• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need urgent: Limit RealTemp only to one instance

ethaniel

I've noticed that I can start RealTemp more than once. Is it possible to add an option to limit RealTemp to only one instance, no matter how much it starts?
Running RealTemp more than once causes problems if logging is enabled.
I have a script that reads the logfile and then deletes it every 10-20 seconds. RealTemp recreates it, but if multiple instances of RealTemp are running then this file gets lost.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
"Restraint "
Just Start it once ( do you have it set to start with your version of windows

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It's been 6 years since we've seen a new version of RealTemp released, but I'm sure the author will get right on releasing a new version just to fix an issue that can be fixed simply by the user using restraint and not opening it more than once...

dorsetknob

There is a Beta Ver 4 in Testing (Private invite only )

ethaniel

Long story.

Since there are no available options for windows to quickly access the CPU temperature from command line or a script, I decided to use RealTemp with logging enabled.
Since my system is automated (it is a encoder for a beach webcam), most of the tasks are automated.

I'm starting RealTemp from a script (unfortunately, tasklist and taskkill are not available for me). The script checks for the logfile, reads the last line and deletes the file. Then processes what's in that last line.
If the file isn't there after 60 seconds, the script assumes that RealTemp is dead and starts it again. I'm not sure why, but I'm getting a scenario where hundreds of RealTemp's are launched and the system dies. I think this has to do with the sandboxing that I use on the system, but that's a different story.

Anyways, it makes logical sense to limit RealTemp to only one instance.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Well one option would be to use an alternate utility such as HWiNFO ... provides a lot more info and AFAIk won't launch a 2nd session.

ethaniel

Well one option would be to use an alternate utility such as HWiNFO ... provides a lot more info and AFAIk won't launch a 2nd session.
Unfortunately, HWiNFO is too heavy for my system. 100% of my 4 cores are loaded with encoding, anything else on top of that slows down the encoding process :(

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Long story.

Since there are no available options for windows to quickly access the CPU temperature from command line or a script, I decided to use RealTemp with logging enabled.
Since my system is automated (it is a encoder for a beach webcam), most of the tasks are automated.

I'm starting RealTemp from a script (unfortunately, tasklist and taskkill are not available for me). The script checks for the logfile, reads the last line and deletes the file. Then processes what's in that last line.
If the file isn't there after 60 seconds, the script assumes that RealTemp is dead and starts it again. I'm not sure why, but I'm getting a scenario where hundreds of RealTemp's are launched and the system dies. I think this has to do with the sandboxing that I use on the system, but that's a different story.

Anyways, it makes logical sense to limit RealTemp to only one instance.

Then your script needs some work, perhaps...

Another route may be to use Rivatuner OSD because you can also add CPU logging in there and it limits sessions, you can adjust polling rate... lots of options there that can be of use to your situation.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
or he needs a faster system if if can't handle a extra 0.5% cpu load and probably better cooling if hes having to watch the temps

realtemp is unsupported inaccurate graveware please do not use

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@ethaniel - The never publicly released RealTemp 4.00 does not start multiple instances of itself. It is only designed for the 4 core CPUs. Lots of new features. Just never had the time or hardware available to finish it off. Let me know if you want to test it out and I will send you a download link.

dorsetknob

realtemp is unsupported inaccurate graveware please do not use
Harsh comment especially as the Software writer @unclewebb posts here Regularly as seen in the post following yours

unclewebb

graveware
Harsh comment

Harsh but true. RealTemp 3.70 is graveware. I kind of like that term. Maybe the next version should be called, RealTemp, Back from the Grave Edition. :D

I have continued to update RealTemp periodically but have never bothered to release it. There are lots of other monitoring apps available to fill the void. I think RealTemp 4.00 works great. Lots of new features and it supports Intel's 8th Gen Core i CPUs but at the moment, it only fully supports the 4 core CPUs. The economy went to poop up here a few years ago so no extra cash to buy new toys like an 8700K for development purposes.

Here is where development is currently at.

There is a slightly redesigned main screen with VID, power consumption and package temperature reporting. The Nvidia GPU reporting feature respects Optimus so on laptops, it will not constantly wake up the Nvidia GPU and drain your battery. A new and improved multi threaded benchmark with a good looking logo on it. Core and package C State reporting as well as a little window that will tell you if your CPU is throttling like a wounded animal. There is another window that can be used to adjust your turbo power limits so you could easily change your 95 Watt CPU into a low power S or U series CPU.

Lots of new goodies to play with.

Last edited:
You let me have a copy of V4 quite some time ago (exe file dated October 2017) - that was great as it fixed the bug where the icons keep vanishing from the system area.

Now I have a i7-8700K and would love a version that shows all six cores.

I would be happy to help you by testing any number of new versions that show all the cores. (I am an old-time IT person, happy to help you.)

When I last looked I could not find any program that does what RealTemp does, without a huge amount of unwanted software. I really think you should let everyone have V4, as it is, even with the four core limit.

unclewebb

@Growltiger - I was hoping to get an updated RealTemp GT 6 core version finished off before the next release but I agree that releasing the 4 core version as is would be the best thing to do. It solved ethaniel's problem as far as I know. There are lots of new features that will keep many people happy. A 6 core version is probably still a long way off into the future.

Does the 4 core version read your 8700K CPU speed OK? It also reads the Package temperature which is the hottest temperature anywhere on the 6 cores or anywhere else on the CPU package. If I had a 6 core CPU, I would only want to look at a single temperature number in the system tray so RealTemp 4 is good enough for that purpose.

Have you ever tried using ThrottleStop? It is fully updated, it works perfect with the 8700K and is available for free on TechPowerUp. It shows information for all the cores and all the threads and a whole lot more. It is based on the original RealTemp code but was made more efficient along the way. It is my fav. That's why I don't bother working on RealTemp much anymore. Too time consuming trying to keep multiple programs updated given the speed that Intel releases new CPUs.

@Growltiger - I was hoping to get an updated RealTemp GT 6 core version finished off before the next release but I agree that releasing the 4 core version as is would be the best thing to do. It solved ethaniel's problem as far as I know. There are lots of new features that will keep many people happy. A 6 core version is probably still a long way off into the future.

Does the 4 core version read your 8700K CPU speed OK? It also reads the Package temperature which is the hottest temperature anywhere on the 6 cores or anywhere else on the CPU package. If I had a 6 core CPU, I would only want to look at a single temperature number in the system tray so RealTemp 4 is good enough for that purpose.

Have you ever tried using ThrottleStop? It is fully updated, it works perfect with the 8700K and is available for free on TechPowerUp. It shows information for all the cores and all the threads and a whole lot more. It is based on the original RealTemp code but was made more efficient along the way. It is my fav. That's why I don't bother working on RealTemp much anymore. Too time consuming trying to keep multiple programs updated given the speed that Intel releases new CPUs.
The package temperature works fine.

Yes, it shows the speed continuously, it is correct.

I'll take a look at ThrottleStop, thanks.