• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with new Modem/Router

For reasons of ignorance and procrastination, I have been paying $5.49 a month for the last couple of years to lease a DSL modem/router. It's a Westell 327W.

I was hoping someone could recommend me something to replace it, either a separate router and modem, or another all in one unit, or if it's as good as it gets I would just buy one like it. Something that works better would always be nice. I'd like to spend under $100.

As far as a router goes, my PC is connected directly to the router, along with my WD Live box. My wife uses her laptop and iPad wirelessly.

Thanks for the help, I'd do it myself, but this is above my knowledge set, and I don't really wish to spend the time learning:)

Processor Intel Core i7 5820k
Motherboard MSI X99S-GAMING7
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory 16GB G.SKILL DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1070 Gaming G1
Storage Samsung 840 Evo 256GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair 800D
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Filco Majestouch
Software Windows 10
To be honest if you aren't looking to do anything particularly amazing with your network you can pretty much buy any DSL router/combo device out there. I can't really make a reccomendation from experience as I normally spend more than $100 on a router. However I would advise you to purchase a router with Wireless N capabilities (your current one is only g), as it has substantial benefits over previous iterations.

Thanks, Rhyseh.

The lack of interest in this thread made me do a little research, which was probably a good thing. I ended up getting a cheap Chinese model, a TP-Link. So far so good, in fact, it works much better than it's predecessor. My computer used to suffer from poor ping and bandwidth while the Wife was watching Netflix on the WD-TV, to the point I couldn't play BF3 or Star Trek Online at the same time. For some reason, this new router solved those issues.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Wish you would have asked bud. I got an extra Belkin just laying about. ALTHOUGH that is a VERY nice DSL Modem+Router, 1Gb ports Wifi N+, what more would you need?! You did well.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003