• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help buying W10 online

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name HP Pavilion a6552f
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Motherboard Asus IPIBL-LB / HP Benicia-GL8E
Cooling DeepCool Gammaxx 200
Memory 8gigs Kingston 4x2gigs DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Zotac GT630 "Fermi" 2gb DDR3 128bits Synergy Edition
Storage Western Digital Green 7200rpm 1tb
Display(s) LG Flatron EW234 Super LED
Case HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 430w
Mouse Razer Abyssus Mirror Special Edition Blue LED
Keyboard Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Commander Red LED Backlighting Mechanical Keycaps Membrane Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits
Hi.

Can you suggest me a safe and good place to buy and download Windows 10 home edition in french and in Canada ?

Also why these websites are selling licences cheaper than on microsoft website themselves ?

Thanks

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Amazon.ca they are totally legit just do the search for Windows 10 key

Case HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Commander Red LED Backlighting Mechanical Keycaps Membrane Gaming Keyboard
Amazon.ca they are totally legit just do the search for Windows 10 key

Its all over 100$. The other ones are right online and you just buy a key.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
Pointless asking here, you either go down "legit" root and buy it from a reputable retailer like Amazon, Newegg, Microsoft store, any other genuine computer store and pay the $100+ or gamble and pay pennies for key from a key seller and see how long it will stay authenticate for. You may be lucky you may not be.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Pointless asking here, you either go down "legit" root and buy it from a reputable retailer like Amazon, Newegg, Microsoft store, any other genuine computer store and pay the $100+ or gamble and pay pennies for key from a key seller and see how long it will stay authenticate for. You may be lucky you may not be.

To be fair, TPU endorses one of those shady key sellers lol.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The price is "too good to be true" keys are legitimate keys. The sale of those keys is not. "Because they work" or have been endorsed by a legitimate organization does not legitimize them.

Those super cheap keys are broken out of "volume" license packages. For example, an organization may buy a 1000 key volume license package, but only use 800 of them. Then someone is trying to sell the unused 200 individually. But by the terms of those volume licenses, all keys are supposed to stay together and with the company that bought the volume license, or sold together as an entire 1000 key package - that is, not individually. So while those 200 keys themselves are legitimate, selling them is not.

If such sales were 100% legitimate, why doesn't Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Costco, Newegg, Tiger Direct, Micro Center or Sams buy huge volume packages then sell them individually so cheaply too? Note that Amazon.ca link above shows the key is being sold by "Andy music" and NOT Amazon itself.

Not illegal ≠ Legitimate

kurosagi01 is right. You can pay pennies and get a key that likely will be authenticated. You may be lucky and it will work forever. But your luck may not last and since such licenses are not obtained through legitimate authorized sellers, you have no license agreement with Microsoft and therefore, Microsoft will not be obligated to support or re-authenticate/re-authorize your license.

Now those are the facts. Others may and likely will chime in with their opinions and anecdotal examples - but opinions and anecdotes don't change the facts.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
The price is "too good to be true" keys are legitimate keys. The sale of those keys is not. "Because they work" or have been endorsed by a legitimate organization does not legitimize them.

Those super cheap keys are broken out of "volume" license packages. For example, an organization may buy a 1000 key volume license package, but only use 800 of them. Then someone is trying to sell the unused 200 individually. But by the terms of those volume licenses, all keys are supposed to stay together and with the company that bought the volume license, or sold together as an entire 1000 key package - that is, not individually. So while those 200 keys themselves are legitimate, selling them is not.

If such sales were 100% legitimate, why doesn't Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Costco, Newegg, Tiger Direct, Micro Center or Sams buy huge volume packages then sell them individually so cheaply too? Note that Amazon.ca link above shows the key is being sold by "Andy music" and NOT Amazon itself.

Not illegal ≠ Legitimate

kurosagi01 is right. You can pay pennies and get a key that likely will be authenticated. You may be lucky and it will work forever. But your luck may not last and since such licenses are not obtained through legitimate authorized sellers, you have no license agreement with Microsoft and therefore, Microsoft will not be obligated to support or re-authenticate/re-authorize your license.

Now those are the facts. Others may and likely will chime in with their opinions and anecdotal examples - but opinions and anecdotes don't change the facts.

Well I have been using these keys ever since Windows 10 was released. In one instance I had changed my MB and CPU and Windows did not accept the hardware changes button. I had to call Microsoft and guess what there was no mention of my key being invalid. There was no mention of the key being bought from a shady source the only thing that was said is "Sir I have reactivated Windows for you is there any thing else".

