• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need New Battery for Thinkpad T60

Which Battery

• Official Lenovo 9-cell - $180

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Amazon 6-cell - $125

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ebay 6-cell - $45

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ok, my battery died earlier in the year. Doesn't hold a charge at all anymore. Turns out the battery only has a 1 year warrenty. So I need a new one.

The issue is that a new battery new from Lenovo costs $180, which I think is a complete ripoff. I estimate the value of my T60 at around $400. No way I'm gonna spend 45% of my laptop's net worth on one part.

So I looked for alternatives. Used batteries scare me because I don't know what kind of condition they are in or if they're legit or not. There seem to be more batteries for sale on ebay than laptops.... Sketchy.

I found this battery for $125 Amazon. It looks legit, I mean it's through Amazon right? Does that even mean anything? I also found one on Ebay for $45. It also looks legit, there's pics of the actual battery.

Now I'm confused about what to get. I just need a battery that'll last me 1 year. But $180 is an awful lot to fork over. But I can't really tell how legit the $45 one is. So which do I choose?? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
hmm...

i have one from a z61.

wonder if it will work?

what you can do is...

take yours apart carefully.

see what cells are inside.

you can likely find FAR better ones on ebay or at a electronics store and replace them

if done proporly with better cells you could end up with a "hot rodded" 4-6hour battery for under $30.

I dunno about the Z61 battery...

But replacing the cells myself sounds awesome! I think I could totally do that. Do you know of any links that might give some additional info?

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
theres a how to on instructables website i saw about 8 months ago on how they did it with a drill battery pack.

its same on a lappy battery, just different cells.

they will look like AA batterys most likely but probably alot more juice... day 3.6v each give or take.

you just take a few pics of it before you tear the cells apart so you know exactly how to put it back...

then unsolder the cells and put the new ones back in the same configuration.

it will be tough getting the plastic apart without breaking it but you just need to take your time getting it done.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't realize that the Z61 battery is listed on the same page I linked to in my original post.

@ Fit:
I'd definitely be interested in that one that you have. Any way you can test it? And could I get a pic too? I just wanna be sure it looks the same as mine. Thanks.