• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with ThrottleStop

hello. im in need of some severe help here. My laptop has a couple problems. 1: the FID, C0% and Temps are jumping around crazy. the FID can go from 9.0-22.0 in a second and the C0% goes from about 3.1 to 13.2 in a second whereas my temps go from 62-68 in 1-2 seconds and so on. im not sure whats happening here but it clearly isnt that normal. im also new to this and have no idea what to do. my 2nd problem, as you can see from the Limits section some severe stuff is happening. i've read guides but none seem to help directly on the matter at hand and from what i've been reading it is not good at all. can somebody please help? or atleast explain what the individual sections are so that i might get an understanding of it?

Attachments

• Limits problems.PNG
    Limits problems.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 319

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
but it clearly isnt that normal
It is normal when a manufacturer builds laptops with the 9750H and only includes barely adequate cooling. The Intel specified TDP for these CPUs is 45 Watts. In order for this CPU to run at 45W, it will have to continuously throttle to stay under that limit. That is why you see so much stuff lighting up in Limit Reasons. I see power limit throttling (PL1 and PL2), current limit throttling (EDP OTHER), some THERMAL throttling when the CPU gets too hot and some BD PROCHOT throttling when something else in this under designed laptop gets too hot. Like a complete smorgasbord of throttling reasons.

These CPUs are capable of running at over 80W or 90W. If the cooling system or power delivery circuits cannot keep up, it must throttle. Consumers see the advertised specs and get all excited but the reality is much different.

the FID can go from 9.0-22.0 in a second
The 9750H can go from 900 MHz to over 4000 MHz in under 100 ms. Intel CPUs are very dynamic. If power consumption goes from 5W to 90W when this happens, it should be no surprise to see temperatures rapidly jump up or down when the load subsides.

Your CPU appears to be running normal. Many users turn to ThrottleStop to tame these hot running beasts. Things like reducing the CPU voltage helps and running these CPUs lower than their rated speed can also help. Some manufacturers have started blocking the ability to control these CPUs so useful tricks like CPU voltage control may no longer be available to you and your laptop.

Post lots of pictures and provide way more details about what sort of problems you are having.

i understand. thank you very much for the information. i just found it odd that all those different values changing every single second from high to low numbers but it seems it wasnt.
but i do have a question though.

Things like reducing the CPU voltage helps and running these CPUs lower than their rated speed can also help.

so in regards to reducing the CPU voltage, i've been trying this to reduce the CPU temperature and it seems to have no effect, not really. they're still up around the 89-92 celsius mark. but just reducing a little bit more than this results in a crash. specifically around the -145 to -135 mV offset voltage mark. Without impacting my performance that much what can i really do? in the pictures im on more than -115 mV. also read i could undervolt the IGPU Unslice to rougly the same as the Intel GPU and that didnt make the biggest change.

Post lots of pictures and provide way more details about what sort of problems you are having.

as for this, i'll remember it the next time.

Attachments

• Throttle Stopper CPU Cache.PNG
    Throttle Stopper CPU Cache.PNG
    231.6 KB · Views: 365
  • Throttle Stopper CPU Core.PNG
    Throttle Stopper CPU Core.PNG
    229 KB · Views: 363
  • Throttle Stopper Intel GPU.PNG
    Throttle Stopper Intel GPU.PNG
    228.9 KB · Views: 336
  • Throttle Stopper IGPU Unslice.PNG
    Throttle Stopper IGPU Unslice.PNG
    227.8 KB · Views: 345

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
When undervolting the Intel GPU, usually you need to undervolt the iGPU equally with the Intel GPU. You do not need to undervolt the Intel GPU equally with the CPU core and cache. If you use your computer for gaming, you are probably using an Nvidia GPU so undervolting the Intel GPU typically does not gain you too much. I would save adjusting this until you know exactly what the CPU core and CPU cache are capable of.

With the 9750H, you can adjust the core and cache offset voltages independently. If the CPU cache is stable at -100mV, many users have been able to push the core closer to -200 mV. Some Intel CPUs do not benefit from this but the 9750H sure seems to. Run something consistent like Cinebench R20 for testing purposes.

See how far you can push the core offset voltage and watch what happens to your Cinebench scores. Back the cache offset voltage off a little so it is not the limiting factor. Once you know what the core is capable of, then you can go back and adjust the cache voltage.

it seems to have no effect
Your CPU is capable of way more than your cooling is capable of. Reducing the voltage always helps but if you are power limit throttling, you might not notice any difference in temperatures. Reducing the voltage allows your CPU to run faster or cooler. If you are being limited by a 45W turbo power limit, after you reduce the voltage, you are still going to be limited by the same 45W power limit. Same power consumption means you will see the same temperatures.

Intel mobile CPUs continuously adjust their speed hundreds of times per second based on the turbo and current power limits, based on how many cores are active and based on the CPU temperature. Most monitoring software only samples the CPU once per second. That is not a very good indication of what the CPU has been doing during the last second. Kind of like trying to take a picture of a dragster at the end of the track. Mostly just a blur.

When undervolting the Intel GPU, usually you need to undervolt the iGPU equally with the Intel GPU. You do not need to undervolt the Intel GPU equally with the CPU core and cache. If you use your computer for gaming, you are probably using an Nvidia GPU so undervolting the Intel GPU typically does not gain you too much. I would save adjusting this until you know exactly what the CPU core and CPU cache are capable of.

With the 9750H, you can adjust the core and cache offset voltages independently. If the CPU cache is stable at -100mV, many users have been able to push the core closer to -200 mV. Some Intel CPUs do not benefit from this but the 9750H sure seems to. Run something consistent like Cinebench R20 for testing purposes.

See how far you can push the core offset voltage and watch what happens to your Cinebench scores. Back the cache offset voltage off a little so it is not the limiting factor. Once you know what the core is capable of, then you can go back and adjust the cache voltage.

Your CPU is capable of way more than your cooling is capable of. Reducing the voltage always helps but if you are power limit throttling, you might not notice any difference in temperatures. Reducing the voltage allows your CPU to run faster or cooler. If you are being limited by a 45W turbo power limit, after you reduce the voltage, you are still going to be limited by the same 45W power limit. Same power consumption means you will see the same temperatures.

Intel mobile CPUs continuously adjust their speed hundreds of times per second based on the turbo and current power limits, based on how many cores are active and based on the CPU temperature. Most monitoring software only samples the CPU once per second. That is not a very good indication of what the CPU has been doing during the last second. Kind of like trying to take a picture of a dragster at the end of the track. Mostly just a blur.

Thank you for the help and for making me understand. I will be trying this tomorrow.

If you are being limited by a 45W turbo power limit, after you reduce the voltage, you are still going to be limited by the same 45W power limit. Same power consumption means you will see the same temperatures.

okay so i've been trying to change the core and cache independently, but it seems like what you said. that im seeing the same temperatures. so is there a way to reduce/increase this max turbo ratio limit?