• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NeoGAF Back Up After Sexual Assault Allegations Culminated in Offline Weekend

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Users familiar with the gaming-related, mainstay forum NeoGAF have been put through a convoluted last days, to say the least. Over the weekend, users found themselves unable to access the popular forums, due to what was being called "scheduled maintenance". However, NeoGAF being a forum, details have surfaced regarding exactly why the popular web mainstay for gamers was down. Accusations sprung up against NeoGAF Tyler 'Evilore' Malka of having sexually assaulted Texas filmmaker Ima Leupp, which in turn led to an exodus of staff, at odds with what they legitimately see as inexcusable (even if as of yet unproven) conduct - and without staff, there's really no way to run a forum such as NeoGAF.

Accompanying the site's sudden jump back to life was a statement from Malka, where the forum owner explains that "An allegation of sexual misconduct has been made against me by an ex. It's not true, the individual making the accusation isn't credible, the story doesn't reconcile logically with the facts, and there's plenty of evidence and witnesses to corroborate that. It'll be a process." Whether or not that is enough to stir the doubts that erupted within the NeoGAF community - both users and staff - is anybody's guess, but the fact that multiple users - including just approved accounts - have been banned - in some cases, preemptively so - doesn't bode well. Additionally, NeoGAF's "off-topic" section is being temporarily closed, but it has been announced that upon its return, all discussions about politics and social discourse will be banned. Some digital ink is still bound to be laid down in the sand before the full consequences of this event have made themselves known.

In the as-of-yet developing aftermath of these event, though, former NeoGAF admins, moderators and members of the Official NeoGAF Discord account have coalesced around a new gaming platform, which they're calling ResetEra. site admins say they expect to bring the site online today, as they said yesterday: "Progress on the new forum is going well, we have secured hosting and are waiting for the server to come online. Assuming no unforeseen complications, we should be up and running by tomorrow."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
There forum is so overwhelming. Thousands of threads. It's an abyss of threads.

System Name HP ProLiant DL360P G8
Processor 2x Xeon e2690
Motherboard HP
Cooling 6 Delta fans
Memory 192gb ECC ddr3 @1333
Video Card(s) Quadro k4200
Storage 4x 1.2TB Dell SAS raid 0
Display(s) iDrac over IP
Case HP 1U
Power Supply 2x 1100w Platinum PSUs
Mouse iDrac
Keyboard iDrac
Software Windows Server 2019
Lots of media reps, devs, and other significantly positioned people are posting threads on how the general sentiment for the site has forever changed and are opting to leave.
Needless to say, this will not bode well for the site's reputation (whatever's left of) nor its revenue.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
that forum is such a mess. They have threads that are for consoles and others for PC and so on. They really need split threads into different subjects.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Never heard of it. Guess I am better off.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
NeoGAF is cancer anyway. They are like a cult. Follow their cultist beliefs to the letter or get banned. Who the hell wants to stay there except cult leaders and mentally blind people?

What I was going to say.

I kind of liked it 10 years ago though. For all of their faults, they had worthwhile opinions on games (especially the console world). Same goes for RPGCodex...which is 100 times worse. NeoGAF isn't even in the same category. But they know good RPGs. :p

I rather say few words about games here on TPU than be anywhere near NeoGAF. I heard it used to be a cool place for game developers and gamers. And then it went full social justice. And now that's where it is.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I rather say few words about games here on TPU than be anywhere near NeoGAF. I heard it used to be a cool place for game developers and gamers. And then it went full social justice. And now that's where it is.

That's what I mean by 10+ yrs ago. Same goes for RPGCodex somewhat. Except they're not SJWs. They're the other extreme, and that also makes it a huge turnoff. And chased some devs away.

Processor 2x Xeon e2690
Motherboard HP
Cooling 6 Delta fans
Display(s) iDrac over IP
Case HP 1U
Mouse iDrac
Keyboard iDrac
Never heard of it. Guess I am better off.

Same here. Couldn't have been that big..

The special snowflakes of the world are getting seriously out of control.

That's what I mean by 10+ yrs ago. Same goes for RPGCodex somewhat. Except they're not SJWs. They're the other extreme, and that also makes it a huge turnoff. And chased some devs away.

