• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need recommendations on a decent 32-48 inch Gaming monitor / 4k Tv

SMR

Greetings to all

I'm looking to purchase a gaming monitor that could also (possibly) double up as a 4k TV for a living room setup.

I've watched researched reviews for the:

LG CX 48 inch Class 4K Smart OLED

It looks impressive, albeit at a steeper price (and I'm struggling to find it available for sale in my region - South Africa).

I'm looking to game at 1440p (once GPU'S come down in price) but in the meantime my current rig can handle 1080p @60fps easily.

So my future upgrade path is clear with the PC and so I think buying a decent monitor now and GPU as soon as prices come reasonably down MAY BE worth it - but again I'm a little unsure on that, so I'm still pondering my options before committing my hard earned cash into a new gaming monitor.

Any advice/ feedback/ options that community members could offer on this topic would be highly appreciated. Thanks

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
You might want to wait a bit longer, as there are a lot of new models coming out this year with HDMI 2.1.
Have a look here for news on all the new TVs etc.

This thing is also coming out this year. Maybe a tad big though?

Review of the current model.

Philips also has this one.

If you're happy to go smaller, maybe something like this?

Reactions: SMR

SMR

Thanks for those recommendations. The Philips Momentum (the newer model you added in the link description) actually looks amazing and I'm very tempted. I think patience is definitely a virtue for 2021 - waiting for GPU prices and component prices to drop (hopefully) and also for some decent HDMI 2.1 monitors to come out, as you said.

So two more questions:

1. With an aim at 1440p gaming (at least), would you say that with a RTX 3060 / 3060 TI, a 6 core CPU min and 16gb, that's a sweet spot (in terms of a PC rig) for unleashing the full potential of these large monitors?

2. Do you feel the price of the larger monitor is worth the heftier investment, in terms of pure gaming enjoyment on the larger display? I admit I'm hesitant to go any smaller, as in to 24-32 inch screens, since I've been gaming on a 55inch Samsung 4k Tv and I suspect I'm now set on that size.

What's are you thoughts on the above?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Lots of nice new tech planned for release this year, also at nice new price points...

I would say avoid the 3060 if possible, it has a massive performance gap to the 3060Ti. Maybe even consider the 6700XT, if you can get one at launch pricing.

As for screen size, I guess it comes down to what you like/what you're used to, I have a 27" 4K screen and couldn't go down in resolution from that.

System Name Forgal
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus RoG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 4x16 GiB Crucial Ballistix PC4-28800, 16-18-18-38
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090
Storage 2 TB ADATA XPG SX8200Pro + 4 TB S860 + NAS
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF + LG 32UD99-W
Case Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
Audio Device(s) Audioengine HD3 + S8
Power Supply Super Flower SF-1000F14TP Leadex V P130X-1000 Pro
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2
Keyboard Leopold FC900R OE mx-brown
Samsung Q70T (starting at 55") does 120 Hz FreeSync Premium Pro. Note that FreeSync over HDMI works with consoles and with AMD Radeon graphics cards, but not with GeForce.

Last edited:

SMR

Samsung Q70T (starting at 55") does 120 Hz FreeSync Premium Pro. Note that FreeSync over HDMI works with consoles and with AMD Radeon graphics cards, but not with GeForce.
By the sounds of it that Samsung Q70T actually another good option - since I've owned two previous Samsung monitors - but both older 1080p models - a 27" and another one.

I must admit that the brand imo is reliable. The one concern I do have is the FreeSync vs. G-sync debate. Is this really an issue these days though - the only thing that I've ever thought of is that freesync kinda ties one into a making a major GPU purchase (AMD cards vs.Geforce)- as you've pointed out?

To be honest what I've researched on the pro's / cons of FreeSync vs. G-Sync has actually made my own decisions on which to choose much harder. There are such strong arguments for BOTH. So my major question is whether using a FreeSync monitor - especially in the context of my original post - 1440P gaming - will actually steer my ultimate choice of Gaming monitor and in turn forcelly determine my choice of future GPU upgrade (brand wise I mean) - since I plan on buying the monitor FIRST and using my current rig with a GTX970 4gb GPU, then only much later, possibly early next year, upgrading my current GPU to a faster model (because it'll take me that long to save up the cash)?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I was stuck abroad for a few months last year, courtesy of the pandemic, borrowed a computer and bought an Acer Freesync display with 2560x1440 resolution. Computer had an Nvidia card in it. Only had an HDMI cable initially (as Acer kindly only supplied a DVI cable) and the screen would only do 120Hz, as that's an HDMI 2.0 limitation at this resolution. Swapped in a DP 1.4 cable and it would run 144Hz and allow me to enable G-Sync. With HDMI G-Sync wasn't an option. This was on a non G-Sync approve display I should add.
This is where the Philips displays come in, as they are displays, not TVs, so they have DP input.

