• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with case fans

ArcticFox1977

Hi fairly new to this. So if you are replying make it for beginners.
Currently have a master cooler TD500 white case
CPU i5 12600KF
MOTHERBOARD- gigabyte z690 gaming x ddr4
PSU- 1000w
RAM- 16gb
I have no CPU cooler yet or GPU. Cooler is on its way and obviously GPU's are hard to come by.
Anyway, cpu installed and ram and psu. Connected the CPU cable to the top right on MOBO and connected the big 24 pin power cable. Connected the USB 3 cable along with the audio and front panel cables. The fans on the case i have connected to the regulator that comes with it and connected this via sata cable to the back of the PSU. The other end of the fans cables i have connected into the socket labeled sys fan 1. I wonder if this is correct? There is also sys fan 2, sys fan 3 and sys fan 4/pump at the bottom. I have checked the manual and the pictures and description arent clear. It states to plug it into the sys fan at the top near the CPU fan socket.
I have tried turning the pc on to see if they spin and light up and nothing. The RAM rgb's light up and look good but nothing else spins or lights up. Please help.

Thanks.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
Hi fairly new to this. So if you are replying make it for beginners.
Currently have a master cooler TD500 white case
CPU i5 12600KF
MOTHERBOARD- gigabyte z690 gaming x ddr4
PSU- 1000w
RAM- 16gb
I have no CPU cooler yet or GPU. Cooler is on its way and obviously GPU's are hard to come by.
Anyway, cpu installed and ram and psu. Connected the CPU cable to the top right on MOBO and connected the big 24 pin power cable. Connected the USB 3 cable along with the audio and front panel cables. The fans on the case i have connected to the regulator that comes with it and connected this via sata cable to the back of the PSU. The other end of the fans cables i have connected into the socket labeled sys fan 1. I wonder if this is correct? There is also sys fan 2, sys fan 3 and sys fan 4/pump at the bottom. I have checked the manual and the pictures and description arent clear. It states to plug it into the sys fan at the top near the CPU fan socket.
I have tried turning the pc on to see if they spin and light up and nothing. The RAM rgb's light up and look good but nothing else spins or lights up. Please help.

Thanks.
you did what? i tried booting w/o a cooler once and found out thermal tripping would not save the chip.

however getting back . .looking at a few pics of your mobo, there should be two headers on top w/ one labeled cpu_fan and the other cpu_opt. either *should* work but go for cpu_fan. (the white header on right):
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

please DO NOT power on w/o a cpu cooler.

in the meantime look in the manual for what lights should light up during boot up here VGA/CPU/BOOT/DRAM:
Capture.PNG

after installing the cooler please. :)

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Man that is brave. Did you just want to see the lights or something?

D

Deleted member 202104

Is the cpu fan socket not for a cooler to go into?? Anyway cooler coming tonight

Yes, the CPU cooler should be connected to CPU Fan.

The cable from your fan controller in your case can go to any of the other fan headers on your motherboard. Sys 1 is fine. You'll be able to control the behavior of all the fan headers from within the bios of your motherboard once all is connected and booted up.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
Is the cpu fan socket not for a cooler to go into?? Anyway cooler coming tonight
the cpu_fan and cpu_opt are both good. anything mentioned as "pump" really just means it can handle 2 amps instead of 1 amp of 12v.

top two are cpu and the bottom four are for the case fans. a motherboard may not boot up unless something is plugged in to either of the top 2. since you mentioned you had a fan plugged into one of them, idk if maybe you need to check the cpu power connections - all you really need is the 8 pin to boot. using the additional 4 pin (ATX 12v_2x2) isn't necessary and i doubt an i5 will need it.

mind those VGA/CPU/BOOT/.DRAM lights - those are to help troubleshooting issues like yours. ;)

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Man that is brave. Did you just want to see the lights or something?

Maybe he wanted to make scrabbled eggs using a Robin's egg?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
As others have said, DO NOT power on a system without a CPU cooler attached. It probably won't damage the CPU if you do it for very brief periods (10s or less) but even then it's not a great idea because the emergency protections that cut power to the CPU only kick in after the temperatures have already exceeded the maximum recommended levels.

Link us to the webpage for your fans and fan controller, or alternatively post pictures of each including the connector types. There are so many combinations of fan controller, RGBLED controller, and ways to power both that it's pretty hard to accurately tell you what needs doing without that.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I have no CPU cooler yet or GPU.
I have tried turning the pc on to see if they spin and light up and nothing.
As I hope you realize now, that was not smart.

If you were lucky, you are fine. But don't be surprised if your CPU fails to boot now. A CPU's thermal protection features can react very quickly, but there is an expectation there is a mounted heatsink, at least. The problem is, a CPU can go from cold to overheated in a just few clock cycles. And the i5-12600KF operates up to 4.9 billion clock cycles every second. One can only hope that before the system realized the CPU was heating up very quickly, that it sensed there was no CPU fan connected to the CPU Fan header and shut down before it got too hot.

Don't do that again!