Neogaf had a lot of game devs and reps as members, and usually they'd take notice off the general community's feedback for MANY games meaning that the site did have a huge influence on the gaming world, unfortunately there was the "Off Topic" community which tended to overdo/overjudge things and started to slowly shun the good members away.
I guess this was the last drop that finally over-poured the glass, and boy what a "drop" it was.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
How fickle people are...

While the allegations are serious and deplorable, im surprised so many bailed, so many 'close' to the owner. Social justice warrior sounds about right...until this is settled.

meaning that the site did have a huge influence on the gaming world
Huge? Seriously? How big could it have been if it's been around so long and there are more than a few people who have no idea who they are? And how much influence could such an entity have? Nintendo and Sony are huge. Microsoft, Apple and Google are huge. ARM, Intel, AMD and Nvidia are huge. Tom's Hardware, AnAndTech and TechPowerUp[wink wink] are huge. Neogaf is nothing by comparison. Let's keep things in perspective shall we?

System Name Royal Fortune (Main)/Adventure Galley (NAS)/Little Ranger (HTPC)
Processor Intel i5 4460/AMD C-70/Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Ed.
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 5/Asrock C-70M1/Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX/Stock/Raijintek Triton Core
Memory 8GB Team Group Dark 1600 CL9/8GB Team Group Elite 1600 CL9/8GB Avexir Core 1600
Video Card(s) VTX3D R9 280X 3GB/APU/Palit GTX 750 TI StormX Duo
Storage 120GB Team Group Ultra L5 SSD + 1TB WD Black/4 X 2TB WD Blue/120 GB Kingston V300
Display(s) Dell 2310/AOC e2070Swn 19.5"/TV
Case In Win 707/Bitfenix Prodigy M/Dimastech Easy V3
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GS 650W/be quiet! System Power 7 350W/Xigmatek Maverick 400W
Mouse Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex/Razer Abyssus/-
Keyboard Corsair K70 Red/Steelseries Apex Raw/Logitech K400
Software Win10/FreeNAS 9.3/KodiBuntu
How fickle people are...

While the allegations are serious and deplorable, im surprised so many bailed, so many 'close' to the owner. Social justice warrior sounds about right...until this is settled.
If those who bailed were part of the "inner circle", they just might know things you don't.
Don't use SJW as a put-down, unless you have all the facts...this is TPU, not Reddit!

Let me bold the part missed. :)

Social justice warrior sounds about right...until this is settled.

I'm with you, and was the reason why I intentionally said that. You are assuming they know something and are flying off the handle...also without facts... like reddit. ;)

Thought I did well there in saying that... I guess not! :p

Memory 8GB Team Group Dark 1600 CL9/8GB Team Group Elite 1600 CL9/8GB Avexir Core 1600
Storage 120GB Team Group Ultra L5 SSD + 1TB WD Black/4 X 2TB WD Blue/120 GB Kingston V300
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GS 650W/be quiet! System Power 7 350W/Xigmatek Maverick 400W
Let me bold the part missed. :)

I'm with you, and was the reason why I intentionally said that. You are assuming they know something and are flying off the handle...also without facts... like reddit. ;)

Thought I did well there in saying that... I guess not! :p
I'm not assuming anything, but using SJW as a negative makes you look...slightly stupid, to be honest, and that is not how I, usually, think of you.
(edited for spelling, and grammar...well,some of it, at least)

You are right, you are not assuming anything and simply posted the other side. My fault there.

The term SJW is a pejorative/has negative connotations anyway. But I digress...

However, there is absolutely no reason for the insults. Wow. :wtf:

EDIT: I see you edited/had a typo on the insult at the end there (added NOT how I think of you, LOL! No worries. :)

Last edited:
Processor 2x Xeon e2690
Motherboard HP
Cooling 6 Delta fans
Display(s) iDrac over IP
Case HP 1U
Mouse iDrac
Keyboard iDrac
Huge? Seriously? How big could it have been if it's been around so long and there are more than a few people who have no idea who they are? And how much influence could such an entity have? Nintendo and Sony are huge. Microsoft, Apple and Google are huge. ARM, Intel, AMD and Nvidia are huge. Tom's Hardware, AnAndTech and TechPowerUp[wink wink] are huge. Neogaf is nothing by comparison. Let's keep things in perspective shall we?

First of all, CALM DOWN, you're seriously coming off a bit aggressive.
Secondly, yes, the site was very significant in the gaming industry, but not in the sense of those other companies you're listing but more in the way that MANY high-placed figures (employees) were active members sharing feedback from major developing names, their releases, future games, and even inside updates.