SMR

I was stuck abroad for a few months last year, courtesy of the pandemic, borrowed a computer and bought an Acer Freesync display with 2560x1440 resolution. Computer had an Nvidia card in it. Only had an HDMI cable initially (as Acer kindly only supplied a DVI cable) and the screen would only do 120Hz, as that's an HDMI 2.0 limitation at this resolution. Swapped in a DP 1.4 cable and it would run 144Hz and allow me to enable G-Sync. With HDMI G-Sync wasn't an option. This was on a non G-Sync approve display I should add.
This is where the Philips displays come in, as they are displays, not TVs, so they have DP input.
So you've just given me a very interesting and insightful perspective on this issue. Awesomeness. Thanks!

System Name Forgal
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus RoG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 4x16 GiB Crucial Ballistix PC4-28800, 16-18-18-38
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090
Storage 2 TB ADATA XPG SX8200Pro + 4 TB S860 + NAS
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF + LG 32UD99-W
Case Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
Audio Device(s) Audioengine HD3 + S8
Power Supply Super Flower SF-1000F14TP Leadex V P130X-1000 Pro
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2
Keyboard Leopold FC900R OE mx-brown
There's no perceptible benefit to expensive proprietary G-Sync vs. inexpensive VESA standard adaptive sync (aka AMD's FreeSync).
Since NVidia finally quit blocking it in their drivers in 2019, you can get variable refresh rate with a GeForce 10xx or newer card over DisplayPort using a FreeSync monitor. I'm doing that right now. Look for a monitor that meets the "Freesync Premium" performance level of 120+ Hz refresh and Low Framerate Compensation.
If you have a Freesync monitor and a DisplayPort 1.4 cable, you're fine with either a Radeon or GeForce graphics card.. However, Freesync over HDMI is a Radeon or console thing.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
My suggestion is wait until black friday 2021 and grab yourself the 48in LG OLED C1, you will never want to upgrade monitor again (well maybe :D)
Got myself the LG OLED CX 48in recently for 1200usd and the experience is fantastic. 1200usd is about the same money I spent for the LG 34GN850-B and the LG OLED beat this hands down, variable refresh also works flawlessly on Nvidia GPU over HDMI. (LG C9 and CX are certified to work with Nvidia's VRR)
Also I would recommend an RTX 3000 GPU to go along with the LG OLED, DLSS is godsend at 4k.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
I use it in my RTX 2080 Super with my LG OLED so not entirely.
Yep. Nvidia folded and adopted freesync support.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I use it in my RTX 2080 Super with my LG OLED so not entirely.
Uhm, that's a G-Sync compatible display though. I think the discussion here is for non approved displays.
Nvidia even mentions that some displays require an HDMI VRR driver.
I wish Nvidia could fix their filtering or data input on that site though, as they have five separate entries for 4K.

Maybe this is another option for the OP?

There's also this, but from my understanding it's not very good.

Last edited:

SMR

My suggestion is wait until black friday 2021 and grab yourself the 48in LG OLED C1, you will never want to upgrade monitor again (well maybe :D)
Got myself the LG OLED CX 48in recently for 1200usd and the experience is fantastic. 1200usd is about the same money I spent for the LG 34GN850-B and the LG OLED beat this hands down, variable refresh also works flawlessly on Nvidia GPU over HDMI. (LG C9 and CX are certified to work with Nvidia's VRR)
Also I would recommend an RTX 3000 GPU to go along with the LG OLED, DLSS is godsend at 4k.
This would be EXACTLY what I would do if I lived in the WESTERN countries or alternatively the Far East... however in my neck of the woods (Africa) the concept of Black Friday is mostly limited to "slightly less of a rip off" deals. Generally (imo) I notice TECH retailers over here tend to reduce prices (somewhat) for either old stock which is generally years behind the level of TECH a viable in say the US, OR if it's the latest stuff on offer here then it's almost always inflated to around 150% or more of what one could pick it up for elsewhere. Perhaps some others in my country do know of tricks to pick up better deals- however from my part I've generally always struggled to do so. However, I've set myself a challenge this year to try my best to at least get my hands on something decent for a FAIRLY reasonable price- I guess we'll just have to wait to see what November brings. The one thing I know that irks me (besides greedy reatailers over-inflating prices on TECH brought into Africa) is the shipping costs buying stuff from the US or Europe for example. With Covid, overseas shipping costs have obviously skyrocketed well beyond a reasonable amount. I actually couldn't help seeing the funny side though- I was looking at RAM on an overseas seller's listing - the shipping costs were almost 100% higher than the sales price of the actual item.. it's crazy!

