1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need new keyboard and mouse - Mostly for gaming :P

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GLeN, Jan 28, 2008.

1. GLeN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well me and my bro are sick of having this dodgy keyboard along with this mouse that spins randomly at the worst possible moment :laugh: Im not so sure what stuff to get, I noticed the g15 keyboard thought it looked great, the Fatal1ty Gaming Keyboard also looks good. But other than looks I dont really know what to look for lol

As for mouses(mice? :p) Theres alot of selection, but I want just the best for cheap pretty much, I dont care about them interchangable weight system haha. I would like more than just the 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. If it came with other buttons that i can bind them for that would be great :eek:

Sorry if you cant decyper that mess, cheers :toast:

I have a budget of around 100$ or 50gbp, but its extendable if needed

2. Pyeti New Member

Thanks Received:
    imo a keyboard is a keyboard so id get a quality brand but you dont need to go overboard. for the mouse on the other hand you could get a logitech g5 or even a g9 if the budget can be stretched for it

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    G15 "refresh" keyboard and G5 "refresh" mouse :D...

not sure how much it will cost for you though.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    G-5 mouse and the Merc stealth keyboard

5. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    logitech g5 mouse and g15 keyboard.

6. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The spinning of the mouse could be caused by the surface you're using it on. Put a piece of paper under it see if that changes anything.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. GLeN New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ It worked :p but the scroll wheel will go up down then up up down, when you spin it hehe, SO ill lookinto getting the mouse first, G5 then :D thanks

8. Franklinwallbrown

Franklinwallbrown New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only advice I can give is about my Razor Copperhead. The only gaming mouse I've ever used (which isn't that long). It is, however, very nice. I've never used a gaming keyboard. What am I missing?

9. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Saitek Eclipse backlight keyboard (totally awesome, i've been abusing mine for 13 months, the keys are still springy and no letters have worn off :eek:)

Microsoft wireless mouse - despite the "Microsoft" in the name, they're totally amazing mice.

Gaming surface - i'm using an Everglide DKT, my mate's got an Everglide Titan... Any gaming surface is definately recommended - the soft material type ones are just amazing, dead quiet your mouse slides over it nicely, warms up once you've had you hand on it for like 2mins and they're MASSIVE!

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Graogrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Franklin, not all that much really--some custom keys and macro functions. As long as your keyboard is capable of recognizing multiple keystrokes simultaneously it's pretty much all good.

The G15 does have a spiffy LCD display that can be useful. For example, if you use Ventrilo while gaming it can show you who is currently talking.

As for mice, Razer does make some really nice ones. Personally I use a Microsoft wireless laser mouse with an appropriate mousepad. It's got good resolution, can go months between battery replacements, and I found it on sale for $30.

11. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Mouse either a G5, or one of the Razers depending on which feels better in your hand.

Keyboard. Well I've got a Saitek Eclipse which is nice. Probably won't fit into your budget with that G5, but if it does I recommend it :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. GLeN New Member

Thanks Received:
    I decided to get the mouse and mouse mat
    Here is a few links to mats, this are what i have to choose from as the site has free shipping and i already have an account there.
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/31237...ord=Everglide+Titan+Monstermat+Fnatic+Edition
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/1009122/Everglide-Titan-Monster-Mat/Product.html
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/1009128/Everglide-Titan-Gaming-Mat/Product.html
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/842103/Razer-Mantis-Speed-Mat/Product.html

Sounds silly but which one will be best for me and my g5 LOL

13. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I got a Sytek keybaord, blue backlit. And a Logitech G815 mouse I believe, you can change mouse resolutions on the fly, and the side buttons are programable. WIth my big manly hands though I bump the buttons sometimes at the most inoppertune time.

10 Year Member at TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  14. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    none of the above, those mats are a rip off.

go to the dollar store and get one of thos kitchen table placemats with the rough backing and use it turned back side up. the rough texture gives the mouse great sensativity to movement and the large size helps if you move around a lot when gaming. i find they make the best mouse mats and only cost $2

if you want a free mat you could do like my neighbor and just use the classified section from the newspaper, its already sized right because its folded in half and it makes a great mat.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Graogrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Any mat that is marketed for laser mice should do you just fine. The one I use cost about $5 and change.

Don't get one with a cloth surface--those wear out more quickly and stain more easily.

16. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    My mouse pad was a few bucks as well serves its purpose well.

17. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
  18. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    G5 is da bomb not sure bout the keyboard tho.

19. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well its simple, it has backlit keys, volume control and standard key layout. I dont like fancy kb's thats why I got it :) I know my dad loves his G15 kb, ive used it before but it has too many buttons for me :p

20. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I love my G15 as it has major advantages with 18 macro keys. It has the screen... awesome for BF2, BF2142, and TF2. I have the MX1000, which was replaced by the MXRevo. The MX series is awesome and I will buy that again.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    now i understand how important a good quality and good looking keyboard/mouse combo is but let me tell you a lot of the selling points for these high end boards is garbage. ive had a crappy old microsoft keyboard that i bought for 15 bucks 8 years and it works awesome still. ive beaten it to crap and spilled all sorts of junk into it and it still responds well. and since it is so old im not worried about anything happening to it. so just a thought before you decide! :toast:

keakar says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  22. GLeN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Stain? what are you doing on the pc hehe jk

Yeh thanks so I have one of those plastic tablet mat things, and they work lol thanks for that one, but when im in the lan centre next time if i see one I might just buy it just because im awkward :laugh:

Definitely Getting the g5!! thanks all

The kb can wait :nutkick:

23. Grimskull New Member

Thanks Received:
    Glen,

I have the Logitech MX518 mouse and aMicrosoft Digital Media Pro keyboard.
    Mouse: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=307658
    Keyboard: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=306323

The mouse is absolutly brillant. It is soooo light and comfortable, esp when gaming. On the fly res changing and multiple button on it are fantastic. €46 on Komplett. Read the reviews if you dont believe me... i have bought loads of them for PC's i have built for people.

Keyboard is very good two, no probs with it..... comfortable layout too.

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. GLeN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheers mate, its cheaper for me and since my da lives down south P&P will be cheaper again hehe
    Do you have any experience with this mouse and the g5? Its down to these, after i research the mx518.

Sorry if it seems im draggin this out :laugh:

25. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I have both. MX518 is a great mouse. The only reason I upgraded to the G5 was because they refreshed it.

Don't get the original G5, get the 2007 version (the blue one).

The differences between the MX518 is the 518 is optical and 1600dpi. the G5 is laser and 2000dpi.
    G5 has weights
    G5 has a non-slip surface unlike the MX518 which can get slippy after a long gaming session.

I prefer the G5 to no end, but if price is that much of an issue. Get the MX518. Both are great mice, the G5 is just better ;)

10 Year Member at TPU