• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need help ! complicated problem :(

Iblees

hello everyone !!! im newbie here ...
i will write summary about my problem hoping to find any help from expert people !
i have Hasse laptop ( chinese product ) with Nvidia Geforce 8400M ...
6 months ago , my monitor suddenly stopped working( became dead ) and i dont know why , so i figure out that i can use an external monitor ... so , i disassembled laptop monitor and just kept the laptop semi naked ( only the bottom part without the monitor ) ... and it worked perfect !
after while , due to some heating issues ... my Nvidia chips decided the day of it death !
and whenever i start the laptop , it shows weird color ( like vertical green lines "ofcourse using the external monitor ) !
see the photo : http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3318/img00223201301300200.jpg
so , i took it to some repair shops , they fixed it . but it works by external monitor .
and they told me that my Nvidia chips has heat issues and maybe the problem will return !
after 1 month , the same problem appeared ( vertical green lines with 4-bit colors ) .
Same as if you have windows 98 without VGA driver ! ( it shows shit colors ) !
i tried to fix the Nvidia chip by heating gun and seriously it works again ( just did that 1 week ago ) . but today , it returned as before !!!!
i dont know much about BIOS , but when i started the laptop ... it says :
system configuration data updated error .
0271: check date and time settings .
0251: system CMOS checksum bad - default configuration used .
i know this problem because the battery , and i fix it . but it gives me new thoughts about BIOS !
so , my question is :
does BIOS affect my Nvidia card and i have to flush it ?
because as i read in many posts , some people said that BIOS maybe damaged and i need to flush it again !
i really appreciate any help or any idea from you guys !
have a nice day folks ... and Thanks in advance :) ...
P.S: sorry im not native english , if you couldnt understand any part , tell me and i will explain it ! .

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Those gpu's are bad- they heat up and desolder from the board. Any fix that is attempted is temporary at best. I have a dead Dell laptop here with the same problem.

If you can manage to keep the gpu cool the repair will last longer but your best choice is to look for another laptop.

System Name The White Breeze||Medion Akoya Ultrabook
Processor i7-3770k||Core i5-3317U
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPOWER||Laptop?
Cooling Custom TEC waterloop||Laptop?
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 2133MHz||8GB SDRAM
Video Card(s) 2X SLI MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning||Intel 4000
Storage Corsair GT 120GB, WD Caviar Black 1TB||500GB HDD with 32gb MSATA cache
Display(s) Samsung U28D590D 4k||14" LED
Case NZXT Switch 810||Laptop shell?
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi surround pro 5.1||Dolby Home Theatre V4
Power Supply Seasonic XP-860 Platinum||Laptop Power Brick
Software Windows 7||Windows 8
You're best try for a semi-permanent repair is to try the Oven mod. It's a bit more riskier then using a Heat gun, but it gives more stable results.

Iblees

@Norton trust me , its not heating issue .... because the vertical lines appear exactly when i start my laptop .. in another word ( the GPU didnt get heat yet ) !
@ALMOSTunseen ... to be honest , i didnt try the heat guy ... but i meant Oven mod because i thought no one knows about oven trick :D ... and after i tried it , my laptop started to work again !!! but im still wondering if the BIOS is damaged or no !!! thats what i really wanna know about !
thanks both of you :love:

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
vertical lines means card is dying. It could be baked but that may only fix it for a short while.

Iblees

yeah i agree with you , but i still waiting anyone to tell me if the bios can be the problem or not !

brandonwh64

IIRC the 8400M did not have a bios that was flashable since it was built into the motherboard. I could be wrong though.

Iblees

but as i read in some sites ... i can flush Nvidia if there is any problem ... i can give you link if you want :) ...
does anyone tried to Solder the chip , it may help ? because i think the chip became loose ?
any idea ?

brandonwh64

Have you looked into replacing the laptop? It may be cheaper and less of a headache in the long run

System Name Main / Home Media Serever
Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.75ghz / AMD AM3 5200+ x2
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance / Biostar 790GX
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight / XIGMATEK Apache
Memory 12gb of G.Skill Value Series DDR3 / 4x 1gb DDR2
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 6870 1gb / Asus Radeon 5450 512mb
Storage 2x Samsung 830 64gb SSD Raid 0 & 750gb WD Blue HDD / OCZ Vertex II 80GB & 10TB of HDD Space
Display(s) 2x Acer 24" LED / Samsung 50" LED
Case Xigmatek Asgard II / APEX PC-389-C
Power Supply Rosewill 750w / Antec EArthwatts 380w
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 / Ubuntu 14.04
The mobile geforce 8xxx series were bad news bears. Pretty sure there was a class action lawsuit against Nvidia and they lost. Here in the US they had to be repaired for free.

Seeing as how that ship has come and gone and you tore your laptop apart. I agree that your best bed is to bake the sucker in the oven. Worked for me on a RROD Xbox 360 once.

Iblees

i already bought new one ... but i wanna fix this one and let my younger brother use it ...
why wasting it if i can fix it :) ... plus , i wont take it to any repair shop ...
many repair shops told me that i can replace the NVIDIA chip ... but it will be expensive !!
so , im thinking to find a way to fix it with my own

Iblees

as i said , i tried baking and oven ..... but the problem returned next day ...
the weather here so cold ... and seriously i feel that chip got freeze :D ...
when you tried oven mod ,how many days did it last without any problems ?

brandonwh64

If baking it did not work then I am afraid that its toast.

Iblees

oh i remembered something ... there are some thermal at the mother board near to Nvidia Chip !
maybe i should clean it because these spots affecting the GPU ?

System Name Custom FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk
Cooling EK A240 Kit
Memory G.SKILL G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200 8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 FTW3 Ultra
Storage SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe OS Drive/Seagate Hybrid SSHD ST1000LM014 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache
Display(s) ASUS VE228H 21.5 inch
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Silverstone Strider 750 Plus 750W Modular
Mouse Red Dragon M715 Dagger
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yep Dieing Video card/Video Chipset. That exact samething happened to one of my old video cards in my computer a HD 3870 to be exact but it did the exact same thing your having a problem with. since your is in a laptop i'm sorry to say it but its toast since you have already done the oven trick. You can do the oven trick again but it will do the samething after a bit.