• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with RX 570 purchased from a miner

Wolf Pacifier

Hello!

Recently I have purchased Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+ 4gb from a miner. Price was really good. But seems like card have an issue. I never had AMD card but after I spent couple hours on Google search, I found out that 1 of 2 the GPU BIOS chips was flashed and I investigated how to flash "non-mining" BIOS back. As I understood... 1 of the BIOS chips is write protected and contains reference BIOS. I didn't touch that BIOS. I flashed other one with BIOS taken from database for this model https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/191336/sapphire-rx570-4096-170323

BIOS has been flashed successfully but for some reason games randomly crashing from time to time with "WattMan settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure" error or video driver crash. Then, I made backup "reference" BIOS from write protected chip and flashed it into non write protected BIOS. GPU started with referece clocks and power limit, everything seems fine but... Games randomly crashing again, even with this BIOS. However, games works fine with same BIOS if I switch to write protected.

Any ideas why second BIOS affects stability even when stable BIOS was flashed in?

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
I'm not familiar with flashing GPU cards but isn't the 2nd BIOS supposed to be the original one? As in, the 1st BIOS is supposed to match the 2nd BIOS so that, when flashing 1st and some problem occurs, there's a backup?

Anyway, calling @eidairaman1 to this topic since, AFAIK, the dude has the most knowledge about this sort of stuff around TPU.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I'm not familiar with flashing GPU cards but isn't the 2nd BIOS supposed to be the original one? As in, the 1st BIOS is supposed to match the 2nd BIOS so that, when flashing 1st and some problem occurs, there's a backup?

Anyway, calling @eidairaman1 to this topic since, AFAIK, the dude has the most knowledge about this sort of stuff around TPU.

He prob put wrong bios in,

3 things to be tried

Wolf Pacifier

One BIOS is "OC" BIOS with factory overclock 1340/7000/50% power limit. Other one is "Silent" BIOS with reference clocks 1244/7000/20% power limit.

First, I thougth GPU is failing bacause of factory overclock or something, but then I flashed Silent BIOS in OC chip and GPU is still failing in games.

He prob put wrong bios in,

3 things to be tried

TechPowerUp have only 1 BIOS in database for 4gb Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+. Even if downloaded BIOS is corrupted or wrong... GPU should work fine with extracted BIOS from 2nd chip... But GPU is unstable in games in this case too. I can't understand why GPU with the same BIOS rom (reference one) is stable in "Silent" mode and unstable in "OC" mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: HTC

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
One BIOS is "OC" BIOS with factory overclock 1340/7000/50% power limit. Other one is "Silent" BIOS with reference clocks 1244/7000/20% power limit.

First, I thougth GPU is failing bacause of factory overclock or something, but then I flashed Silent BIOS in OC chip and GPU is still failing in games.

TechPowerUp have only 1 BIOS in database for 4gb Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+. Even if downloaded BIOS is corrupted or wrong... GPU should work fine with extracted BIOS from 2nd chip... But GPU is unstable in games in this case too. I can't understand why GPU with the same BIOS rom (reference one) is stable in "Silent" mode and unstable in "OC" mode.

Wrong, they have way more than that.

Reset everything back to defaults in windows.

Take a picture of sku number off of the back of the card. Take the heatsink off of the card and take a picture of one of the ram chips, make sure all information on the sku number and ram chip are clear and readable. Upload them here.

Clean gpu die and heatsink, apply fresh thermal compound to gpu die, reattach heatsink.

I will find the correct bios.

Both sides of the card can be flashed. You bought it from a miner

Last edited: