1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need help with OCing my old pc!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by weref, Apr 17, 2009.

1. weref New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello, i have a PC that i'm try to OC.

CPU: intel P4 1.8Ghz
    MB: asrock P4i65G
    MEMORY: SpecTek 256MB ddr400 X2
    VGA: Club3d 9600 256MB

After some reading and trying i overclocked the cpu from 1.8 to 2.25 (125X18). i want to push it more but the bios OC options are locked.
    how do i deal with all the locked BIOS options? specially with the voltage and memory. can i unlock it?
    what exectly PSB:DRAM means (i have 3:4)? how do i change it?
    how can i figure the best perfomances of the memory numbers (mine are 2.5-3-3-6)?
    what should i do with the "spread spectrum" and the "memory flexibility" in BIOS options?
    i red a lot about how to overclock but somehow no instructions were good for my computer.

as you see i tried a lot and have a lot of questions so if somebody can post a guide for how to overclock the computer with hardware like mine i will appriciate it a lot, and i mean aaaaaaaa llllllllloooooooootttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also i attached pics of the bios and cpu-z.
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    FSB : DRAM ratio is the ratio that calculates your memory speed using your FSB. If you were running a 1:1 ratio at 200FSB, your memory would run at 200MHz (DDR400 after the x2 multiplication for DDR memory). Mutliply the first number and divide the second. for example

(133)3 : (399)2

133 times 3 is 399, divide that by 2 and you get 199.5 which is the MHz speed your memory speed will run at, so multiply it by 2 to figure out the DDR speed and you're back at 399 again

not sure about unlocking anything else in the bios... ASRock wasn't all that great back in the day

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. weref New Member

Thanks Received:
    devider

Thanks man,
    I think I got what the devider means, but can ichange it?

can anybody help me with the rest of the OCing?

4. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I dunno if you can change it. BIOSes are always a little confusing when you first get into them, even for seasoned overclockers like me. Different bioses name thier options differently. On my old DFI board, instead of simply saying FSB, it said something like CPU/C51 HTT frequency or some such hollibaloo. It looks like the option you are looking for is at the top of the second screen but there are 2 problems with that.
    1. it's greyed out
    2. ddr266 is the slowest ddr memory made so you can't drop it any further.

It looks to me like you're stuck playing with the FSB and what you get is what you get. You need a BIOS with better options, which means a new motherboard, and faster memory. Honestly at this point that rig isn't really worth upgrading. Just see what you can do with the clocks and start saving. For about $400 you can build a brand new tower with halfway decent parts that can get you into playing Crysis on at least medium settings with no lag.

10 Year Member at TPU