There's no perceptible benefit to expensive proprietary G-Sync vs. inexpensive VESA standard adaptive sync (aka AMD's FreeSync).
Since NVidia finally quit blocking it in their drivers in 2019, you can get variable refresh rate with a GeForce 10xx or newer card over DisplayPort using a FreeSync monitor. I'm doing that right now. Look for a monitor that meets the "Freesync Premium" performance level of 120+ Hz refresh and Low Framerate Compensation.
If you have a Freesync monitor and a DisplayPort 1.4 cable, you're fine with either a Radeon or GeForce graphics card.. However, Freesync over HDMI is a Radeon or console thing.
This gives me some great perspective on the situation surrounding FreeSync etc. Thanks!

Uhm, that's a G-Sync compatible display though. I think the discussion here is for non approved displays.
I wish Nvidia could fix their filtering or data input on that site though, as they have five separate entries for 4K.

These are some very helpful links and I'll check them out - I'm actually in a much better position now to make better informed buying decisions. I appreciate the links and your advice. Thanks a lot.

Lots of nice new tech planned for release this year, also at nice new price points...

I would say avoid the 3060 if possible, it has a massive performance gap to the 3060Ti. Maybe even consider the 6700XT, if you can get one at launch pricing.

As for screen size, I guess it comes down to what you like/what you're used to, I have a 27" 4K screen and couldn't go down in resolution from that.
Also on your earlier comment on 3060Ti, I've since done some further research into it and I actually agree with you 100% - the 3060 vs. TI - it seems like chalk and cheese. Sheer brute GPU performance, the 3060Ti is definitely worth the extra cash outlay I think.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nowhere is as cheap as the US. I mean, a lot of the stuff is made here, or close to here, yet it costs as much here as it does in Europe, which is just insane when you consider the much shorter shipping distances.
There are rarely any real sales here either and Black Friday isn't a thing here. Singles day (11/11) is catching on though...

I used to send gear to a friend in South Africa around a decade or two ago, as I got a lot of free gear through work back then.

Also on your earlier comment on 3060Ti, I've since done some further research into it and I actually agree with you 100% - the 3060 vs. TI - it seems like chalk and cheese. Sheer brute GPU performance, the 3060Ti is definitely worth the extra cash outlay I think.
Yeah, the 3060 is a weird product, although I guess we don't know how the rumoured 3050Ti will stack up, but compared to the 3060Ti, it's really not worth the investment.
I guess Nvidia made space for a 3060 Super?

These are some very helpful links and I'll check them out - I'm actually in a much better position now to make better informed buying decisions. I appreciate the links and your advice. Thanks a lot.
Not a problem.

SMR

I checked out the Cg437k quite a bit, following your link and digging deeper. It does seem like another good option.

One reviewer on YouTube seems convinced of running nothing less than an RTX 3080 or 6800xt as the absolute minimum GPU coupled with this Acer Predator monitor, in order to gain the 4K benefits from it's display capabilities - your thoughts on that opinion?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Thanks for those recommendations. The Philips Momentum (the newer model you added in the link description) actually looks amazing and I'm very tempted. I think patience is definitely a virtue for 2021 - waiting for GPU prices and component prices to drop (hopefully) and also for some decent HDMI 2.1 monitors to come out, as you said.

So two more questions:

1. With an aim at 1440p gaming (at least), would you say that with a RTX 3060 / 3060 TI, a 6 core CPU min and 16gb, that's a sweet spot (in terms of a PC rig) for unleashing the full potential of these large monitors?

2. Do you feel the price of the larger monitor is worth the heftier investment, in terms of pure gaming enjoyment on the larger display? I admit I'm hesitant to go any smaller, as in to 24-32 inch screens, since I've been gaming on a 55inch Samsung 4k Tv and I suspect I'm now set on that size.

What's are you thoughts on the above?

That would depend on the games you play, but i was after a 40-43" but playing fast passed games required spending around $700+.

