• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help setting up BoincView

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x HD4870 512MB
Storage 2x 500GB
Display(s) 3x LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply PC P&C Silencer 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
OK.... I am trying to get BoincView running to monitor my crunchers.

I am trying to follow this guide -

http://www.boinc-wiki.info/BoincView_Installation_and_Set-Up_Guide

I have created the two .cfg files that are needed (gui_rpc_auth.cfg & remote_hosts.cfg ) and put them in the Boinc folder.....but am getting nothing in BoincView.

I seem to be doing something wrong as the "Remote control allowed" message does not appear in Boinc manager.

Couple of Q's -
Q1 - Is it better using IP or Hostname in remote_hosts.cfg, or can I put both in, to be sure ?
Q2 - In gui_rpc_auth.cfg do you have to insert the password for each different client/rig or just use a single password ?

Anyone using BoincView that can help would be appreciated.

RAMMIE

OK.... I am trying to get BoincView running to monitor my crunchers.

I am trying to follow this guide -

http://www.boinc-wiki.info/BoincView_Installation_and_Set-Up_Guide

I have created the two .cfg files that are needed (gui_rpc_auth.cfg & remote_hosts.cfg ) and put them in the Boinc folder.....but am getting nothing in BoincView.

I seem to be doing something wrong as the "Remote control allowed" message does not appear in Boinc manager.

Couple of Q's -
Q1 - Is it better using IP or Hostname in remote_hosts.cfg, or can I put both in, to be sure ?
Q2 - In gui_rpc_auth.cfg do you have to insert the password for each different client/rig or just use a single password ?

Anyone using BoincView that can help would be appreciated.

I use the hostname in remote_hosts .cfg and delete the numbers in gui_rpc_auth.cfg Leave password blank in BV

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg12.jpg
    Untitled.jpg12.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 515
Processor Q9550 @3.8
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x HD4870 512MB
Storage 2x 500GB
Display(s) 3x LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply PC P&C Silencer 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Hi RAMMIE, I just missed your post last night before I signed off :(

I messed about for another while and I think I found my problem.

I am running Vista and instead of putting the files in "C:\Program Files\BOINC" , I transfered them to "C:\ProgramData\BOINC" ...what turned me on to this was the fact that there was no "gui_rpc_auth.cfg" in "C:\Program Files\BOINC" originally, but a search showed one in "C:\ProgramData\BOINC"

I used the IP address for each as I have them set to static ones anyway and just used the same password for each computer ...thanks for the tip on using a blank password :toast:.

Anyway, this is what I now have showing in BoincView, I am using v1.4.2 -

Seems to be working :D It's just the setup is a little different than the guide and it kind of threw me a bit.

Thanks for looking in and helping.

Last edited: