• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NETGEAR Delivers Advanced Network Protection With New Nighthawk Cybersecurity WiFi Router

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
NETGEAR , Inc. (NASDAQ:NTGR), the leading provider of networking devices that connect smart homes and small businesses to the world, today announced the availability of a new router designed to keep your network secure from online threats, the Nighthawk Cybersecurity AC2300 WiFi Router (RS400). With three years of NETGEAR Armor powered by Bitdefender included, the RS400 is well-matched to provide the best-in-class anti-virus, anti-malware, and data protection for an unlimited number of devices on your network including PCs, laptops, mobile devices, IoT and Smart Home.

Unlike software applications that are installed on laptops or smartphones, the Nighthawk Cybersecurity WiFi Router is designed to provide protection for all the connected devices on your network including vulnerable IoT smart home products. Given that the router directs all incoming and outgoing internet traffic on the network, the router becomes the first line of defense for the connected home. In addition to scanning incoming traffic for security risks, the RS400 also monitors for and can intercept rogue traffic generated from a device, in the event that a device has been hijacked.

Bitdefender's telemetry reveals that 78% of households harbor at least one vulnerable device, and the average household has two vulnerable devices connected. While the number might sound trivial, these vulnerabilities can have a devastating impact on privacy. Another interesting fact the cybersecurity company has uncovered in its study is that 98% of reported incidents are caused by known and unfixed issues that are publicly documented. According to data provided by Bitdefender, 37% of the flaws encountered can result in denial of service (DDoS), while 12% can be used to exfiltrate information from devices on the network and nearly 8% of the vulnerable devices in smart homes can be hijacked via simple code execution.

The total installed base of Internet of Things (IoT) connected devices is projected to amount to 75.44 billion worldwide by 2025, a fivefold increase in ten years. As the number of these vulnerable devices increase and enter the home, a greater risk is posed to the security of personal and financial data. According to Bitdefender research, the average smart home in the United States currently has 10 to 14 internet-connected "things".

As the threat detection happens in real-time in the cloud, this powerful AC2300 MU-MIMO equipped router does not sacrifice on performance while providing the advanced cybersecurity features to ensure that your family is safer from online threats. NETGEAR Armor, powered by Bitdefender, identifies and blocks viruses, spyware, ransomware and malicious links to protect your family from scams. With regular scans of all the connected devices on the home network you can be assured that computers, tablets, smartphones thermostats, lighting and smart home devices are less vulnerable to hackers. The instant alerts provide notification via your smartphone, tablet or computer when these threats are detected or blocked.

With yet another layer of control, the RS400 also includes Circle smart parenting controls wherein parents will be able to easily manage the family's internet use, set bedtimes, limit daily internet time for specific websites, apps, as well as filter settings for family members to match their age and interests.

"In this era of heightened concern around the security of online data, NETGEAR believes that it is crucial to provide a powerful WiFi router that is also capable of safeguarding a network from online threats," said Sandeep Harpalani, vice president of product line management for Connected Home Products at NETGEAR. "We have again partnered with Bitdefender, one of the leading providers of internet cybersecurity software, to deliver a cost-effective solution with robust network protection."

With its multi-layered cyberthreat protection, the Nighthawk Cybersecurity Router is also ideal for small businesses or a home office. Business-grade antivirus software with multiple licenses comes at high cost and may get excessive as you add devices to a network. With a more complete security solution that includes identity-theft protection, password managers and anti-malware protection, costing nearly double an initial license. Since the RS400 is easy to install and manage, there is also no need for additional information technology (IT) infrastructure or support staff to protect a small business from bad actors intent on cybercrime.

Pricing and Availability:
The Nighthawk AC2300 Cybersecurity WiFi Router (RS400), which includes three years of NETGEAR Armor , is now available through authorized NETGEAR retail partners and other reseller channels, ecommerce sites, and major retailers, at an MSRP of $299.99 (USD). For continued use of the Armor cybersecurity beyond the three-year included subscription there it will be available for an annual fee of $69.99.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
True story.... A lot of these routers that are made in the same chassis suffer from overheating issues - Mine does too.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Not really certain it's worth $300 just for some security software package thats built into what looks to be essentially the same as the previous NiteHawk boxes... especially since I already have a very secure set-up (which I monitor continually for threats) that has never failed to protect my home/systems/phones/tablets/roku's etc etc...

but @FreedomEclipse.... my R7000 was one of the cooler running boxes I ever had, but of course I had it setting in a well ventilated spot, and my house stays at a comfortable 68F too :)

Sadly, there are tons of people who still think these actually do anything good.

For half the price you can get a decent MikroTik/Rukus/Ubnt/etc., tune it properly and forget you had any worries with the WiFI.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not really certain it's worth $300 just for some security software package thats built into what looks to be essentially the same as the previous NiteHawk boxes... especially since I already have a very secure set-up (which I monitor continually for threats) that has never failed to protect my home/systems/phones/tablets/roku's etc etc...

but @FreedomEclipse.... my R7000 was one of the cooler running boxes I ever had, but of course I had it setting in a well ventilated spot, and my house stays at a comfortable 68F too :)

Mine is also a R7000. SInce its out of warranty i actually cracked it open and replaced some of the EXTREMELY THICC thermal pads inside for copper shims to make better contact with the crappy heatsink they use. Replaced the original rubber feet with thicker ones so it sits higher ontop of my laptop cooler and thats about it. I havent had much problems with it since - FIngers crossed.

Ive been chillin in the DD-WRT forums because they had all the info on how to do it. You'll need a heatgun though.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Mine is also a R7000. SInce its out of warranty i actually cracked it open and replaced some of the EXTREMELY THICC thermal pads inside for copper shims to make better contact with the crappy heatsink they use. Replaced the original rubber feet with thicker ones so it sits higher ontop of my laptop cooler and thats about it. I havent had much problems with it since - FIngers crossed.

Ive been chillin in the DD-WRT forums because they had all the info on how to do it. You'll need a heatgun though.

Yea that sounds like a fun project, however I don't think anyone should have to go thru all that trouble just to get a device to run at decent temps....

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yea that sounds like a fun project, however I don't think anyone should have to go thru all that trouble just to get a device to run at decent temps....

Shouldn't do but some companies don't make that great of a product and secondly we're enthusiasts.

Im out of the warranty period so and this router is actually pretty good when it ls not overheating and I want to keep it rather than throwing money on an entirely new one

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
Apparently all the notices about Netgear's giant security flaws got sent to their marketing department instead of engineering. Now they figured out a way to make extra money from their flawed hardware.