• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with undervolting

Adiyogi

System: asus x553ma
CPU: pentium n3540 (2.16 with 2.66 turbo)
GPU: integrated
Recently i noticed this netbook having home temp issues so i tried to reapply thermal paste, but i wasn't able to unscrew the heatsink, so i decided to let it be till i get some professional help.
Then yesterday i came across this software, i decided to test it out. But i couldn't find the right parameters available for my cpu that were discussed in various guides available online.
I want to undervolt this cpu, and yes i went through the manual but i couldn't figure it out as the parameters available to tweak on my system were not discussed to full extent to make anything out.

Note: CPU is set to high performance with performance state min and max set to 100%, OS is win 10. Also a screenshot of available parameters for my cpu is included below.

Attachments

• throttlestop.PNG
    throttlestop.PNG
    33.6 KB · Views: 830
System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
i am no pro for throttlestop:
(home) temp issue? on cpu + gpu?
when do ya have temp issues(during games or ?) and how or with what software are ya reading it?

Adiyogi

i am no pro for throttlestop:
(home) temp issue? on cpu + gpu?
when do ya have temp issues(during games or ?) and how or with what software are ya reading it?
on load (mostly while playing games) temp reaches to 92-93' c
and when idle it is always near 60' c
Intel's threshold for this cpu is 100-105'c

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
is there still warranty on this notebook?
if not-
-maybe try the thermal paste change again

Last edited:

Adiyogi

is there still warranty on this notebook?
if not-
-maybe try the thermal paste change again

Thanks for your time but this is just a disassembly video, and that "magic fix" mentioned is related to laptop not turning on. Nothing for me there :D
As i have mentioned earlier, i am not able to remove the screws from the heatsink, they are stuck so reapplying thermal paste isn't an option currently

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Most of the online guides you will find are for the Core i CPUs. The Pentium N3540 is a little different.

You should be able to adjust the voltage with that setting.

Did you deliberately check Disable Turbo? This will reduce your maximum performance. I can understand if you have poor cooling you might have to do this but it is usually not necessary. These CPUs are not very fast so they can run reliably at very high core temperatures without any problems. The right side of ThrottleStop should show what VID voltage your CPU is using.

Like most Intel CPUs, the N3540 can run reliably up to 100°C so no worries. They will automatically slow down a little if it ever gets this hot.

https://ark.intel.com/products/82105/Intel-Pentium-Processor-N3540-2M-Cache-up-to-2_66-GHz?q=N3540

Adiyogi

Most of the online guides you will find are for the Core i CPUs. The Pentium N3540 is a little different.

You should be able to adjust the voltage with that setting.

Did you deliberately check Disable Turbo? This will reduce your maximum performance. I can understand if you have poor cooling you might have to do this but it is usually not necessary. These CPUs are not very fast so they can run reliably at very high core temperatures without any problems. The right side of ThrottleStop should show what VID voltage your CPU is using.

Like most Intel CPUs, the N3540 can run reliably up to 100°C so no worries. They will automatically slow down a little if it ever gets this hot.

https://ark.intel.com/products/82105/Intel-Pentium-Processor-N3540-2M-Cache-up-to-2_66-GHz?q=N3540
Thanks for helping me out, i would just like to clear that for undervolting do i need to reduce the VID or increase it?
i mean my system is fully stable from Voltage ID - 0.5850 to Voltage ID - 0.6450, at which end will my system be cooler, i myself have set it up to 0.5850 thinking that its a smaller value than 0.6450 so this must be undervolting, am i right?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
i myself have set it up to 0.5850 thinking that its a smaller value than 0.6450 so this must be undervolting, am i right?
You are right. These CPUs are designed for extremely low power consumption. You are probably not going to see a huge difference by under volting but less voltage = less power consumption = less heat. As long as your CPU remains 100% stable without any blue screens, I would lower the voltage as much as possible.