1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Help With Deciding On A NEW Router

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JdPower, Feb 22, 2007.

1. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

First I don't know anything about routers just how to following directions on setting them up. :D

My microsoft router took a poop on me and I can't fix it. It powers up but it doesn't hold any internet connection to it. I only used the router for my girlfriends computer (wireless) and my Xbox 360 (wireless). The only time I use cat5 cable with the router is if a friend comes over to LAN. I didn't purchase the router it was given to me by my father has a hand me down i guess :laugh: Now looking at all the routers out there I don't know whats good or whats bad? Idiot I guess when it comes to routers...

I need something with a strong wireless signal for gf's computer and the 360, but also a router that won't lag me while playing games on my computer (CSS). Now I have heard D-Link and Linkys are good routers but seem to really can't find any with good reviews (newegg.com). Looking to spend no more then 50-100-120bucks on a quality strong router that will last. Something on newegg since they ship to me in like a day or so.

www.newegg.com

Thank you I appreciate the help.
    J

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    I have a LinkSys (w/ CISCO TRUE firewalling technology, beyond just NAT alone) BEFSX41, & it's nice!

It has 4 ports for sharing connections to the net & can function as a switch too (not just a 'broadcast to everything' hub, but instead sending signal to requesting MAC addresses, directly, which helps SOME in terms of efficiency on a LAN/WAN when multiple nodes are hooked into it - which helps avoid packet collisions/congestion).

It is GOOD stuff!

Easily configured via a web-browser javascript interface...

As far as 'ease of use': I have hooked it up to TimeWarner & CableVision Cablemodem internetting, piece of "plug-N-play" cake easy, & with a BIT of work bridging it into a PPoE connection to a WESTELL DSL modem for Verizon internet...

As far as compatibility w/ software firewalling: NO problem, & I've tested it against Windows native firewall, & ZoneAlarm, & works perfectly.

APK

P.S.=> Read reviews too, but that is my 'word-of-mouth' to you... apk

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I have a D-Link DIR-635 its a pretty fancy router with wireless as well. Only thing its missing for myself is the ability to use the USB to network our Printer.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I stick with the Linksys WRT54GL. It is a great little router, never had a problem with it, and the 3rd party firmware support is just amazing.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    I read that some reviews that the wireless signal wasn't that great... or it would drop

J

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    <----WRT54G owner. This router just rocks. never drops signal, never needs to be reset, runs cool to.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Guttboy

Guttboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    <-----WRT54G owner as well. No issues...run 2 computers hardwire and 2 wirelessly. Pretty easy setup.

10 Year Member at TPU