• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need insights on a backplate temperatures(GTX760/770/970)

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Hello, fellow TPU community members!

I will start with a short introduction to my situation, so you might understand a bit better what I'm trying to ask and why...

Here it goes:
Ever since 2009 I've been using low end videocards personally, so my last experience with true "gaming" hardware ended with a GTX275. Ever since then I only fix 'em occasionally. Recently I have purchased quite a few broken videocards, most of which were easily repairable, but I like to do everything right.... so I also perform somewhat intense stress-testing afterwards.

Most of the stuff, like GTX750Ti and below is no problem, but when it comes to mid/high-end cards - I'm a bit lost. I have several MSI cards with a full-cover backplate (such as GTX760TF, GTX770TF, few GTX780's and 970's) with power problems. I've managed to repair the VRM circuitry and everything seems to work fine, but during testing the backplate gets quite hot quite fast even on an open stand (>60°C according to my "scientific fingerpoking method"). GPU temps are normal at full load after 60min Unigine Heaven (~60 for GTX760 and ~67° for GTX770). The only thing that contacts the backplate is the VRAM. All VRMs are on the side of the GPU and have a separate heatsink. No overheating there (at least none anymore)...

Now, the question: What is the "normal" backplate temperature on these or similar cards, and what's the t° threshold at which I should be really worried? If you have temperature sensor on the backplate or you happen to have a pyrometer laying around (so you can give me a more accurate number) - that would be awesome.

I just ordered a cheap laser pyrometer, and still have to test a 4GB version of R9 270X and GTX970, so I will most likely update this post a bit later.

Thx in advance for all of your help.

Regards,

@silentbogo.