My thinking was as my current HDTV is 11 years old now surely they improved over the time but mainly only Amazon being available to buy from it's just to much hassle if some things wrong.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64

SMR

The other question I want to raise for this thread is regarding my current setup - I'm interested to find out opinions of community members on this:

So as mentioned I'm running an older card - Gtx 970 with a 4 core I5 processor. The rig is connected to a Samsung 4k UHD 55" TV. The resolution is set to 3840 x 2160 (recommended).

So, results of the above config. in the games I've played on it are as follows:

In older titles such as Shadow of War and Arkham Knight, for example, pretty decent-average I reckon, the former bringing intermittent tearing on screen during the faster Batmobile gameplay through the streets. With SOW, I admit the experience is visually better overall, but I do find an annoying red screen hangs for about 3 secs between cut sequences or map jumps.

On Starcraft II I found the general gameplay is easy on the eyes but the problems start in cut sequences - the opening Protoss movie being the absolute worst for creating HUGELY DISTRACTING tears in the screen during the fastest parts of the cut scene sequence.

The best RESULTS from a PC game I've played on the Tv display with my current rig is from Diablo 3 - to my eyes, playing on that Samsung TV - well it's pretty flawless.

As old as what it is, I still run all game settings on High or some games on Ultra. However, I realise modern AAA's are pretty much requiring a 6 core CPU and I guess at least an RTX 3000 to run well @1440p or even entry level 4K.

So my thoughts regarding the issues I experienced with gaming on my current TV display are THREE-fold :

my problems lie in -

A: the GPU is underpowered for the 4k 60ghz TV display,
B: the screen resolution is a too much of a stretch for the GPU and
C: The Samsung 55" UHD is a TV, obviously not a true gaming monitor with such a good refresh rate - response time etc.

Am I right or is there anything I'm missing?

That would depend on the games you play, but i was after a 40-43" but playing fast passed games required spending around $700+.

My thinking was as my current HDTV is 11 years old now surely they improved over the time but mainly only Amazon being available to buy from it's just to much hassle if some things wrong.
Both the $700-$1500 price-point (plus fairly expensive shipping fees) is what I'm actually expecting to pay, should I decide to order a new gaming monitor through Amazon. I've never before ordered such high-value tech items through them however, so what you've mentioned about the possible hassles with returns in case of faulty items does worry me.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
The other question I want to raise for this thread is regarding my current setup - I'm interested to find out opinions of community members on this:

So as mentioned I'm running an older card - Gtx 970 with a 4 core I5 processor. The rig is connected to a Samsung 4k UHD 55" TV. The resolution is set to 3840 x 2160 (recommended).

So, results of the above config. in the games I've played on it are as follows:

In older titles such as Shadow of War and Arkham Knight, for example, pretty decent-average I reckon, the former bringing intermittent tearing on screen during the faster Batmobile gameplay through the streets. With SOW, I admit the experience is visually better overall, but I do find an annoying red screen hangs for about 3 secs between cut sequences or map jumps.

On Starcraft II I found the general gameplay is easy on the eyes but the problems start in cut sequences - the opening Protoss movie being the absolute worst for creating HUGELY DISTRACTING tears in the screen during the fastest parts of the cut scene sequence.

The best RESULTS from a PC game I've played on the Tv display with my current rig is from Diablo 3 - to my eyes, playing on that Samsung TV - well it's pretty flawless.

As old as what it is, I still run all game settings on High or some games on Ultra. However, I realise modern AAA's are pretty much requiring a 6 core CPU and I guess at least an RTX 3000 to run well @1440p or even entry level 4K.

So my thoughts regarding the issues I experienced with gaming on my current TV display are THREE-fold :

my problems lie in -

A: the GPU is underpowered for the 4k 60ghz TV display,
B: the screen resolution is a too much of a stretch for the GPU and
C: The Samsung 55" UHD is a TV, obviously not a true gaming monitor with such a good refresh rate - response time etc.

Am I right or is there anything I'm missing?

Both the $700-$1500 price-point (plus fairly expensive shipping fees) is what I'm actually expecting to pay, should I decide to order a new gaming monitor through Amazon. I've never before ordered such high-value tech items through them however, so what you've mentioned about the possible hassles with returns in case of faulty items does worry me.

Faulty well that's just bad luck, but more on about ghosting and a like, all so i had a real problem 11 years ago buying one due to how the colors were, like then i was in to Diablo 3 and Titens Quest which the desert regardless how the monitors\TV's were set up were near always over orange. This old ass TV does not have that issue but has others HAHA.

Maybe go wal mart or even other stores and personally check them out if possible.