• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

.NET Admin modal-- need help

Raúl García

So here's the deal... I have a few questions since I've found lots of info indicating that the app.manifest file into the requestexecutinolevel part, set as "highestAvailable" should avoid asking for admin permission (every time the user runs the program)... But it also says.. that specifying this node... I suppose that into any option between:
"asInvoker"
"Request Admin"
"highestAvailable" would disable virtualization for files and registry.

So there should not be any problem if set onto any other option, but sincerly I have no Idea of what many posts and web data talks about when speaking about "virtualization" except that it is for some kind of protection, and that actually.. Windows is virtualized so your programs (in program files and system specified and well known directories) are not infected with viruses, but since I have no idea what the code I'm working with is doing into sub-programming levels... and the advice is for FILES as well... I' afraid this option could break the way I'm accessing for read and write files and for some reason to be unrepairable.

Actually, I'm using the:

<<my.computer.filesystem.%something(%filedir%) >> method

I've been making this program (and learning through it) for a couple of years... what I've solved is to set the <user>count as admin with an automated cmd process wich actually runs as administrator, and thenset this by activating the users account and adding the user to the net localgroup...

So I can do this with this program calling it with some admin rights, but... this program is also commanded to start by the startup of a process that is called from an (IR) remote control. (controling another program) so...

if anyone has any idea about:

1: Does the level acces set to the highest breaks up with program lenguage into the lower levels?? (system.IO) e.g. (my.computer.filesystem)???

2: Is there any other way of gathering acces to the permissions given for the program, so you can run as administrator with no permission requested set as default??

Any help??

Thnks a lot!!

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
1. The access level obtained via the App.manifest applies to the application as a whole. If you're trying to access a file that requires admin rights, for example, your program will throw an Access Denied exception when trying to access that file unless the user explicitly gave the application administration rights. RequireAdministrator forces the prompt when you run the program asking for elevated permissions.

2. It is easiest/best just to requireAdministrator in the App.manifest but, if you want to have a low rights program run high rights programs, you can use Process.Start giving ProcessStartInfo that contains username/password for the elevated account to use. This is bad form though; if your application does something that requires high rights, just make them give it to you right away via App.manifest.