ArcticFox1977

20220113_080316.jpg20220113_080215.jpg

Top pic is the module for the argb. Power is connected via sata to psu, reset switch connected to change colours. All white cables are coming from the case fans.
2ndbpic mobo, fans connected at bottom in sys fan 1 socket.
Also if you guys see something not right let me know, open to your expertise.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
okay so here's what I see -

In red is just a lighting controller. In blue are the ARGB plugs for the fans connected to the controller, but they do not have anything to do with the fans spinning, only lights.
In yellow are the PWM plugs. Those wires need to be powered by something, presumably a Molex or SATA power connector directly off the PSU.

1642067182076.png

Presumably the button on the lighting controller in red is what turns on/off and then cycles the lighting modes.

You should try to plug the fan PWM connectors (circled yellow) into the SYS FAN 1, 2, 3 headers on the board so that you can make use of fan speed control in the BIOS or in windows.
I would also try the ARGB connectors in blue in your motherboard in these LED sockets:

1642067501009.png

They might not be compatible with the motherboard's LED controller but it's worth at least trying them because if they do work, software control is far better than an internal box that requires you to open your case to make any changes.

ArcticFox1977

okay so here's what I see -

In red is just a lighting controller. In blue are the ARGB plugs for the fans connected to the controller, but they do not have anything to do with the fans spinning, only lights.
In yellow are the PWM plugs. Those wires need to be powered by something, presumably a Molex or SATA power connector directly off the PSU.

View attachment 232206

Presumably the button on the lighting controller in red is what turns on/off and then cycles the lighting modes.

You should try to plug the fan PWM connectors (circled yellow) into the SYS FAN 1, 2, 3 headers on the board so that you can make use of fan speed control in the BIOS or in windows.
I would also try the ARGB connectors in blue in your motherboard in these LED sockets:

View attachment 232207

They might not be compatible with the motherboard's LED controller but it's worth at least trying them because if they do work, software control is far better than an internal box that requires you to open your case to make any changes.
Ok the ones that are yellow are plugged into sys fan 1.
I've connected the rests switch cable into the controller so I can use the reset switch at the front of the case to change light colours/sequence.
Still waiting for cooler to arrive, not turning on till that's connected.
Checked the manual and it says to plug the controller into the pay via sata which I've done, is this wrong?

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Ah okay, so the black wires I've marked with "?" are a fan-header splitter? That's good. If you have enough cable to reach other fan headers you are better off running one fan to each free header, but it's not really a problem to do it with splitters, you just might not get accurate speed control on those fans.

ArcticFox1977

Ah okay, so the black wires I've marked with "?" are a fan-header splitter? That's good. If you have enough cable to reach other fan headers you are better off running one fan to each free header, but it's not really a problem to do it with splitters, you just might not get accurate speed control on those fans.
Yes there are 3 wires from fans going into 1 plug which is into Sys fan 1. Just making sure the controller is OK to be powered with sata to vacuum of psu?

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2

ArcticFox1977

Rofl damn predicted text lol

OK connected the cooler up, and no fans and no lights kick in when we turn it on. Should the cooler light up right away and fans start spinning??

Oh the cooler I've got is the asus tuf gaming lc 240

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
OK connected the cooler up, and no fans and no lights kick in when we turn it on. Should the cooler light up right away and fans start spinning??
Yes. Lights usually default to "on" even if they're not the colours you want. Fans almost always spin up within as second or two of powering on.

I don't have time tonight to do a full diagnostic breakdown but there are threads and guides for that that are better than my forum posts anyway.

You should tear down the system and start simple - CPU, motherboard, RAM, cooler, graphics card, PSU. Just see if you can get it to POST, and get a picture from the graphics card, and get into the BIOS. Take it out of the case if you can't even get that working and try the minimum build using the motherboard box as a workbench.

Rather than try and guess what the problem(s) are from a complex full build, go back to basics and establish that the parts work one at a time. A completely dead board with no fans spinning and no lights can be one of many things, but is likely
  • a bad or incorrectly connected power supply
  • a bad or incorrectly connected power button
  • a ground short between the motherboard and the case
  • a dead motherboard.
  • a dead CPU
If you really get no sign of life out of it, you should get the motherboard's error LEDs to show something with just a motherboard, CPU, and cooler. At the very least the CPU fans should spin, and the diagnostic lights should tell you that there's RAM missing.

ArcticFox1977

I'm just scared to turn it on if the cpu cooler fans don't turn on and don't cool the cou

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
As long as the waterblock of the AIO is secured to the CPU socket, that will provide enough thermal mass to absorb heat for a short while.

You definitely shouldn't try to do any prolonged tasks like flash the bios or install an OS but the CPU will probably take at least 30 seconds to heat up the waterblock from room temperature to 100C or so, which is plenty long enough to look for diagnostic lights on the motherboard.

Just leave it to cool for ~3 minutes between attempts if the pump isn't running.

ArcticFox1977

OK update, everything is working. Fans rgbs cpu cooler looking good. It was a very slight loose cable at the vack of psu. Now I need to wait for gpus to come available. Don't know when that will ve.

Thank you all for you help and quick responses.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Go find a Geforce 750Ti, GTX 950 for under $100 so you can use your PC before it becomes obsolete.

Decent graphics cards are going to cost a lot for several years. I think the price may actually still be going up, so getting yourself in a pre-order queue for a 6500XT or RTX 3050 is a smart move. If you don't want it at MSRP you can likely sell it for $100 more than you pay for it.