• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Neo Forza NFP075 2 TB

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
With $220 for the 2 TB version, the Neo Forza eSports NFP075 is a well-priced SSD based on the trusty combination of the Phison E12S controller and 96-layer 3D TLC NAND from Toshiba. In our performance tests, it achieved good performance comparable to the Crucial P5, Samsung 970 EVO, HP EX950, and Kingston A2000.

Show full review

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
That seems really solid.

The only downsides are:
  • It's not PCIe 4.0 - which doesn't matter because neither is anything else at this price
  • It has a small SLC cache - which doesn't matter because the performance when the cache runs out is still excellent
  • The thermal sensor is inaccurate, which doesn't matter because this drive's thermals are good anyway.
I feel like you were scraping the barrely to find something to write in the downsides column, and that's a good thing.

May I inquire about what's holding this back from being an Editor's Choice?
This seems to hit all the marks, solid performance at an excellent price point ... ? (Or is that reserved to - overpriced - cutting-edge, enthusiast-grade hardware only?)

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
May I inquire about what's holding this back from being an Editor's Choice?
This seems to hit all the marks, solid performance at an excellent price point ... ?
That is a great question, I thought about it for a while, it was really close. I felt like the small SLC cache and the 3-year warranty are the last missing bits, especially since they are really easy to implement. Maybe also DRAM being 512 MB on a 2 TB drive

I see.
Honestly, I don't feel like the SLC is much of an issue given that it still manages to sustain 1GBps post it. Imho it's only an issue for drives that throttle (well) below SATA speeds, which are increasingly rare these days (and/or QLC scams, but you wouldn't want to purchase those to begin with for usually multiple reasons). The amount of people for whom this performance matter you can probably count on a hand, and generally are those who are knowledgeable and will purchase something suitable for their needs accordingly.
Kinda feel the same about the DRAM; yes it is a cost-cutting measure obv but as long as it doesn't hamstring the performance (which it evidently doesn't), I'm perfectly fine with it. A sensible, price conscious product will have to cut corners at some point. It's all about making the worthwhile tradeoffs that don't sacrifice too much performance while keeping costs down.
And as we can see from the test results, these corners are all well-cut in the sense that they're done in such a way that the drive still performs well in most usage scenarios.

I can see your point about the warranty, but honestly I feel like 3 years is aplenty, especially considering that longer warranties usually incur higher costs which are all passed down to the customer in one way or another.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
That is a great question, I thought about it for a while, it was really close. I felt like the small SLC cache and the 3-year warranty are the last missing bits, especially since they are really easy to implement. Maybe also DRAM being 512 MB on a 2 TB drive
Yeah, other drives make use of dynamic SLC cache size which is nice to have when the drive is empty. I don't know if that's a possibility in firmware with the Phison E12, or whether it's an exclusive feature of QLC NAND.

It's still a great drive but competition is fierce in this market segment and you can't just shit out Editor's Choice awards for every drive that isn't bad.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
I see.
Honestly, I don't feel like the SLC is much of an issue given that it still manages to sustain 1GBps post it. Imho it's only an issue for drives that throttle (well) below SATA speeds, which are increasingly rare these days (and/or QLC scams, but you wouldn't want to purchase those to begin with for usually multiple reasons). The amount of people for whom this performance matter you can probably count on a hand, and generally are those who are knowledgeable and will purchase something suitable for their needs accordingly.
Kinda feel the same about the DRAM; yes it is a cost-cutting measure obv but as long as it doesn't hamstring the performance (which it evidently doesn't), I'm perfectly fine with it. A sensible, price conscious product will have to cut corners at some point. It's all about making the worthwhile tradeoffs that don't sacrifice too much performance while keeping costs down.
And as we can see from the test results, these corners are all well-cut in the sense that they're done in such a way that the drive still performs well in most usage scenarios.

I can see your point about the warranty, but honestly I feel like 3 years is aplenty, especially considering that longer warranties usually incur higher costs which are all passed down to the customer in one way or another.
These are 100% valid points, and exactly how I wish everyone consumed my reviews: consider my conclusions as food for thought to figure out your own opinion, based on the data I present

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
At first, I had a little buyer's remorse. I just bought a 1TB Samsung 980 because I decided 2TB drives were too expensive in comparison to 1TB drives. Then I tried finding one of these and I could not find one listed anywhere for sale. I'm not just saying in stock, I mean for sale at all! I'm using the 980 as a gaming drive only. So I was willing to take a chance on a cheaper drive but again I didn't see the value in saving $20 to get an unknown brand or a QLC drive.

Oh, and I didn't want anything with a Realtek controller on it. I still don't trust them after the first generation SSD controllers they made.

Last edited: