• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need to know about Synology NAS DiskStation, Please reply

System Name To be ALL IN ONE MACHINE. but not yet
Processor i7 3770k
Motherboard Asus P8Z&&-V Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow
Memory Gskill Ripjaws 1600Mhz 8GB *4 = 32GB
Storage Samsung pro 840 256GB, Segate 3TB and 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" Full HD LED
Case Antec LanBoy Air
Power Supply Cooler Master M2 Silent Pro 850 Watts
Software Windows 7 ulimate 64bit
Dear All,

I just wanted to know , what are uses of Synology Diskstation (Let say ,Synology DiskStation DS718+)

I mean , I need to know, with Synology Diskstation.
1. Can I host my site on Synology DiskStation and access over the internet anywhere in the world, do I need to buy Public IP for that?
2. Can Host Vmware machine on my Synology DisktSation and access over internet ?
3. Can I create my Private Cloud and access over internet?
4. Can I keep my movies on Synology DiskStation and access over Internet on my Phone?

I wish to buy one, but before that I need to know what are thungs I can do with it, Kindly advise.

Thanks

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
I can't speak for synology per se (I have QNap). They provide a lightweight DNS solution last time I checked. A few things you probably need to answer for others to chime in:

Does your ISP provide a static IP address?
What is your ISP plan upload speed? ...that will affect how fast people can access files from you.

System Name To be ALL IN ONE MACHINE. but not yet
Processor i7 3770k
Motherboard Asus P8Z&&-V Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow
Memory Gskill Ripjaws 1600Mhz 8GB *4 = 32GB
Storage Samsung pro 840 256GB, Segate 3TB and 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" Full HD LED
Case Antec LanBoy Air
Power Supply Cooler Master M2 Silent Pro 850 Watts
Software Windows 7 ulimate 64bit
I can't speak for synology per se (I have QNap). They provide a lightweight DNS solution last time I checked. A few things you probably need to answer for others to chime in:

Does your ISP provide a static IP address?
What is your ISP plan upload speed? ...that will affect how fast people can access files from you.
I will buy Static Public IP Address, 10MBPS

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
I have a DS716+ II and am fairly unhappy about it. The OS is pretty lackluster, you can't configure much, and it feels kind of slow.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Dear All,

I just wanted to know , what are uses of Synology Diskstation (Let say ,Synology DiskStation DS718+)

I mean , I need to know, with Synology Diskstation.
1. Can I host my site on Synology DiskStation and access over the internet anywhere in the world, do I need to buy Public IP for that?
2. Can Host Vmware machine on my Synology DisktSation and access over internet ?
3. Can I create my Private Cloud and access over internet?
4. Can I keep my movies on Synology DiskStation and access over Internet on my Phone?

I wish to buy one, but before that I need to know what are thungs I can do with it, Kindly advise.

Thanks

I'll try and answer a few of these as I've been using Synology for a while now..

1. I believe that you can, not that I've done it but I believe there'll be a few how to's on how to do it..
2. Synology is ideally for low powered NAS device, running VMs on it, is perhaps not the best idea. The hardware might not be powerful enough to do whatever you need it to do. As an example, I have a dual core with HT in mine, it's not going to be very powerful but then it was never built with that in mind.. VM's best possibly kept separate if I'm honest.
3 & 4. I believe yes you can. There's a few Apps you can download on the phones that would allow you access your files, videos and such. Providing your upload speed on your home broadband is decent enough, you should be able to watch some video or at least stream some music.
The DS File app allows you to upload anything from your phone to your diskstation (Synology) and is brilliant if you do loose your phone or something happens to it. Personally, I don't save details just in case because if it was stolen, it'll be an easy way in for someone who knows what they are doing.

I hope that helps and hope you find a system right for you :)