• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Help Installing The Essential Drivers & Utilites

happy

System Name HAPPY
Processor i7-2600
Motherboard ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3
Cooling CORSAIR CAFA50 (CPU)
Memory 4GB 1333mhz
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI
Storage HITACHI 160GB 7200RPM HDT721016SLA380 & 5 IDE 250GB WD HDD
Power Supply Corsair 650 TX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hi guys,
I need help installing the drivers that are essential and don't want to install extras in my OS.

Here is the full list of drivers: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77I_DELUXE/#download

Here is the list I am not sure what to download:

There are a couple of wireless drivers and I don't know which one to download. One of the drivers on the wireless section has only the wireless and the other one has bluetooth and wireless. On the bluetooth section it has a bluetooth driver. I don't know why they separate the drivers like that. It makes it very confusing to download. Also is rapid storage necessary to download? There are two drivers in the SATA section, which one am I suppose to download?
One last thing. Do I need to install the utilities for the Asus P8z77-i? I want to install the things that are essential as the more I download the less space I have on my SSD.

One last question,
The motherboard has Bios Flashback, which means I can simply plug in a USB device in the USB and press the Bios Flashback button for 3 seconds and it will flash to the new Bios. My question is does the computer have to be on? Could the computer be off but the power supply is on and I press the Bios Flashback button? How long does it usually take to update the bios through the Bios Flashback method? Can I have other things on the USB when updating the Bios?

Please help.

Thanks

happy

System Name HAPPY
Processor i7-2600
Memory 4GB 1333mhz
To be honest, get all the drivers from manufacturer pages. That is, Chipset and SATA AHCI drivers either from AMD or Intel. Same for graphic and audio drivers. Only thing that you'll probably want from ASUS page is bluetooth driver but even that you may find elsewhere depending on who's the vendor. I also recommend getting network card drivers from manufacturer which is most often Marvell or Realtek...

happy

System Name HAPPY
Processor i7-2600
Memory 4GB 1333mhz
To be honest, get all the drivers from manufacturer pages. That is, Chipset and SATA AHCI drivers either from AMD or Intel. Same for graphic and audio drivers. Only thing that you'll probably want from ASUS page is bluetooth driver but even that you may find elsewhere depending on who's the vendor. I also recommend getting network card drivers from manufacturer which is most often Marvell or Realtek...

There is one driver with the bluetooth and the wireless. Do I install that one or should I just install the bluetooth and wireless separately? How do you install the bios flashback?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Shove teh DVD that came with the board in. It will allow you to customize the installation of drivers and such, as well as the added software, while at the same time, ensuring that all critical software is in place. There is a bit of "fluff", but nothing that's gonna bog your system down. It's 2012 after all, not 1992. NO Z77-based system is gonna lose much if anything with what ASUS provides.

The stuff you do not need, is pretty obvious, going through the disc install.

Processor AMD 8350
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Night Night Hawk Edition
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaws CL7
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 500gb + WD Black 5Tb
Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 144Hz
Case White Corsair 500r
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i 860W
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
I wouldn't update the BIOS unless you have a problem with the board.

happy

System Name HAPPY
Processor i7-2600
Memory 4GB 1333mhz
I wouldn't update the BIOS unless you have a problem with the board.

But in the description, it says it improves stability. But if I decided to update the bios, how would I do it. Do I simply put the bios file in a usb stick and press the bios flashback button for 3 seconds. Do I have to have the computer on? Or does the computer just have to have to be off but the PSU is on. Also can I have other files in the usb stick with the bios file when I update the bios using the bios flashback button?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
best thing to do if you already got CPU installed and such, and can see BIOS on your monitor, is to use the flashing utility under the "tools" section in the BIOS itself.

USBFLashback is for when you cannot boot the system due to missing devices, like wrong CPU, or memory and such.

happy

System Name HAPPY
Processor i7-2600
Memory 4GB 1333mhz
best thing to do if you already got CPU installed and such, and can see BIOS on your monitor, is to use the flashing utility under the "tools" section in the BIOS itself.

USBFLashback is for when you cannot boot the system due to missing devices, like wrong CPU, or memory and such.

How do I install the BIOS using the flashing utility under the "tools"? Do I put the USB stick with the bios file in the designated USB input on the motherboard? Can I have other files on the USB while doing the BIOS flash?

Also, does installing a new BIOS affect all my other programs because its installing something like a new driver and wouldn't it have some effect on the other drivers and programs I have already installed on the computer?

Last edited:

happy

System Name HAPPY
Processor i7-2600
Memory 4GB 1333mhz
Dear Happy,

I would recommend to READ THE MANUAL, it is all or mostly there (at least how to update BIOS, lol). Drivers, you will need them all (but maybe not RAID, or AUDIO, only if you use that), but check the release dates... Feel free to not install APPlications you do not need (like AI suites, "free" video suites, and what not, etc...)

BTW, both ASUS, GIGABYTE and ASROCK websites and their mobo download sections SUCK, 2x SUCK and 3x SUCK! They are not self-explaining but confusing. Are there no clever Taiwanese anywhere! FFS!!!!
Please put dates and versions behind the releases, do not just write "Ultra woopla driver, click to download". Remove obsolete versiones. Think.

(Well if after 30 years of writing "manuals" they still cannot write decent manuals, go figure...)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
How do I install the BIOS using the flashing utility under the "tools"?

go to "tools' in bios, choose the "EZ Flash" option, and it'll launch the BIOS flasher. IT has directions inside too.

Do I put the USB stick with the bios file in the designated USB input on the motherboard?

any usb port works. but the drive must be FAT32

Can I have other files on the USB while doing the BIOS flash?

Sure can. Just make sure to know what teh name of the file is.

Also, does installing a new BIOS affect all my other programs because its installing something like a new driver and wouldn't it have some effect on the other drivers and programs I have already installed on the computer?

Nope, should be no issues there. Sometimes, with major changes, you might need to re-activate some software, but 99% of apps do not ahve this problem. Windows might throw a fit if you change fro mRAID to AHCI, or some stuff like that, but that's about it.

BIOS flashing is really no big deal. YEs, it can go wrong, adn it can make stuff not work...but with today's technology, the chances of that happening are few and far between. Just be sure to not do it overclocked, and do not unplug the PC while hte flash is in progress, and there's nothing to worry about it. I flash at least one board, once, every week.;)

happy

System Name HAPPY
Processor i7-2600
Memory 4GB 1333mhz
Should I install the Intel HD 4000 driver if I have a 7970? I heard that the Intel HD 4000 could work hybridly, meaning that when I am not using any GPU intensive program the Intel HD 4000 would kick in.