• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need help with dual monitor problem

JW116

my parents computer
Compaq Presario
SR1420NX
Windows 7 Ultimate
3 PCI Slots

It has an onboard graphics card that will not work when i add a graphics card to any of the PCI slots. When I only put in one graphics card and plug the monitor into it the pc boots and runs fine. So here's the problem. I have two different graphics cards and only the one in slot one will work. The cards are, as i understand it, Intel Trident Diamond Multimedia 975 (incorporating vga, s-video, coaxial, and 3.5mm ports) and e-GeForce4 MX440-8X 64MB DDR PCI - (064-P1-NV89-LX). Now in my several hours of searching what I have found is that Windows 7 allows for multiple cards by multiple manufacturers. My problem is no matter what I do the only one that works is slot 1. In the device manager the other one always says code 10: the device cannot start. So I am assuming is has something to do with the drivers but I have exhausted myself with this thing. If anyone can help at all I would surely appreciate it.

Hardware List:
e-GeForce4 MX440-8X 64MB DDR PCI - (064-P1-NV89-LX)
Diamond Multimedia DM975
Acer Monitor
Samsung Monitor