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
I've asked the same question and gotten the same response, there are a ton of sites out there that sell them for cheap and they work. Ironically, I bought Win10 for my laptop 2nd harddrive, then found out I don't need a key as it's burned into the laptop.

Well I have been using these keys ever since Windows 10 was released. In one instance I had changed my MB and CPU and Windows did not accept the hardware changes button. I had to call Microsoft and guess what there was no mention of my key being invalid. There was no mention of the key being bought from a shady source the only thing that was said is "Sir I have reactivated Windows for you is there any thing else".

Don't engage with the conscience police lol

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
LOL As I said,
I had to call Microsoft and guess what there was no mention of my key being invalid.
:roll: And guess what? No where did anyone say or even suggest the keys were "invalid". In fact, I specifically said the "keys are legitimate keys".

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Are the keys from gray market sites 100% legit? No. Do they work most of the time? Yeah. Have I seen them fail? Yeah. I have a customer that bought about 50 keys from one of those gray market sites to upgrade all their company's computers to Windows 10 Pro. They worked for about 3 months, then one day they came in and all 50 computers were asking for Windows to be activated, and wouldn't re-activate using the keys he bought. All the keys were bought from the same seller. In fact, he was sent just one key. So, yeah, volume license all the way here as most volume licensing organizations are just given a single key from Microsoft. And I'm guessing when whatever organization the key came from ended their licensing agreement with Microsoft, Microsoft killed that key in their activation servers.

Yes, it is a gamble, but for the price it is hard to pass up. I mean, even if you have to re-buy a key every year it might take 5+ years before you reach the cost of outright buying a OEM copy of Windows.

Me personally? If I'm building a computer for someone, I always use a legit key bought from Newegg or Amazon directly, I don't want anything coming back to haunt me. For my own computers, well there are still plenty of Windows 7 keys floating around that still activate Windows 10, so I just use one from my stack of COA stickers that I have from dead computers(yes, I know, also not technically legit).

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
In fact, he was sent just one key.
Yeah, this is how it was for us with a government network and 800 nodes we used to manage. We got one key but were require to have auditing software installed on the network too to keep track of the number (of all the software - not just Windows) being used. From a network administrative point of view, this made it incredibly easy to manage (and inventory) - and stay 100% legal.

Case HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Onboard

Not illegal ≠ Legitimate

Thank you for the explanation. But I tought also it could be opened package or broken from stealing in store and they resell to second party instead of having losses.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Thank you for the explanation. But I tought also it could be opened package or broken from stealing in store and they resell to second party instead of having losses.

A number of places, including enterprise or MSDN keys too. The enterprise ones are more common and that is outright theft.

From my understanding, a lot of the keys are from Win7 upgrades. IE - they sell you an old Win7 key and it works to install Win10. I could be wrong.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
But I tought also it could be opened package or broken from stealing in store and they resell to second party instead of having losses.
Nope. First, I don't see how an opened package would or could play into this. There is no legitimate way a package could be opened and then only some of the contents be returned. Remember, consumers are not buying the software. They are buying the licenses to use it. And by continuing to use said software, we agree to the terms of the EULAs.

As for stealing - well, no where is it legal (or legitimate) to sell (or receive) stolen property - even if we don't know it is stolen. Caveat emptor ("let the buyer beware"). If you buy a stolen car or artwork, as examples, thinking it is totally legal and legit, you can have it confiscated by law enforcement and never get a penny back.

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
It isn't illegal regardless of what the people will say on here, it might be against their EULA but I doubt that, either way it wasn't theft. Microsoft got their money when the key was issued. Another person resold it at a lower cost. M$ already made their money. Sometimes the keys are from other countries where the price is much lower but either way M$ got paid what they wanted for the key. Same can be said for Bulk Licence purchasing M$ got their money.

I am not a lawyer.

Case HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Nope. First, I don't see how an opened package would or could play into this. There is no legitimate way a package could be opened and then only some of the contents be returned. Remember, consumers are not buying the software. They are buying the licenses to use it. And by continuing to use said software, we agree to the terms of the EULAs.

As for stealing - well, no where is it legal (or legitimate) to sell (or receive) stolen property - even if we don't know it is stolen. Caveat emptor ("let the buyer beware"). If you buy a stolen car or artwork, as examples, thinking it is totally legal and legit, you can have it confiscated by law enforcement and never get a penny back.

Yeah you dont seem to understand before ranting full text so I will explain you in details my point of view. I was talking about opened or broken Windows 10 packages in stores like Walmart or any electronic stores. Could be broken by accident or somebody tried to steal it so its a loss for the store because they cant resell to customers when packaged goods are damaged. Its put on pallets of boxes and resold as bulk for refurbishers. Then it could be resold online just the key. Understood now I hope.