I personally will not name anyone in particular because that's what made NeoGaf a great place in which you could hide behind a username/pseudonym yet hold a high chair at nintendo/MS/nvidia/sony while keeping your NDA intact (since most of them were not at liberty to share who they worked for but sometimes it was obvious)

All I'm saying is that the neogaf community did hold a serious influence in a few types of media and having it go down like this is definitely a hit close to home.

If you don't agree, that's fine, simply respect my opinion without becoming aggressive, and if you have minute or two to spare, feel free to google "neogaf in game reference"

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member

Completely different industries. NeoGAF was a legitimately important place for the gaming industry as mentioned before, but not necessarily for the actual hardware running the games where we and others come in.

Also, to everyone here- let's keep it civil.

Audio Device(s) N/A
You are right, you are not assuming anything and simply posted the other side. My fault there.

The term SJW is a pejorative/has negative connotations anyway. But I digress...

However, there is absolutely no reason for the insults. Wow. :wtf:

EDIT: I see you edited/had a typo on the insult at the end there (added NOT how I think of you, LOL! No worries. :)

Sorry if I offended you, but I have two decent excuses.
A) I am a bartender, so I tend to keep it simple, short and loud...the way I have to communicate at work
B) I am a former Redskin (left-wing skinhead), and I have, literally, fought for social justice..guess that makes me easy to trigger :)
No malice intended, just me being me.

First of all, CALM DOWN, you're seriously coming off a bit aggressive.
Wait. o_O You think that was aggressive? Ok. :kookoo:
Secondly, yes, the site was very significant in the gaming industry, but not in the sense of those other companies you're listing but more in the way that MANY high-placed figures (employees) were active members sharing feedback from major developing names, their releases, future games, and even inside updates.
Um, sure. How does that matter in the context of my response to you? <hint, it does not>
I personally will not name anyone in particular because that's what made NeoGaf a great place in which you could hide behind a username/pseudonym yet hold a high chair at nintendo/MS/nvidia/sony while keeping your NDA intact (since most of them were not at liberty to share who they worked for but sometimes it was obvious)
Names don't matter. And seems like you're trying to justify your position as if it were intimately linked to your self-esteem. The only point I was trying to make was that neogaf just wasn't/isn't as "huge" as you implied if many people have never heard of them.
All I'm saying is that the neogaf community did hold a serious influence in a few types of media and having it go down like this is definitely a hit close to home.
Ok, now here's a statement that has some logical validity. It's a site that's important to some, you included apparently, and would be sad to lose. That's really all you had to say.
If you don't agree, that's fine, simply respect my opinion without becoming aggressive, and if you have minute or two to spare, feel free to google "neogaf in game reference"
The problem wasn't that you stated an opinion. It's that you made several perspective based declarations simultaneously presenting them as though they were fact, when in fact they were overstated. Thus my lighthearted jab of a response.
Completely different industries.
Context is important. We're talking about a forum dedicated to the gaming industry, correct? All of the entities referenced have a strong, if not direct, impact on the gaming industry. The references, in context, were valid.
NeoGAF was a legitimately important place for the gaming industry as mentioned before, but not necessarily for the actual hardware running the games where we and others come in.
Ok, accepting that perspective.
Also, to everyone here- let's keep it civil.
Fair enough. :peace:

EDIT; This seems to be a thing;
EDIT; This too;
Seriously, I say good riddance!

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
So someone made an unsubstantiated allegation and people left...wow. This is why people suck. Innocent until proven guilty.

We're talking about SJWs man. As much as they fancy themselves enlightened, they're in the same tradition as old European witch hunters. The fact that some are publicly protesting even "free speech" on campuses and have even other left wing advocates alarmed (like the ACLU) should say something. It's only one step away from bonfires and worse.

Kiss my ass if you don't like the label and want to control what people say. That's kind of my point.

If those who bailed were part of the "inner circle", they just might know things you don't.
Don't use SJW as a put-down, unless you have all the facts...this is TPU, not Reddit!

You mean, facts like this (not my message)?

DM7P41rWAAAtXym.jpg

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
You mean, facts like this (not my message)?

View attachment 93389

I've done some things I regret, but hating pedophiles isn't one of them. Hell, the first person I ever punched was some "sick f*ck" older teen who tried to grab me and kiss me. I was 9 years old and had better principles than these people.