck with composite video or can I use HDMI? I went through the setup and didn't see any option for it.

Question 2 - how do I set up the external drive?

Question 3 - how important is it to set up xbox live? I have it connected to my network and I eventually want to use the xbox to stream video from the HTPC. Do I need to set up Live for that?

OK, that's it for now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :toast: :respect: :toast: :respect::toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    don't think so for the streaming, but i'd get live anyway, even if it's just the free one it'll make things easier in the long run

plug it in, although xbox is a bit strange with external drives and has a tendency to not accept large drives

Does the HDMI work plugged straight into the TV?

3. twilyth Guest

OK. I'll go ahead and set up the live account. I just feel like I'm being spied on but I'll get over it. I've got plenty of tinfoil so at least they won't be able to read my mind. :laugh:

I didn't try going direct. This is an old HDTV so there are only 2 HDMI ports but since everything else goes through the receiver, one is open so I'll try that in a little while.

Does the xbox set up the external drive on it's own or is there a menu buried someplace where I can force the issue?

Thanks again. :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    live is required for most game/dash updates, so just get the free one as i did and you're set.
    hdmi should work fine... my first thought is it's something of a mix up. the xbox won't fully turn
    on until it detects something receiving the hdmi signal... maybe the receiver was switching slow
    or on the wrong channel?

as for the drive: from xbox.com