• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NETGEAR Nighthawk M5 5G WiFi 6 Mobile Router

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
NETGEAR has improved upon its Nighthawk mobile router lineup with the Nighthawk M5 that adds a 5G modem in addition to WiFi 6 support. These changes make it a viable solution for many, netting download speeds far in excess of wired internet; it even includes a standalone mobile app for remote monitoring and customization.

Show full review

Ayy, breh! So many things not covered!

Main concern is the lack of bands used in CA for DL and UL, respectively. Not even the modem category is stated (or I missed it)?

Also, with sustained transfers in 5G, the modem WILL overheat, causing it to trip t310 expiry, effectively severing the NR leg in the EN-DC combo. I see no such tests and results here.

As for the device - too cheap, yet too expensive.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Ayy, breh! So many things not covered!

Main concern is the lack of bands used in CA for DL and UL, respectively. Not even the modem category is stated (or I missed it)?

Also, with sustained transfers in 5G, the modem WILL overheat, causing it to trip t310 expiry, effectively severing the NR leg in the EN-DC combo. I see no such tests and results here.

As for the device - too cheap, yet too expensive.
The router comes in different SKUs for different areas, and the specs table on the first page lists the bands supported by the US version. Also, I didn't experience any overheating in 5G mode during testing so of course I didn't talk about it.

Also, I didn't experience any overheating in 5G mode during testing so of course I didn't talk about it.
You don't need to 'see' it. It communicated to network via signaling.
Just put an iperf or a fat download and you should see it after a minute or so, depending on the settings and cooling of the unit. Speed should drop dramatically when modem in only on 4G.
My point is that advertising a fast 5G router without it being able to sustain 'fast' is no-go. But I wonder how many people are familiar with the 5G NSA stack, and how many people look for reviews of such devices to get such information?

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
The same what mobile phone does, wavy speed, only works when attached to window glass.

But I wonder how many people are familiar with the 5G NSA stack, and how many people look for reviews of such devices to get such information?
Exactly, not many people,why don't we have reviews for more mainstream networking products?
An IT with networking expertise, Cisco certification or whatever, probably will not check a review like this, it will just try to arrange for a sample from the local Netgear distributor to evaluate it on hand.
Also there is not enough context (sufficient number of similar products to compare them) for example what's the difference with a ZTE MU5001 5G that it has 1/3 of the Netgear price?

Last edited:
The same what mobile phone does, wavy speed, only works when attached to window glass.
Now, there could be literally a hundred things that could cause a throughput fluctuations but I could argue that an experiment can be devised for successfully determining when the modem drops its 5G leg because of overheating.

As for the case you're using - getting the phone to a window TYPICALLY improves the receive and transmit levels, thus the SNR, thus the better and more stable speeds. Actually, physics is the same no matter if it's a phone or mobile router, or whatever.

Exactly, not many people,why don't we have reviews for more mainstream networking products?
An IT with networking expertise, Cisco certification or whatever, probably will not check a review like this, it will just try to arrange for a sample from the local Netgear distributor to evaluate it on hand.
Also there is not enough context (sufficient number of similar products to compare them) for example what's the difference with a ZTE MU5001 5G that it has 1/3 of the Netgear price?
I for one read most reviews even if I'm familiar with a given product. I'm always interested on another take on the said product.

To wit, I was oogling this particular mobile router some time ago. Not too much in a need for it but I would have appreciated it if someone made a decent review of back then.
And all of that while I'm familiar with the field and the technology.

Of course, that's just me speaking, so we cannot generalize by just one opinion (at least in this case).

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
I don't get it. It seems like a product geared for people who don't have reliable wired broadband...yet, anyone in that group won't have 5G anywhere near them either..sooo?

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Looking at the price, you can pick up any used 5G phone and use it as a modem, take one with a cracked screen. You can use a USB ethernet adapter, that works out of the box... if you need wired, including having 2.5GBe.

Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro
Decent review - thanks for doing it. As someone who has tried a 5G router to replace my 23Mbit connection at home I'd love to see some more tests:
  • Ping jitter when gaming vs other routers or a landline connection - I get a solid 20ms ping on my landline, but on 5G on other routers have seen it fluctuate between 32 and 600ms within a few seconds
  • Packet loss, both when testing straight from idle to packet loss over a few minutes
  • How responsive is it when going from idle to requesting data? The Huwai 5G router would idle at 4G and when you asked for data it would move to 5G, but that move would add latency and sometimes lose packets. This broke many of my IoT devices and Google & Alexas who had noticeably worse response times (and timeouts) if it went from idle when sending a request. It would also break the connections for some devices that would do intermittent connectivity tests which would trigger the 4G>5G switch, which would have packet loss making the devices think they were offline
  • Sustained download speeds - ask it to download a few GB over an hour or two - does it sustain the speed or drop to 4G when it gets warm? Could W1zzard have sent you his thermal camera to see if heat would be an issue?
I know a lot of jitter/packet loss/latency can be network provider dependent (as is download speed) but I'd love to see if the tests show something up, especially when it comes to latency when moving from idle to downloading/uploading and extended download tests as that's where other similar devices fall down through massive latency/packet loss and overheating causing it to drop to 4G in a 5G area.

I don't get it. It seems like a product geared for people who don't have reliable wired broadband...yet, anyone in that group won't have 5G anywhere near them either..sooo?

I have a super strong 5G signal but low broadband speeds, which can be quite typical in the suburbs in the UK at least. I've been looking for a reliable 5G router to try as network download speeds can hit 200-250 down here over 5G on my phone but the other routers I've tested just don't work well if you game or have a bunch of smarthome devices.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Decent review - thanks for doing it. As someone who has tried a 5G router to replace my 23Mbit connection at home I'd love to see some more tests:
  • Ping jitter when gaming vs other routers or a landline connection - I get a solid 20ms ping on my landline, but on 5G on other routers have seen it fluctuate between 32 and 600ms within a few seconds
  • Packet loss, both when testing straight from idle to packet loss over a few minutes
  • How responsive is it when going from idle to requesting data? The Huwai 5G router would idle at 4G and when you asked for data it would move to 5G, but that move would add latency and sometimes lose packets. This broke many of my IoT devices and Google & Alexas who had noticeably worse response times (and timeouts) if it went from idle when sending a request. It would also break the connections for some devices that would do intermittent connectivity tests which would trigger the 4G>5G switch, which would have packet loss making the devices think they were offline
  • Sustained download speeds - ask it to download a few GB over an hour or two - does it sustain the speed or drop to 4G when it gets warm? Could W1zzard have sent you his thermal camera to see if heat would be an issue?
I know a lot of jitter/packet loss/latency can be network provider dependent (as is download speed) but I'd love to see if the tests show something up, especially when it comes to latency when moving from idle to downloading/uploading and extended download tests as that's where other similar devices fall down through massive latency/packet loss and overheating causing it to drop to 4G in a 5G area.
Nice ideas for tests in the future if something like this comes up, right now I don't have a valid data SIM to use here anymore.

I have a super strong 5G signal but low broadband speeds, which can be quite typical in the suburbs in the UK at least. I've been looking for a reliable 5G router to try as network download speeds can hit 200-250 down here over 5G on my phone but the other routers I've tested just don't work well if you game or have a bunch of smarthome devices.
3 words for you - MikroTik Chateau 5G.

Also, 5G NSA (current worldwide implementation) uses 4G for all the signaling and connection establishments. The 5G (NR) leg is added based on operator-configurable parameters. It is also removed the same way.
In 4G (LTE) modems have 2 states: RRC_IDLE and RRC_CONNECTED. These states and the transitions between them can break your upper layers connectivity.

Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 Pro
3 words for you - MikroTik Chateau 5G.

Sadly looks like overkill for me - I have a great wifi network at home so just need a 5G router to plug into it.

Sadly looks like overkill for me - I have a great wifi network at home so just need a 5G router to plug into it.
Ironically, this router costs less than the Quectel modem inside it, if you choose the buy the modem alone from retail! :D I'm buying these only to gut them.

You could maybe just get a decent modem and plug it into your router via USB? You'd need a M.2 to USB adaptor but these are cheap. Well, you'd also need the antenae and jumper cables but there are housings with this exact purpose.

Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ironically, this router costs less than the Quectel modem inside it, if you choose the buy the modem alone from retail! :D I'm buying these only to gut them.

You could maybe just get a decent modem and plug it into your router via USB? You'd need a M.2 to USB adaptor but these are cheap. Well, you'd also need the antenae and jumper cables but there are housings with this exact purpose.

Think I'd rather go with a modem with ethernet as I'm not sure how well my USB port will perform on my router - I guess I could disable the majority of that router but yeah would still feel wasteful. May have a look at the ZTE MC801A as it's a lot cheaper than the Netgear in the review.

The ZTE you are considering is usually working fine. It's just too bulky for what it does, IMO. But price is usually tolerable.

That comment in the review about broadband availability in the USA just made me feel grateful I'm one of the few here to have 1Gbps up/down.