It isn't illegal regardless of what the people will say on here, it might be against their EULA but I doubt that, either way it wasn't theft. Microsoft got their money when the key was issued. Another person resold it at a lower cost. M$ already made their money. Sometimes the keys are from other countries where the price is much lower but either way M$ got paid what they wanted for the key. Same can be said for Bulk Licence purchasing M$ got their money.

I am not a lawyer.

Same principle as buying a laptop in hong kong and resell it abroad when back from travelling

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
Hi.

Can you suggest me a safe and good place to buy and download Windows 10 home edition in french and in Canada ?

Also why these websites are selling licences cheaper than on microsoft website themselves ?

Thanks
Try digging out an old Windows 7 key that you may have lying around.
That's totally legit and a loophole that MS still hasn't closed yet. Sssh!

Case HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Have many. Going to try

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

I am not a lawyer.

That isn't exactly how it works with volume licencing keys. Microsoft only gets paid per device the key is used on, but the organization is responsible for auditing the number of devices. So, for instance, Microsoft will authorize 1000 activations on a key. The organization might only need 800 of those. So they pay Microsoft for 800 activations. But then someone decides to sell the key 200 times to make a little money on the side. Those activations aren't reported to Microsoft by the organizations so Microsoft is never paid for them.

Not totally legit, but I still do it, so who am I to judge. ;)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Yeah you dont seem to understand before ranting full text so I will explain you in details my point of view.
:( Explaining and answering your question is not a rant.
I was talking about opened or broken Windows 10 packages in stores like Walmart or any electronic stores.
Then it is unlikely those would involve unused portions of a volume license, now would they? Not to mention, pretty sure you cannot walk into Walmart or Best Buy and buy a 1000 key license "off-the-shelf". And AFAIK, volume licenses can only be purchased through Microsoft, or a Microsoft Partner. And when purchasing volume licenses, you have to register at that time, your company. At least that is how it was and I'm pretty sure that is still how it is.
It isn't illegal regardless of what the people will say on here
:( Please read what folks have said and are saying before making such comments. NOBODY SAID IT WAS ILLEGAL!
Same principle as buying a laptop in hong kong and resell it abroad when back from travelling
Ummm, no. That is not the same principle at all. When you buy a laptop, it comes with an OEM license that is tied to the hardware. It is perfectly legit and legal to sell it when you return from traveling. Now what would not be legit is to buy that laptop, travel and use it during your trip, then return it at the place of purchase for a full refund. That is where your "open package" scenario would come into play. The retailer would be stuck with a loss because they could not sell it as new again.

Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Mouse Logitech G502
:( Please read what folks have said and are saying before making such comments. NOBODY SAID IT WAS ILLEGAL!
Ok no one did say it was illegal. But people are trying to make it sound like something bad will happen. Or M$ will come for you. Which it isn't, and they won't. Just to let you know Legit = Legitimate and legitimates literal definition is..."conforming to the law or to rules." But no laws are being broken just useless and seemingly unenforceable EULA's.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
But people are trying to make it sound like something bad will happen. Or M$ will come for you.
No they aren't. You are trying to read something into something NEVER said. The sky is not falling. At worst, all anybody here said is that your (if using one of those) copy of Windows may need to be re-authorized at some point and that it may not get re-authorized. NOBODY said anything "bad" will happen or that Microsoft will come after you.
Just to let you know Legit = Legitimate.
Why do you keep twisting what was said around? Do we need to start looking at tin futures again? :rolleyes:

I said, not illegal ≠ Legitimate. Nobody ever said legit does not = legitimate.

And you are right about the definition of legitimate. But please understand what YOU are saying. Rules do NOT have to be laws. They can also be terms of an agreement, or just an accepted standard. Or as YOU noted, a simple "rule".

So once again, no matter how hard you want it to seem we are talking about "legality", none of us have suggested or even implied that.

Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Mouse Logitech G502
Ok, then we agree. It is 100% okay to purchase windows 10 keys for less than retail. In which case there are plenty of sources to choose from. G2A is a pretty good one.

I would stop arguing with you but.... I'm JUST

download.jpg

Last edited:
Processor i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus strix Z-490-e
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z 4000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus STRIX RTX 3080
Storage 1tb Samsung 970 EVO,1tb hdd,750gb hdd
Display(s) Asus 27" 144htz 1440
Case Lian Li lancool 2 mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard